Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virgin E-mail data - where is it please  (Read 71 times)

Offline masterbowl

• Noobie
Virgin E-mail data - where is it please
« on: 03 July 2018, 18:59:20 »
Hi folks.  Was using Virgin e_mail this a.m no probs (decades old user).
PC crashed (w10) so used the "reset" facility to resolve - everything fine (including both Outlook and Gmail) BUT not Virgin.  $ hours with them hasn't resolved the issue except that they say it's a problem THEIR end - might be sorted in 24 hours.
In the good old days (W3.1 up) I recall that mail inbox and sent items were stored deep in the registry.
Does anyone know if that's still true in W10 (and if so, how can one retrieve the msgs in usable format?)

Fairly urgent - in the midst of scheduling a multiple bowls matches and need the dates records of participants. Appreciate any help please!

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
Re: Virgin E-mail data - where is it please
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 09:05:38 »
Can you not just log directly into your email portal  from the virgin media website, all your data is stored on their servers until you delete it ?

Oh and  welcome:1 to the forum   ;D

Offline masterbowl

• Noobie
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2018, 10:52:01 »
Quote ….BUT not Virgin.  $ hours with them hasn't resolved the issue except that they say it's a problem THEIR end - might be sorted in 24 hours... unquote. Position as at 6pm last night.

Their statement - neither I nor Virgin can currently access my mail (no access to the server) may be resolved later tonight but I need specific data now ...

Thanks for responding. apols for not being clear.  As I said, have memory of both "in" and "sent" folders buried deep in the pc in the old days. Need to know where the folders are today (if they still exist).

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2018, 18:52:53 »
When you reset your pc did you select the save files/settings option, if you did then your emails should be stored  within your email client if you are using outlook it should be the AppData folder, Messages are stored as EML files. To read them outside the Windows Mail App you need a mail client capable of handling EML files (Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail) , if you selected delete all then all data is lost, however when you can access vigin's email portal you should be able to re download it all again.
Just to add,
If you go to “C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\”, open the folder that starts with "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps", open the folders “\LocalState\Indexed\LiveComm” inside that, then select the folder with the email you want to look at, then one folder down you'll see two folders, "Mail" and "People". Select the one you want, and then a few more folders down you'll (.eml) files for each of it has stored emails/contacts.”

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2018, 18:03:23 »
I know it doesn't help, but its a point none-the-less, it sounds like that Virgin has been set to delete outgoing/incoming emails from their servers once they've been relayed to your client....  recall this option years ago when messing with Outlook/Client - so once sent out too say outlook its then deleted from Virgins servers...

no help I know.. just making a point...Den1 should help you better in this regard :)
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)