Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC is ALIVE!!!!  (Read 228 times)

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
PC is ALIVE!!!!
« on: 27 June 2018, 11:09:26 »
well my PC finally gave out 5 days ago

- motherboard I think as PSU tests fine on multi meter, i woke on living room floor (where I sleep) and the HDD light was going crackers and should of been shutdown, I held in the power button as i was too tired to get up and investigate and it would not shutdown/kill ... so i turned it off at the PSU power switch at the back , next morning the power button was doing nothing, so its blown the mobo and whatever else

a friend has given me a couple of really old PC's but only the weakest one works 1GB RAM / XP 2Ghz Celeron 1 core - cant even play youtube videos even at 360p

the other is a slimline HP dual core P4 with 4GB but wont pick up my old PS style keyboard, i reckon if i had a USB one I would be able to reload the OS

I also have an dual-core 8GB RAM MAC from 1999 but something wrong with it and Safari wont load most pages so i cant get a browser to install like Opera or Chrome so I can install my much needed add-ons for my passwords and all my website links

cant swap the components around... 1GB RAM is DDR1 - 4GB is DDR2 & I think the CPU's are possibly different sockets but will check later

- god knows whats in the MAC and it looks like a pain to get into it - it weighs about 6 times the weight of my TV!!

sick as a chip lol - phone ...now my PC

FIXED SEE LAST POST
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: PC is dead
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2018, 13:55:40 »
on the MAC now Power Mac G5 and it seems its so old (safari) it wont open most HTTPS pages (secure) as it doesnt support them - youtube vids dont play, facebook opens mobile version only...

,,,seems iam stuck with the 1GB Celeron which is so slow I can type faster than it can print.. hopefully the Dual-Core Pentium 4 will go in and maybe YouTube vids will play - Opera seems to be best browser , others take ages... see if i can get the P4 in and I may be able to buy  2 x 1GB sticks of ebay and slap in my SSD and see if Windows 10 will load, if not I will hav to pop the HDD back in, run XP and create and XP installer from USB / DVD and see f I can install XP on my SSD
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: PC is ALIVE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2018, 19:07:08 »
..I Recall a USB Power Surge Warning the night before it went off - checked the front USB port and the white plastic inner housing came out and 2 of the 4 pins were bent down shorting on the outer rim, so I bent them back with a PIN and fired it up and works.....yippeee, phone working too to  some degree, battery dies very fast on standby (9 hours?) but at least it and my PC are working....
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline thar

« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2018, 21:58:17 »
1bit, your post remind me of this one of mine http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4751.0

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2018, 22:10:13 »
1bit, your post remind me of this one of mine http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4751.0

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

:) :) :)  i may have killed the machine (pressed in button for 6 seconds....) but it was 3am and I am sleeping on the living room floor with tinnitus blasting in my ears lol ...but it was not the cause... it was the 2 of the 4 USB ports pins shorting to the housing.. upon restart it DID check for disk errors which means it did apply the "dirty bit" upon killing the machine  - this tells the PC it wasn't shut down properly and the disk SHOULD be checked for errors

as its an SSD, killing the system is less dangerous than a magnetic spinning disk HDD - as far as im aware
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2018, 17:08:27 »
Hi 1bit.
Trust me..From one drama queen to another ;) :) It will all work out in the end.
Hope your feeling better today mate :)

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2018, 16:14:18 »
its on its way out -  GPU stopped working then re-sat it and works again - got BSOD with repair or reinstall option ive never seen this BSOD before and repair failed so had to choose reinstall

so think its coming to its 5 year life time
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2018, 19:05:12 »
Hi bit.
5 year life span?
Maybe a chipset issue, have you O/C the CPU in the past?
I'm not saying you shouldn't O/C a CPU or GPU but not all mobo's handle it so well.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2018, 19:21:26 »
actually, in the beginning, the first 8-9 months I did OC both the CPU & GPU & RAM by about 5-10 % depending on the device (and it was stable), but ever since then it has been at the default 3.2Ghz / 1.11Ghz / 1333Mhz as the real-world performance was nill

the mobo is a Gigabyte which I prefer over Asus, as they seem to take care in how the boards are produced as well as the specs..  such as using thicker copper and much much more...

I think its just a software blip ....and if anything is the cause its the PSU (XFX 450 Pro Core) as these had rave reviews to begin with - then upon thorough ripple testing two group found one was fine and other not so good

if I win the lottery I think I will build an Asus / AMD system (still with Nvidia cards as they are the best)

to my surprise when I had the GPU out (GTX 650 @ 128-Bit)  the Dmitrirenderer program ran perfectly... obviously the hardware dec0ding/encoding built in the onboard Intel GPU working well with the CPU
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2018, 19:30:41 »
Yes I agree, the GB mobos are better than the Asus offerings around the same price point.
as for the PSU....I can't remember the brand I had trouble with...but it was 600 watt but I can't remember if it was an XFX...I have sneaking suspition it may have been?
actually, in the beginning, the first 8-9 months I did OC both the CPU & GPU & RAM by about 5-10 % depending on the device (and it was stable), but ever since then it has been at the default 3.2Ghz / 1.11Ghz / 1333Mhz as the real-world performance was nill

the mobo is a Gigabyte which I prefer over Asus, as they seem to take care in how the boards are produced as well as the specs..  such as using thicker copper and much much more...

I think its just a software blip ....and if anything is the cause its the PSU (XFX 450 Pro Core) as these had rave reviews to begin with - then upon thorough ripple testing two group found one was fine and other not so good

if I win the lottery I think I will build an Asus / AMD system (still with Nvidia cards as they are the best)

to my surprise when I had the GPU out (GTX 650 @ 128-Bit)  the Dmitrirenderer program ran perfectly... obviously the hardware dec0ding/encoding built in the onboard Intel GPU working well with the CPU

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2018, 19:36:41 »
yes it was ALL their models in that range (XFX Pro Core Edition)

they lied saying they had JAP CAPS SOLID SATE when they didn't
also something about the EASYRAIL tech that was a fail as well

as far as I'm aware their newer stuff is better but I won't buy anything other than SEASONIC, ANTEC or CORSAIR now - funnily enough that XFX design was built by seasonic but to XFX design
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2018, 21:12:41 »
+1 for Gigabyte boards they have really improved over recent years in terms of quality of pcbs and components used.

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2018, 01:49:07 »
yes it was ALL their models in that range (XFX Pro Core Edition)

they lied saying they had JAP CAPS SOLID SATE when they didn't
also something about the EASYRAIL tech that was a fail as well

as far as I'm aware their newer stuff is better but I won't buy anything other than SEASONIC, ANTEC or CORSAIR now - funnily enough that XFX design was built by seasonic but to XFX design

Yes it was an XFX but now have an EVGA 500watt and had that for 3years+ no trouble at all.

I remeber the the Cap rip off...I heard that someone had smuggled the Japan formular for SS caps out-But the formular was incomplete and by the time it all came out, it was to late! Bad caps had gone into production world wide and were/still are in everything from tv's, pc's to cars. So I heard?