Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Plusnet and WHY cant I keep my number?  (Read 84 times)

Offline BEX

• Noobie
Plusnet and WHY cant I keep my number?
« on: 28 April 2018, 16:08:44 »
Hi, I just went to join Plusnet and queried keeping my existing Virgin number. I got this answer in the support chat? It has confused me as I asked her to explain more detail and she wouldn't.

'You will not be able to keep your existing number when switching to Plusnet. According to our systems line check, It may be a number that is owned by your current phone provider so cannot be switched to us, or it may be a number that isn't supported on the BT network, which is what we use for our services.

That is not the norm, some numbers we can transfer and some not, it has engineering issues involved so our systems are able to detect which numbers we can keep.'

She wont explain why it is not the norm :(

Can you help?

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
Re: Plusnet and WHY cant I keep my number?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2018, 23:21:04 »
Hi Bex , and wellcome,  from my understanding,  the answer you was given by plusnet is correct,
your existing phone number isn't yours , just given from a block of allocated numbers by your phone company and is not transferable to another company , I have had the same resopnce even from the same providor on three different house  moves( BT ), indeed had to lose my 4 diget number (1700), apparently BT reserve short/interesting  numbers and sell them off for a vast profit ,
maybe another member could explain more ,

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: Plusnet and WHY cant I keep my number?
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2018, 13:05:09 »
ive transferred numbers (mobile) from o2 to Three before with a PUK code (I think)

but im guessing this is LANDLINE numbers, i will look into it for you (currently just moved home and waiting 1 week for my internet to be activated so help from me is limited ATM)

dont know if this is any help?

https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk/blog/item/keep-phone-number-landline-porting
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)