Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bloody Vodafone  (Read 312 times)

Offline KRW

• Super-Hero Member
Bloody Vodafone
« on: 09 March 2018, 14:42:07 »
Been with Vodafone since Oct last year and had no problems until about 4 weeks ago.
When I reported one day speed drop from 70 to 0.5mb between lunchtime the late evening. This cleared the following day and for about a week when it re occured for days following a couple of days in master socket using one the two supplied filters it return to normal. Then this week on  Tuesday night it dropped was passed to tech2 who reported the is that I've too many devices connected. I have three wired (2xpc,1xtv) and 3 to 11 WiFi ( upto 5 mobiles, 2 laptops and printer
 Plus visitor mobiles).

The max number of devices they recommend is 8,       have any of you come across this limit.

This has never been mentioned before, they requested screen dump of speed tests as evidence of speeds.

How many devices do you connected to your network and what are they, are you suffering spates of low speeds. Oh what is your Connection speed and ISP.

My connection speed is usually 70-76mb, often closer to 70mb

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Vodafone router
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: Bloody Vodafone
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 19:49:43 »
whats the make and model of the router...?

routers can handle way more than that - they might slow down via throughput depending on your routers workload and your neighbours routers on same channel/frequency as you - distance/objects for wifi

routers & your neighbours routers on the same frequency/channel talk to each other at almost the speed of light to swap turns (alternate) in broadcasting to 1 device/home at a time otherwise it would just be noise on that channel for all homes/devices using it - e.g 2.4Ghz - channel 6 - if you have 5Ghz try using that on 5Ghz capable devices (newish phones/tablets etc) + 2.4Ghz on 2.4Ghz devices and wired where possible - this will help spread the broadcasting load at least as their is a radio for each frequency

- so if in theory all your devices were using the net heavily at the same time then its possible throughput would drop, but not sync speed - and unlikely to 0.5Mbps from 70Mbps though (especially on wired devices) only if one or more devices were heavily downloading

the simple test here is to disconnect ALL wired and wifi devices, connect 1 wired and run speedtests at peak times

consider purchasing a faster router (faster CPU) and external antennas ASUS and LINKSYS are the ones too look at - look at how many 'concurrent' sessions they can handle - and I always using inSSIDer to make sure im not over-lapping channels , the worst thing you can do is overlap  - dont overlap many as that overlapped space becomes noise and lost speed

e.g.
 5Ghz

2.4Ghz

as you can see on the 2.4Ghz image that Talk-Talk connection is on channel 3 instead of 1 and because of that the other 2 connections are losing speed, because they arent on their own channel (or on same channel as another connection), they dont alternate and whatever is in the overlapped section is total lost speed for them all - rule of thumb = if no spare room, sit on TOP of another connection for alternating and DO NOT sit between multiple connections

with us getting faster and faster internet, we have to start thinking about upgrading our wifi/LAN along with it - hence me going to 5Ghz (N) on my PC - but I would like to upgrade to AC or AX (the newest one to start making an appearance) ..
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2018, 19:57:13 »
sorry had to make a few edits
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline KRW

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2018, 20:35:51 »
1bit, thanks for the information but the speed check have been made using a wired connection not WiFi.

Offline KRW

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2018, 20:43:15 »
Sent this to Support

Hello,

Please find attached speedtest.net results as requested in support of my broadband fault dispute.

After logging my problems on three different occasions Iím still not satisfied with Vodafone responses to resolving my issue.

The Vodafone answer that I have too many devices attached does not compute I normal have 70 to 76Mb download speed. Assuming that streaming a movie (Netflix) uses 4.5 to 9 MB (720 to 4k) with 1080 at 6mb then I should be able to watch between 11-12 movies with 70Mb D/L.

Or 11-12 devices watches one movie at the same time, but Iíve experiencing low d/l from early afternoon to late evening and this equates to more than 33 2 hour movies being watched.

This has not been the case and I strongly believe Vodafone throttling my line!.

Back to the number of devices Iíve now told the max Vodafone allow is 8 devices and this is being exceeded, that maybe case but the load is not consistently used as shown by my movie analogy.

This  limited number of devices has never been mentioned at the time of my application or since , knowing this my application I would not have applied

I wish to have my issue resolved within 48 hours with the proviso that should happen again I can cancel my contract without any costs.

Regards

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2018, 10:30:08 »
 if thats the speed (0.5Mb) then VF have oversubscribed on your post code / on their allotted Wholesale Bandwidth -
 or possibly your cab has a faulty Dslam

I only mention wifi solutions/issues because you mentioned you use several wifi devices
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline KRW

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2018, 10:49:26 »
What might have an affect is that joint Vodafone/O2 and on thier own is Three have been/are installing fibre to their mobile masts from the phone exchanges. This relieve the load on mobile data network. And last year or the year before can't remember which but they installed fibre to the masts in our area.  So unless their is a large data feed to the exchange then oversubscribing is a posibility.