Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you do your food shopping online?  (Read 372 times)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
Do you do your food shopping online?
« on: 09 March 2018, 10:54:22 »
I didn't used to like the idea of letting someone else select my food for me, I thought they would just put any old junk in my shopping.
Turns out that's not exacly true, Ocado deliver fresh food to your door and if there's a problem with anything they are only to happy to sort it out very quickly. I don't really like food shopping unless it's a produce market. Like the Victorian Market in melbourne, pic below.

I have tried most the other supermarkets here and the fresh food is not always as good as you might think? That's because before the supermarket, it comes from a warhouse then spends time in a truck then the supermarket get it. Then they stack it on the shelves and then you purchase it and put it in the car and take it home. To many hands there, with food items time and temp are very important to maintain good quality (CCP/CT).

So I shop where ever the food is fresher, if I can. Still go to my local butcher and supermarket but shop online as well, saves fule and time as well.

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: Do you do your food shopping online?
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 13:18:26 »
its something im considering due to the cost of living in this village.
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2018, 16:24:17 »
its something im considering due to the cost of living in this village.
I think this is an issue on a lot of people's minds atm...The Cost of living in small villages.
I have thought about moving, but I have moved so many times over the years.....when I was young I went to many different schools..You get the point. So for me it's time to settle down for a bit and stick it out for the moment. JMO

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2018, 19:08:31 »
Don't do so much of it now that i have started to drive but i used Sainsburys/Tesco and iceland with no real problems, our fresh meat we buy from our local butcher top notch meat.
Sainsburys was the most generous when things didn't go quite right, on two separate occasions we had our entire weeks shopping for free 200 each time  :D   

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2018, 22:41:53 »
Having lived  in a Hampshire remote village on the north downs , one bad winter  the R.A.F  did a free helicopter essential food .meds & live stock feed delivery,  ever since then I keep a well stocked freezer in the winter , power cuts ? , cook the perishable food, bag it and bury it under the snow , but bet the foxes/badgers  find it first  :o , ...... :D
I now have the luxury  of a Co-Op 1/2 mile away the size of a house lounge, a Tesco & Waitrose within 4 miles , and a big Aldi  within 7 miles , but best of all locally https://www.bigbarn.co.uk/producer/lyne-chertsey/the-farm-shop-13388/  :-*

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2018, 13:52:43 »
Having lived  in a Hampshire remote village on the north downs , one bad winter  the R.A.F  did a free helicopter essential food .meds & live stock feed delivery,  ever since then I keep a well stocked freezer in the winter , power cuts ? , cook the perishable food, bag it and bury it under the snow , but bet the foxes/badgers  find it first  :o , ...... :D
I now have the luxury  of a Co-Op 1/2 mile away the size of a house lounge, a Tesco & Waitrose within 4 miles , and a big Aldi  within 7 miles , but best of all locally https://www.bigbarn.co.uk/producer/lyne-chertsey/the-farm-shop-13388/  :-*

When I clicked on your link Roco and put in my details 2 Brewers came up, one is within walking distance of my place. Turns out they are one of the best ale produces in the country (good session beer) but no food outlets close :(...I guess you can count beer as food because of the yeast... :angel: :) ;) :D

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2018, 23:04:06 »
 @ Fudgie , I am confused ( nothing new there ) my link should have  taken you straight to the family run Lyne Chertsey farm shop , no need to give any personal details or even my location etc , something I never do ,
can anyone confirm my link goes straight to the lyne farm shop ? 
btw  it's pronounced locally  as  Line not lyn , the mistake I made  when I moved here  :-[,

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2018, 08:18:38 »
Sorry mate. :)
Maybe I should explain myself a little clearer....my partner says I can be a little cryptic at times. Yes your link did take me to the farmshop...but when I put my details in turns out there is not much close to me except brewers. I don't reveal mine or others personal details on a forum either. It's my fault mate...Maybe that's why your confused. :angel: :) ;)