Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Openreach: We will move to 'ultra-fast' speeds  (Read 506 times)

Offline Jay9

• Full-Time Member
Openreach: We will move to 'ultra-fast' speeds
« on: 01 February 2018, 14:01:08 »
Part 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-42903427/the-ceo-of-openreach-aims-to-connect-10m-customers-to-ultra-fast-by-2025

Part 2

BT Group will spend at least £3bn rolling out faster UK broadband by mid 2020 as it responds to political and public pressure to speed up Britain’s internet connectivity.

The company is extending its “fibre to the premises” programme that will reduce its reliance on street-level cabinets that convert a broadband signal that comes over fibre into one that is sent to customers’ premises over the existing copper wire network.

According to BT, this will mean faster and more reliable internet for customers.

The group’s Openreach broadband division said that 10m homes would have “fibre to the premises” by mid 2020, at a cost of £300 to £400 per premises. There is also a connection cost of £150 to £175.

The group will hire 3,000 new field engineers to carry out the project.

BT has come under increasing pressure from politicians, business and consumer groups to invest more in full fibre. The UK, where only 3 per cent of UK premises can connect to a line, lags far behind countries such as Spain and Portugal. In France, for instance, Orange expects to have built a full fibre network reaching 20m homes by 2021.

http://www.cetusnews.com/business/BT-to-spend-%C2%A33bn-to-roll-out-faster-UK-broadband-service.rJb8mMDe8f.html

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
Re: Openreach: We will move to 'ultra-fast' speeds
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2018, 18:13:43 »
I guess I don't have the need for speed , My BT FTTC @74Mbps  is faster than I need ,
Don't like the CEO's.. quote
" The CEO of Openreach Clive Selley told the Today programme that when the 'ultra-fast' network becomes available, customers "must" convert, and may have to pay more for the service.  :(

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2018, 14:43:22 »
that is true i have 37 but quite happy as long as it doesnt dip below 30mps
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2018, 23:48:58 »
The group’s Openreach broadband division said that 10m homes would have “fibre to the premises” by mid 2020, at a cost of £300 to £400 per premises. There is also a connection cost of £150 to £175.

So BT want the consumer to folk out £300 to £400 per premises and then a a connection fee of £150 to £175. Keep in mind that's times ten million BT hope to recoupe and if they don't the tax payer will foot the bill again. What happens if a private company comes along after BT put in the fibre optic and reduces the connection fee? Private company's have installed so much firbe opic in other parts of the world and it doesn't cost that much to connect private residents, infact no where near that?

If that's there approach I would rather stick with copper at those prices. :angel: :) ;) :D

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2018, 16:56:44 »
i might be wrong but that £300-£400 cost is I think what they mean it will cost them to implement...hence the almost £200 connection charge...rest made up in monthly charges
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2018, 11:41:46 »
I think you might be right 1bit. ;) :)
I get frusterated with BT, they for one reason or another have delayed the roll out of Fiber Optic for years here in the UK.
Maybe they have good reasons...But the longer it takes the more it will cost everyone.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2018, 12:13:52 »
Blame the Thatcher government she stopped BT or who ever it was back then from rolling out fibre, instead Telewest, "bought out by virgin media"  laid their fibre with the governments blessings, could have had the fastest broadband in the world by now if BT had been allowed to build it.

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2018, 22:49:26 »
Blame the Thatcher government she stopped BT or who ever it was back then from rolling out fibre, instead Telewest, "bought out by virgin media"  laid their fibre with the governments blessings, could have had the fastest broadband in the world by now if BT had been allowed to build it.

I could agree with you.
But I'm one of those who believe politics has no place in business as religion has no place in politics. ;)

Edit; thats better