Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SKY DLM finished.??. only 12Mb... 5Mb loss from o2  (Read 18862 times)

snadge

SKY DLM finished.??. only 12Mb... 5Mb loss from o2
« on: 25 February 2012, 14:18:38 »
Advertisement
well it appears that DLM has finished on my SKY Broadband because the SNR is 8.1db which I think idicates that its finished.

edit: ive been told its still active...just have to wait and see.. personally i cant see much of a change from 8db to 7db (SKY's default)..maybe 1,000k extra if lucky

my sync rate is 12,200k / 1090k
Line Attenuation has gone down from 26.5db to 25.5db
SNR Margin is 8.1db
Pingtest rates my line as GRADE B 40-50ms with 20-30ms jitters

before with o2 I could get about 17,000k on 6.5db SNR and Line Attenuation was higher, 29ms pings on both CMD and pingtest with 0-2ms jitter

a LOT of people have noticed that SKY's hardware (maybe SVBN) seems to have lower sync rates than all other ISPs on ADSL2+ , another persons 11,000-14,000k capable line is at a mere 9200k sync with SKY with 6.1db SNR, before he never sync below 11,000k with o2 on his 36db line and there are hundreds more on SKY's forums with same "low sync rate since switching" issue (DLM aside)

I dont mind sacrificing 1-2Mbps .. but 5Mbps im not too happy about.

I may try my netgear later and force 100% SNR and see what it does on 8.1db...

Offline thar

Re: SKY DLM finished.??. only 12Mb... 5Mb loss from o2
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2012, 17:57:28 »
The forced low syncs people seemed to get with Sky was one of the reasons I backed out at the 11th hour. Mine line is similar to yours snadge and I'm currently syncing at 18 Meg, I wouldn't be happy dropping to 12 either.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2012, 18:46:17 »
like i said mate get it uncapped and u will be fine.it only took one phone call and it was sorted

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2012, 20:37:38 »
what did you ask for when you called tom? ive heard it may take a few phone calls as some of the reps dont know what to do and try to convince you your line is at max already...

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2012, 20:41:06 »
i just said to them  i wanted it uncapped i know that it can be quicker can you uncap it for me that was literally it, they said yes no problem did it as i was on phone i went downstairs rebooted router 19995 here we go

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2012, 20:47:38 »
here i just spoke to someone on sky broadband chat and they said this is the number for broadband technical team 08442 411 076.

Offline Milo

« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2012, 10:52:11 »
I could get 17Mbps+ with Be* on F/P, 19+ tweaking DMT down to 1.0  :P

However, I did suffer disconnections with Be* which hardly happens with Sky.

I may try that no. Thomas, thanks for that.  I heard some manage to get F/P enabled with Sky, but it depends on who you speak with.

Here are my current stats:

ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   13731 kbps   1109 kbps
Line Attenuation   27.0db   14.7db
Noise Margin   7.1db   8.3db

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2012, 11:33:19 »
aye MILO mine was 27db with o2/BE too and I got 16-17Mbps on a 19,200k sync with 2db SNR -- error free and never dropped (I could get that up to 19,500k on 1.8db) - 29ms day and night on CMD and PINGTEST (0-2ms jitter)

thanks for the number thomas, I will use it later

a bit better today: Iam happy enough with this, although o2 on same would be about 16,800k

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    15355 kbps    1098 kbps
Line Attenuation    25.5 dB    14.5 dB
Noise Margin    6.8 dB    8.4 dB

Pings still 37ms in CMD and 39-43ms in Pingtest with 2-4ms jitter in HALF of the tests (GRADE A) and 40-55ms with 10-20ms jitter in other half of tests (GRADE B)
however, if i use ping -n 20 I get a good run of 37-40ms which shows almost no jitter un-like pingtest so wondering if SKY's backhaul to the testing server is partially congested or something or passing their problematic servers in west midlands

what is the cut-off for fastpath? is it right you can only use F/P on short lines due to less chance of errors...? if so then what is the cut-off point for Line Attenuation for ISPs that enable fast path? (just wondering if my line is short enough)

MILO - SKY have "gaming profile" which lowers the interleaving depth but its a bit 'grey' on what depth settings are..the only info I can get out of users on SkyUser and SkyForums is default interleaving delay is 32ms and gaming is 8ms - but this conflicts cos (for example) tom gets 29ms pings..as far as I know he is not on gaming profile and that would mean his default ping is -2ms hehe 29 - 32 = -2ms  and mine is 37ms so means default ping is 5ms...  someone told me ping on fast path with noi interleaving is usually around 12ms... so you add 32 or 8 to this to get the ping on each mode which is 44 default ping and 20 on gaming mode... so how does tom get 29ms etc... surely interleaving depth changes dynamically too and is not always permanently 'set'

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2012, 12:18:21 »
im not on gaming profile. its getting there mate how many more days is it before the 10 days is up and you can try netgear

snadge

« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2012, 12:42:54 »
im not on gaming profile. its getting there mate how many more days is it before the 10 days is up and you can try netgear

exactly my friend... so the info of the delay times is probably correct but regardless the MSAN/Dslam/SVBN whatever SKY's equipment is (MSAN I think) can dynamically set interleaving depth regardless of what SKY set, maybe its dynamic, default is a depth that causes about 32ms delay but this can go up or down depending on your line..but SKY can FIX it on "gaming profile" which is about 8ms which would yield about 20ms pings (12+8) going from what ive been told. whatever your interleaving depth tom, if what ive been told about the 12ms thing is correct then your interleaving depth is causing a 18ms delay (12+18=30ms)

im gunna email SKY and Openreach.

DLM didnt start officially util 23rd i think

also since switching to SKY iam getting pinged from hackers... 2-3 times per hour looking for access, whether or not this normal I dunno , I dont recal anything in netgear logs about this on o2

some users on SkyUser are really starting to annoy me now because they just dont want to accept that SKY's migration procedure has changed slightly and they obviously dont like me (a new user to SKY and their forums) telling them this - Isitime on there said "its policy to move broadband first" clearly its not and I mentioned it to him cos my letters from SKY say so (move broadband last if did not enter mac on day of order) and me and loads of others got broadband moved after phone - his continous repeated counter argument is about something else in an attempt to spin the argument into his favour to make me look like im "incorrect" to the OP...  he keeps going saying "this last time im gunna say this - but sky didnt used to require a mac code"...so what? i agree and thats not what Iam saying.. Iam disagreeing with him saying "its policy to move broadband first" and he says "you know this how?" and I told him of the letters (again for 3 rd time) and me and others had broadband moved last (for 3rd time) and again he repeats skys OLD procedures... the OP doesnt want to know what USED to happen anyway? he is asking about current Migration procedures... I also think they didnt like me beginning to prove that procedures have changed, as they said you wont receive your old ISP on SKY phone line once active...clearly I did and so did many others... they didnt like that. they said I wont be on SVBN then... proved that I was.. obviously didnt like that OLD HABITS DIE HARD - just means they are giving users wrong info on SkyUser if they dont learn from others regardless if they are new to the forum/service or not.

i will bloody scan the letters for him and ask all the other people who have had broadband switched first to back me up~!! - but then he will just say "i will say this one last time..sky didnt use to require a mac code" ........and?

Offline Milo

« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2012, 13:11:05 »
Hmmm. I get 29m/s on Pingtest with Grade B as the Packet Loss test won't work.

I can't recall if I asked for this Gaming Mode - I might message them.

How can I see Interleaved details if I can't use DMT Tool on the Router?

snadge

« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2012, 13:24:10 »
s'funny milo  -  someone I was helping on Sky Forums had same problem with packet test not running - im almost certain SKY's backhaul is affected somewhere cos loads of people in mid-west and north wales are getting serious peak time congestion latency 300-3000 and lowered throughput, mine works & running 0% packet loss but like I say GRADE A/B ... I would be satisfied with 39ms/GRADE A if it stayed that way would have liked 29ms, i may get that when I get my line un-capped.

RE ID: I think the only way if using sagemcom router is too flash it with a modded firmware on SkyUser which is changed to allow Sky Router Tool access to it - cant change SNR but it can get figures the router does not normally give..I will check the screenshots or ask if it can get interleaving depth...

Offline Milo

« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2012, 13:26:41 »
s'funny milo  -  someone I was helping on Sky Forums had same problem with packet test not running - im almost certain SKY's backhaul is affected somewhere cos loads of people in mid-west and north wales are getting serious peak time congestion latency 300-3000 and lowered throughput, mine works & running 0% packet loss but like I say GRADE A/B ... I would be satisfied with 39ms/GRADE A if it stayed that way would have liked 29ms, i may get that when I get my line un-capped.

RE ID: I think the only way if using sagemcom router is too flash it with a modded firmware on SkyUser which is changed to allow Sky Router Tool access to it - cant change SNR but it can get figures the router does not normally give..I will check the screenshots or ask if it can get interleaving depth...
Cheers mate... ;D

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2012, 13:31:53 »
ive asked...screenshots dont seem to say so but ive asked on the thread..so will see, once I know my netgear works on this line I will probably flash the sagemcom too just so i can find out the same stats if and when I use it or compare...

i know DMT tool on my netgear showed interleaving depth

TOM should be able to tell use what the ID is on his line on DMT tool as he uses a Netgear GT

see it on image below tom above the exchange side

Offline Milo

« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2012, 13:37:27 »
Cheers for that.

I've emailed Sky asking to switch my line to F/P - I live in hope  ;D

I've also asked for them to uncap my line, and quoted my stats from Be* days...

snadge

« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2012, 13:43:08 »
good luck!!!

wot email address do you use?

I would imagine they wont because to change account settings one would have to verify your the account holder like you do when you ring up  - as far as in aware the only way to get it done is phone call and even then it may take a few calls cos not all reps know what your on about or how to do what you ask.... pain in ass I know...not lukin forward to doin it myself..I just hope its as easy as toms was haha

i dunno whether or not too ask for gaming mode myself for sake of slightly decreased pings incase to do so means you have to have your sync on a capped profile to ensure a bit more stability (lower sync speed) - think I will just leave it unless I find out for sure you can have gaming profile on an un-capped sync rate

p.s. one person got put on it and pings nevr changed

Offline Milo

« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2012, 14:03:55 »
wot email address do you use?
I used the 'Contact Us' in MySky...

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2012, 16:29:17 »
can you use dmt tool if using dg team on my netgear

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2012, 16:49:19 »
ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   19995 kbps   1157 kbps
Line Attenuation   21.0 db   7.7 db
Noise Margin   4.5 db   9.1 db

i cant go any lower then 4.5db

ping just now with cmd was 29 and with pingtest 31 and 2 jitter

Offline Milo

« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2012, 16:59:13 »
Just received this email:

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

I tried to call you on your home and mobile number today to talk further about this request but unfortunately I was unable to get a hold of you.

Unfortunately before advisors can change any settings regarding the broadband we need to talk to the account holder over the phone.

Can you please either reply to this email with an appropriate time and date for an advisor to call you or alternatively you can call our Sky Technical Help Line on 08442 411 411 .

As you have Sky Talk Line Rental calls to Sky are free.