Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dirty Screen Effect on LCD, LED and Plasmas  (Read 23996 times)

snadge

Re: Dirty Screen Effect on LCD, LED and Plasmas
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2013, 20:46:32 »
Advertisement
@ CS - yes I can see yours cappy- that looks like something else and is quite harsh...

@ RITD - its defo not pixel retention mate, the patches on the screen are 'always' slightly darker (by the tiniest amounts) than other pixels - the pixels change colour etc exactly the same speed as other pixels, nothing wrong with the pixels or sub-pixels directly but more the cells themselves - like i say the weight of the screen bending and warping the pixels (ever so slightly) so they are no longer in same line of sight as the other surrounding pixels, they work just fine, colours are fine, response is fine.

AlecRobertson

« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2013, 09:39:40 »
That is the issue with LED TVs; it is impossible to get a completely flawless panel.

I suspect all these issues come from the manufacturing process in which thousands of TVs are turned out per hour and getting them manufactured exactly the same is impossible.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2013, 14:40:05 »
If the effect I now think snadge is talking about. It's called clouding. On AVForums they talk about this. There's a flashy red/green/blue clip on Youtube to solve this.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1617252-samsung-ue-es8000-all-ue-es-ranges-calibration-thread-29.html#post18698203
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2013, 16:38:39 »
I found some interesting information about my screen. LE37S73BD http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1205936-samsung-lcd-tv-dark-patches.html

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2013, 19:24:55 »
O_o What on earth.

LCD Screen Shadow Fix

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2013, 20:56:53 »
I suppose this could work but i would not want to try it myself    :P
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2013, 23:13:27 »
lots of names for it.  ive been involved in discussions about it 5 years ago on AVforums and clouding was mentioned.

I think it affects ALL flat screen TV's that use large thin displays...because of the way it happens (well my opinion anyway).

here is a photo of "clouding" and the effect I have is basically the same but not as bad as that (not as much of it nor as intense), this can be noticeable when screen is all one colour (depending on how severe it is), on my first LCD (BUSH) it was right in middle in a sort of 'ripple' effect like the LCD panel is softening and 'warping' with the heat.... if you remove the worst bits from the left and right hand side of the screen below then thats what mine is probably like - you could notice there but when theres lots of colours and motion on going its less noticeable and actually blends in - until you get a screen full of one colour and the camera pans around and you can see the shades changing slightly which reveal those 'patches' - like i said earlier, the most revealing on my screen was DIY shows she used to watch and when the newly decorated house was painted with magnolia and the camera would pan across the new room you could see it then.

its defo a design and/or manufacturing flaw - I spoke to an old "semi-retired" TV Engineer about it whos been in the trade for 50 years and he said that they push out a lot of TV's like this as most people dont notice it (which is true) - he said 20% of the TV's produced fail QC and are sent back to start of production line, he also said that when LCD's fail its rare that a TV engineer will come out and fix it because 9 times out of 10 its failure of a very expensive component that costs as much as a new TV and takes weeks to order and arrive, he said it can take them as much as 2 hours to find that out and then have to charge the customer just for telling them (which can be 60-100 depending on who's doing it) that the new part is gunna cost as much as a new TV and take weeks to arrive, with his fee's added it will be MORE than a TV... so he says when he gets calls for LCD/LED/Plasma failures that most of the time (depending on symptoms) he tells them its cheaper getting a new one!

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 02 June 2013, 14:58:40 »
lots of names for it.  ive been involved in discussions about it 5 years ago on AVforums and clouding was mentioned.

Clouding is the main name I've been reading (because of the effective cloudy marks) but I remember the one used before it, it used to be used a lot on OcUK. Backlight bleeding.

snadge

« Reply #28 on: 02 June 2013, 22:42:23 »

Clouding is the main name I've been reading (because of the effective cloudy marks) but I remember the one used before it, it used to be used a lot on OcUK. Backlight bleeding.

Clouding, Backlight Bleeding, 'Dirty Screen Effect' are all explaining the same symptoms - Clouding is probably the best of them all, Iam just trying to work out what it is (rather than the symptoms, which we know) and hence my explanation of "Cell Warping" - it may not be that but thats what I think it is, maybe 'Panel Warping' would work better than that...

anyway, ive not been in all the shops etc for years to have a look and see what current batch of TV's are like...I was bang into this subject 5 years ago...now weve had the TV so long I never really notice it or let it bother me, I can only hope that they have improved on this somewhat, my sistera 1500 47" Samsung Smart 3D TV has it a 'tiny' amount, an amount I would be happy to have - rather than keep sending them back and requesting another until you get one that doesnt have it, infact iam certain my first LG was a return for the same reason and they re-sold me the return, I took it back just days later and got a 32LH3000 instead, got home and it had it also but not as bad and she was staring daggers at me as if too say "were not taking this one back aswell" lol...

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: 02 June 2013, 23:07:15 »
Some say on AVForums to loosen the screws on the back of the screens just a little to take pressure off the screen. Then run that flashy video for a while. Others say it's a lottery to get a flawless one.

snadge

« Reply #30 on: 19 June 2016, 08:54:39 »
here you go, basically shows what ive been saying is right..he calls it "wrinkling" but its the same thing