Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: just totaly borked my fttc conection  (Read 712 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
just totaly borked my fttc conection
« on: 21 December 2016, 22:34:40 »
Advertisement
not a hapy bunny , I had for years a totally rock solid BT fttc connection.
the worst test variance was 2 % ,just renovated 2 spare bed rooms and added 2  more wired  extension sockets unfiltered for guests for phone and internet,
to cut short  a long tale of woe   , my helper  tested the sockets 17070  while  I went for our fish and chips lunch , came back to see  my H H 5 was  trying to reconnect finally got back on line  with a test speed  down by 50% ,  over night  it recovered by +10 Mbps  ,   but 4 days later it's still down by  5Mbps ,   will it ever recover  ?

snadge

Re: just totaly F*ck my fttc conection
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2016, 00:04:51 »
1st remove the faceplate and put it in the test socket a few days and see if any better, this may give u an idea that somethings a miss with the wiring (possibly split pairs)

2 I would get a diagram of exactly whats been done - see our page on how to setup phone lines PROPERLY (not saying you did it lol)

http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?page=test_socket

it should be wired as so with cw1308 TP cable

of course thats a standard install but replace the regular plate with a filtered one and keep the router there, run the 2 n 5 cables from the filter inside the filtered faceplate -  whilst having functional phone lines in other room that wont affect ur BB

sound to me like the wires are crossing causing rein to eat into your signal if its not changed in 4 days - inotherwords...it aint been done right  ;)

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2016, 16:56:55 »
Just to add make sure the wires are punched down correctly and the cable used is genuine CW1308  cable, typically the stuff sold by DIY stores is not, doesn't matter with voice  but VDSL it does.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2016, 18:50:49 »
Just to add make sure the wires are punched down correctly and the cable used is genuine CW1308  cable, typically the stuff sold by DIY stores is not, doesn't matter with voice  but VDSL it does.

+1

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2016, 20:36:37 »
Thanks guys for the advice  unfortunately I have run out of time (Christmas ) but what I have done is disconnect the extensions , used a new ADSL filter , did a factory reset on the HH5 ,  now going to leave it alone over Christmas , ( will probably be away for a few days )
My calamity pic  the top graph is a today download test , the lower is results  over 5 days ,
  I am on BT infinty 52 x10 , normaly get  51.2 X 8 .3
Now seeing around 49.5 ,  but ping times have doubled , upload never changed ,BTW the cable I salvaged from a factory reception refurb ,  4 x2 twisted pairs

[attachment deleted by admin]

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2016, 17:42:09 »
it needs to be the right gauge of copper cable as well as being twisted , with preferably the same twist pitch as CW1308 (twists per inch)- also it might be thin copper or or even worse..aluminium

you left it in the test socket yes?

49.5 means its working fine, u never get the same results dot on, if i had a 52Mb connection I would be worried if it were ALWAYS 40-45Mbps, but 49.5 means its fine, if thats the result in the test socket then the linework was incorrect

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2016, 20:40:29 »
I stand to be corrected but i think whats been used is 4 pair alarm cable which is a thinner gauge and may not be solid copper   ;) 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2016, 02:24:00 »
I stand to be corrected but i think whats been used is 4 pair alarm cable which is a thinner gauge and may not be solid copper   ;)
think you could be right on that DEN,  either way it's now removed , and connections are now back to as was , my FTTC is just about to normal , maybe down by 1/2 Mbps , that maybe due to the  filter  or the latest firefox update ,  btw  got newish walkabouts from a friend as a gift ,  Logicom Retro 70s  with answer
 now got the original outgoing message into English  :))

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2017, 23:21:25 »
Just to close this sorry tale ( self inflicted )
removed the added ext. sockets and associated wiring , and just let things be after a new BT filter and hh5 reset  , things improved , but was still down by about 1-2 Mbs ,  early new years day my router did a self reboot !,  since then I got my rock solid speed back 24/7 , wish I knew more about FTTC  etc ,
on BT FTTC  52x10 infinity1 the cab. is about 400 mtrs away , 
so I guess these results are looking OK ? ,  :))

snadge

« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2017, 00:09:59 »
 at 400 meters your on the cusp of getting full speeds of 78Mps....after that it dips...even at that im about 180-200 meters and my max rate is 69Mb...but that could be high take up of fttc in my street causing a lot of X-Talk into each others lines.

if you want to know more about FTTC Roco:
read our guide on ADSL - its the same/similar for FTTC but it uses more and higher frequencies (ADSL uses upto 2.2Mhz - VDSL uses upto 30Mhz), also instead of coming from the Exchange as copper, it brings the Fibre up to your street Cab- but with higher frequency use comes more crosstalk (X-Talk) from other customer lines
http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?page=how_does_DSL_work
i Will Have to update

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2017, 23:29:22 »
Thanks Snadge  a  useful tutorial , I sort of understood   FTTC  ,but totally
failed to understand what happens at my  BT exchange  ,  ( 5 miles away )
heck I started with 56 k dial up   desk top  then got the incredible Adsl
at 2 Mb  , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0mg9DxvfZE
2 years back I moved out of London  and bought a rural near derelict house , with no phone connection , much to my surprise FTTC was available 400 Mtr's way ,  at 52 x10 ,  sure I can get a faster plan  via BT for extra cost ,  but I don't need more speed , would settle for 20x5  if it was cheaper , but the cheaper  ADSL versions are  saying 2.5 X .5  on my line . so for me I don't feel the need for extra cost/speed  , computers and the internet  are just a tool ,  for me reliability is  important , 

snadge

« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2017, 00:34:14 »
Thanks Snadge  a  useful tutorial , I sort of understood   FTTC  ,but totally
failed to understand what happens at my  BT exchange  ,  ( 5 miles away )
heck I started with 56 k dial up   desk top  then got the incredible Adsl
at 2 Mb  ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0mg9DxvfZE  2 years back I moved out of London  and bought a rural near derelict house , with no phone connection , much to my surprise FTTC was available 400 Mtr's way ,  at 52 x10 ,  sure I can get a faster plan  via BT for extra cost ,  but I don't need more speed , would settle for 20x5  if it was cheaper , but the cheaper  ADSL versions are  saying 2.5 X .5  on my line . so for me I don't feel the need for extra cost/speed  , computers and the internet  are just a tool ,  for me reliability is  important ,

ive looked up some articles you might like:

what is fibre??

Kitz has lots of info on exchanges and even pictures in her local tel exchange...good read with excellent info and pictures...you will like this one
Inside the telephone exchange

FTTC (lots of details and pictures on this one and use the links on the left to continue your read up
* source: kitz

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Re: just totaly borked my fttc conection
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2017, 18:40:57 »
thanks Snadge a great link  to the workings within my local exchange ,
as you will have guessed I never was   a  computer geek ,  built a few desk tops in the past to my own spec , never fancied a over priced Dell etc , my main interest is with mechanical things  ( car engines & tuning) squeezing out the last Brake horse power or  mile per gallon , the Volks diesel disaster  came as no suprise to me ,  never was a clean engine, but has it's  place in heavy transport , mainly as a fixed speed  electric generator  rail trains /ships  etc ,is the future for personal transport electric power  in some ways yes ,
at the moment  the recharge  is from a polluting power station . is solar/wind/tide power the answer , ? could be if the UK's population fell by 50% ,
Heck time to stop , I am getting on a rant ,  lol:1 and just my cynical view ,

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2017, 20:51:13 »
thanks Snadge a great link  to the workings within my local exchange ,
as you will have guessed I never was   a  computer geek ,  built a few desk tops in the past to my own spec , never fancied a over priced Dell etc , my main interest is with mechanical things  ( car engines & tuning) squeezing out the last Brake horse power or  mile per gallon , the Volks diesel disaster  came as no suprise to me ,  never was a clean engine, but has it's  place in heavy transport , mainly as a fixed speed  electric generator  rail trains /ships  etc ,is the future for personal transport electric power  in some ways yes ,
at the moment  the recharge  is from a polluting power station . is solar/wind/tide power the answer , ? could be if the UK's population fell by 50% ,
Heck time to stop , I am getting on a rant ,  lol:1 and just my cynical view ,
spend your time on a lot of car forums? lol

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2017, 20:21:36 »
 lol:1  Not into cars , they are just a tool . and certainly not into car forums , 
or the rabbit about tinted windows and best buy booming exhausts,
anyway back to front baseball caps donít suit me ,   >:D

snadge

« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2017, 20:33:32 »
lol:1  Not into cars , they are just a tool . and certainly not into car forums , 

get some go faster stripes on yer citreon  :P

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2017, 21:36:25 »

get some go faster stripes on yer citreon  :P
  lol:1 got to admit  Cars !  yes I still have contact with the alien 2cv cars , I used to build 24 race engines ,  a spare one still powers my 2CV , detuned for road use , 602 cc  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mySqKP_poxQ
but my true love is flying  like a bird , ( gliders )

snadge

« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2017, 22:25:43 »
me n my paternal father were going to do 24Hr rally on the Isle Of Mull in 1991 with stuff from the scrap yard - we had a huge straight-six engine for it from the scrapyard