Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Broadband/tv problem  (Read 253 times)

Offline Madasaflake

• Noobie
Broadband/tv problem
« on: 28 November 2016, 21:35:19 »
Advertisement
Hello. My first post and I hope I'm on the right forum! I need to get to the bottom of my problem which is one I can't get my head round!
We ditched Sky due to price hikes and hundreds of channels we never watched. We decided to go for BT TV the main reason being we needed Cartoon Network as our autistic son loves it and there is no other way to get it - it is an add on with BT. We bought a lovely super smart Samsung tv prior to this as well. Because the BT hub is on the first floor near our desktop PC we couldn't run an Ethernet cable to link the box directly so we use the adaptors we got from BT which plug in behind the TV and also upstairs near the hub. We have unlimited fibre broadband with BT and the Homehub is a five. Our problem is that intermittently when we are trying to watch YouTube, Netflix and Amazon instant video we get buffering issues so programmes become unwatchable and it occasionally tells us that we have insufficient bandwidth to watch it. As far as our household is concerned there is usually only my iPad running at the same time so I can't see that the BB can't cope with that! We tried a Roku streaming stick to see if that would bypass the software on the TV but that was useless.
I am assuming this is a broadband problem and not an issue with the box or the TV? It doesn't happen all the time, but is a real nuisance when it does. I did a speed test and the results were quite favourable and comparable with others round us, can't remember what they were. If anyone can shed any light on this, and apologies for the long post but I have tried to give as much info as possible, I'd be grateful.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Broadband/tv problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2016, 00:31:55 »
Indeed the right topic
Hi from Roco the  joker on the forum ,  “if you can’t out Tech, try to make them laugh”
My first thoughts ( while waiting for the Cavalry to arrive )
I also have bt h.hub 5 and TP power plugs  to my second computer ,  there is a slight  loss in speed , about 8%  ,  my BT connection is Fibre to the cab ,  infinity 1 plan , 52 x 10 Mbps
Have you tried doing a speed test during the buffering time ?
Have you tried turning off the iPad  ? ""  """,
I think doing some speed tests , at several times during the day , might give a clue ,I can run both computers on youtube vids  with no buffering 24/7
sorry I can't help more ,

Offline Madasaflake

• Noobie
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2016, 09:44:13 »
Hi Roco and thanks for the reply. I have tried turning off the ipad when it happens but it makes no difference. Makes me laugh though as this BT BB is supposed to be so fantastic that it couldn't cope with a couple of things! It sounds to me as if you think it may be a speed problem so I will do a test next time it happens and also at random times in the day and evening and see what it throws up. We had considered ditching BT TV and hoping our son didn't miss his cartoons but as this only seems to affect the streaming programs that woudn't do any good would it? I was told that a streaming stick would bypass the TV software and make it more stable but the Roku didn't work and was returned. Do you think the Amazon firestick would be any more use? Or is this problem widespread and unsolveable?  thankyou:1

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2016, 15:48:28 »
simply try streaming on the ipad instead (youtube/Netflix apps) and see if the problem remains... also can you please tell us what your speedtests where and how you tested them? a proper speedtest should be done hard-wired directly to the router,,,this cancels out any possible speed loss through wifi interference or distance from router / walls etc... , then again through the powerline adapters to see what it says...you should be able to determine if the powerline adapters are pulling enough bandwidth through them for streaming - also streaming is time sensitive...in that the data is always coming and if the router is too busy or there isnt enough bandwidth it wont work:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/streaming-video-and-audio.htm

in my experience with the cheapo PL adapters BT use you can get some packet loss and increased ping times...but shouldnt really affect streaming if the connection is healthy enough

give us your speedtest result from the PC which is hardwired to the router...then connect the PC (or laptop) to the powerline adapter instead of the TV then retest...this will tell you if theres any problems - if there are does your TV not have wifi?  most do these days... or you can buy a wifi-to-LAN adapter

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2016, 19:37:03 »
Just to add to what snadge has said a lot depends on the condition of house wiring and whether they are used on the same ring main, its well documented that there are streaming issues with the cheaper end  powerline adapters.
The best option is to connect via ethernet if at all possible   
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline thar

« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2016, 20:21:48 »
The BT adapters aren't plugged into extensions are they? That can affect their performance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2016, 20:36:04 »
The BT adapters aren't plugged into extensions are they? That can affect their performance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
+1   ;)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.