Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: broadband for new house please?  (Read 326 times)

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
broadband for new house please?
« on: 22 November 2016, 18:52:02 »
Advertisement
hi all

ive finally managed to get my own house and im looking to get FTTC installed (as no cable in area - doom/gloom) - i started an option with plusnet fibre but they want 49.99 activation charge for phone line / activation fees (88 to pay upfront) - phone line is installed and I begrudge paying 50 to get BTopencrap to go to the exchange and hook up a pair of wires.....

anyone know of any good deals where i might be able to get

A) FTTC unlimited downloads
B) no lne rental (if possible)
C) Free activation

thanks
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Re: broadband for new house please?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 22:28:20 »
Good news on the house Snadge  :)
FTTC works for me ,  the cab is about 400 yards away I get  around 98.5%
of my 52Mb plan   24/7 with ping times of 7 ms
(No line rental  ) unfortunately don't think  there is such a thing , it has to be factored in at some point , voda phone advertised no line rental  , but hide it in their BB package ,  I stayed with BT , my last house move  lifted and shifted  for free , they suggested it , I didn't even know FTTC was available here at that time , fibre isn't ( Rural ) thankfully  our pavements don't resemble a war zone  :D

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2016, 14:24:37 »
well ordered plusnet - cost 80 and not getting connected until 16th Dec - he said both be done same day. immediatley after signing up i got SMS and email saying phone line has been cancelled and they requested null for engineer and new dates will be sent out?????????
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2016, 21:45:05 »
Don,t be surprised if you get more than one activation date, however support is good  when things go wrong via their forums or telephone, i have never had any issues with them no slowdowns at peak time etc   :)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline thar

« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2016, 16:33:11 »
My activation, 3 years ago now, was messed up, but a quick call to Plusnet CS soon sorted it out. I've never had a problem since. Line rock solid, good speed and no evidence of throttling.

They've just ventured into the mobile phone business. I'm currently with Life mobile and Plusnet have bought them out, I'm hoping for some good offers as an existing customer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2016, 20:27:10 »
dates brought forward to 6th...i asked if this was for phone or both (via CS msg) and they simply replied with "broadband will be active on 7th up until midnight"..? so thats not both on same day but still sooner than 16th

now im without until then ..using my phone as hotspot but at 1p per MB its too much, 25 if i want all you can eat for 30 days - i was gunna hack the neighbours wifi lol...but the instruction video was outdated for kali linux  :-\
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Mark_Jones15

• Noobie
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2016, 17:28:25 »
It might actually worth checking out John Lewis Broadband who offer one price (essentially including line rental) for your broadband.  See this post for more info:

http://www.broadbandlondon.com/2016/12/10/john-lewis-broadband-scrap-line-rental-charges/

They still offer fttc resold from Openreach like everyone else, but their plans are nice and straight forward.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2016, 00:06:02 »
It might actually worth checking out John Lewis Broadband who offer one price (essentially including line rental) for your broadband.  See this post for more info:

http://www.broadbandlondon.com/2016/12/10/john-lewis-broadband-scrap-line-rental-charges/

They still offer fttc resold from Openreach like everyone else, but their plans are nice and straight forward.
nice find mark , indeed I buy electrical goods from them , and also food by Waitrose local store ,
and claim my members free latte  on my travels ,
but love there honesty  policy , their fttc  with 24 hour home phone free calls uk , works out the same as bt/open reach ,   but now in a 18 month contract with Bt , im would willingly  move to J.Lewis next contract renewal , 

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2016, 14:59:09 »

I got plusnet for 40/2 for 23.99 inc. Line Rental @ 17.99 on an offer. for the whole 18 months ..currently for 10 days they have 40/2 inc LR for 25 and 80/20 for 30 inc. LR - much better than John Lewis deal

Up to 17mb 22.50 per month (standard ADSL2 broadband)
Up to 38mb 32.50 per month (fibre broadband)
Up to 76mb 36.50 per month (faster fibre broadband)

I see Sky (I dunno why other providers havent been told to do this) but Sky have been forced to show the 'average' fibre speeds

Enjoy average UK download speeds of 34Mb and dedicated support from the Sky Broadband Tech Team.
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline KRW

« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2016, 21:58:23 »
Origin broadband that I'm with is 37..99 for 76/18 Inc line rental

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2017, 19:09:09 »
Origin broadband that I'm with is 37..99 for 76/18 Inc line rental

suppose its what you have available too... i notice that most providers want 49,99 activation fee for the fibre but PlusNet dont, only charge 7 for router del.

im phonong PN tomoz to be put on 80/20 as its on offer, im going to try and get it at the offer it was on when i got 40/2 which was 28.99 for 80/20 - but its only 30 at the moment so its unlikley they will and i will just have to pay it - 6 month more and I should get circa 67/18 - compared to 37/1.7

i want it more for the upload speed...file sharing...cloud etc
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline KRW

« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2017, 19:37:50 »
Happy NY, There is no set up charge or router delivery charge. You can get data only if you wish. Their 38 down option has 10 up not 1.7.

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2017, 13:41:01 »
Happy NY, There is no set up charge or router delivery charge. You can get data only if you wish. Their 38 down option has 10 up not 1.7.

tbh if i had 37/10 I wouldnt consider upgrading
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2017, 16:49:40 »
...well they wouldnt upgrade at the lower price |OR at their current sale price as its JUST FOR NEW CUSTOMERS,....i said im new...few weeks lol - they wanted 33 which was an odd price as its usually more than that - im not paying an extra 9 month just to have beneficial upload speeds

stuff it
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz