Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: upgrade  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2015, 20:15:01 »
Advertisement
Last month used 600gb and so far since the 10th used 200gb

Offline thar

« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2015, 20:48:25 »
We average around 400gb, the lions share is used by my son. I disputed the usage figures when we were with BT but I have to accept now that our usage has significantly increased. At one time a usage limited product would have been fine but not anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2015, 21:04:51 »
We don't have anyone who plays online anymore

Offline warweezil

• Getting There
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2015, 10:43:29 »
Theres an xbox 360 and a PS2 in the lounge but they haven't been touched in ages. We will probably get into streaming more when the sky contract expires Gaming stopped here largely because the line was prone to dropping at the wrong time - and other issues of "quality" that meant gaming wasnt a fun relaxing diversion from the stresses of the day that it should have been.

Im about done with Sky, there are only so many times I want to watch MASH or House end to end lol and Ive now seen all the Boston Legal episodes made (missed a few before).. long way of saying Sky doesn't have any compelling new programming that justifies keeping the service. why to drop Sky.... The new series of South Park will be out on DVD soon, Futurama has gone, The Simpsons are losing it... I could go on, even Del boy Brewer on Wheeler Dealers has lost the small interest it had for me. Channel surfing and finding nothing new and interesting to watch is not an entertaining way of spending an evening, and even the couple of series that may return over winter are not worth the monthly sub to watch. MotoGP has gone from Eurosport so I no longer follow it, like F1, part of a season or coverage delayed by days is no use to me. I can do the lemans 24 on live stream, BTCC is on ITV (the only time I watch ITV funnily enough) it seems british TV is finally dead - killed off by those who stole Thames TV from Londoners.

Back to ADSL? I wouldn't want to, the copper in this area is abysmal And beyond moving near the exchange (where according to some mapping on Thinkbroadband many people get lousy speed for the location) I think fibre is really what we needed here to make this worthwhile.

Of course I could go see about that empty place around the corner from work... less commute no toll bridge.. right now only 1 meg... but FTTP is coming to the village soon ... (why do we not have a "drooling" emoji?  ;D)

Im looking at the way my line is running over the next few months, Ive upgraded all the cabling to Cat 6 ether, the modem has a ADSLNation screened lead on it, the modem and router are fed from a screened & filtered powerstrip, and there is no voice equipment on the line. So now I am assessing the performance BOTH of my ISP and Openjokes local copper - all 350 metres of it.

I cant recall if I had the Fritzbox 7390 when we were on DSLZone, I got it for several reasons, quality, functionality (you can even use it as a DECT base station) and the fact that it does produce some form of system log. Sadly the stats are over the head of the engineers locally, bit loading graphs and such mean nothing to them - they claim - no wonder they cant find out why my line falls over on ADSL so much.

It was also dropping with the Fritzbox before I did the internal upgrades but strangely the HG612 was holding it up - mostly- although we did have moments where the connection seemed to "freeze" and Adium seemed to log off of the IM servers briefly. I have unlocked the HG612 and can see the stats, We were on 6db NM but I had to have the power off for an hour last week for some work here and since reconnecting we are up to 7.8db - not happy about that. Ill give it a month then sub it for the Fritz (its a simple change) and see what happens. whatever is affecting this line has tobe outside of here, but Openjoke still cant find it.

The last time we had issues here (about 3 months ago) I mentioned a D side swap to the engineer who came out to test the line - he told me that wasn't likely to happen as there are no spare pairs down here that they can use. considering I have paid well over the odds for ADSL for years (market 1 rates) and that in recent times ADSLMax exchanges (as this was until quite recently) are being kept running with used kit sourced from areas that have had WBC upgrades to ADSL2 then you have to question just what the **** I have been paying rental for because clearly it hasn't been invested in out local loop.

BT group are a sick joke - any other company in any other industry would be hauled over the coals for the way they abuse their unfortunate end users.

Wow this kinda spilled into a rant about Tv as well... I must get my medication updated  :)) :))

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2015, 14:23:46 »
We just cancelled sky TV after many years, just watch freeview now and at the same time got the price down on plusnet for my fibre and line rental so all good

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 21 September 2015, 00:08:36 »
Amazing news  , Roco the Luddite , after cleaning up my car after driving home 4 20-21
uni students from my grandsons  birthday bash  , ( I stayed sober I knew what was coming having still got a very faded T shirt )  I found a Nokia camera phone , contact the owner , he said great party and thanks for being the sober driver ,
OH , keep the phone I have just bought a new updated one ,  it was only a PAYG ,

Roco , is now moving with the times , I now have a Nokia phone + camera  with 8.50 in credit , I guess being a uni student isn't so tough as I thought ,
he also said I will drop in the charger , and by the way we were all impressed with your
with your old gangman style dance ,  cant believe I did that sober on a empty dance floor ), ex RAF/Fleet air
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aircraft+carrier+dance&FORM=VIRE5#view=detail&mid=01BA90836631558A34C601BA90836631558A34C6
Things today that worries me , is those past opportunities seem to have vanished ,
and now replaced getting their rocks on with drugs etc . my drug has always been women , thus proving there is nothing like an old fool , ;)

Offline thar

« Reply #26 on: 21 September 2015, 17:27:24 »
We just cancelled sky TV after many years, just watch freeview now and at the same time got the price down on plusnet for my fibre and line rental so all good
We cancelled sky when we got fibre, the only thing I miss is the record function but I can live without that. We probably watch more tv now rather than the repeats sky had to offer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk