Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pride comes b4 a fall ?  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Pride comes b4 a fall ?
« on: 21 February 2015, 21:23:16 »
Advertisement
as much as I have uped BT's infinity , after 4 years of rock solid speed and boasted about for the last 6 months turning the router on and off ,  I now got a  problem ,  the router had been powered up for the last 6 months ,
 last Saturday (14th ) just when I neededto check building stuff out at Wickes I found
the home hub 4 with orange flashing lights . and attempting to connect ,

so I phoned BT help desk,  got the " how can I be helping you , long story short , a new HH4 arrived Tues , meanwhile  my original  HH4 started syncing on Sunday
and still does just at 1/2 speed ,  the replacement never syncs ,

seems to me something happened to my line last Friday/Saturday night
I just feel endless  fun coming on  ( not ) with BT trying to get my infinity back up to my normal speed , 

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: Pride comes b4 a fall ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2015, 21:44:07 »
Didn't they send you a HH5

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2015, 22:21:24 »
hh5 type A has had a firmware update in last few weeks that has sorted some probs for some owners but caused some for others(bt engineer told me that today on their reg visit!) so it could be related to that,log on and got to "helpdesk"(2nd tab in troubleshooting menu)it will show you date of last software(firmware update)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2015, 22:41:19 »
I was hopping  but I got  HH4 , either way my line took a sudden dive ,.
 by about 50% , I have changed all my wired cables , put online my back up win 7 computer , and a MAC ibook , all are showing a speed reduction of near 50 %,n a week later , so I figure that rules out line management  ? even checked my curious  line junction box under the eaves  for corroded  connections , done everything I can apart from climbing their pole just  across the road  lol:1 even swapped out their face plate
(BTW the 50v dc  goes to the "a "or 2  terminal  ;)

soon as I get time I will bite BT's ass , because I sure aint paying for Hi speed that I aint getting ,

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2015, 22:56:18 »
I was hopping  but I got  HH4 , either way my line took a sudden dive ,.
 by about 50% , I have changed all my wired cables , put online my back up win 7 computer , and a MAC ibook , all are showing a speed reduction of near 50 %,n a week later , so I figure that rules out line management  ? even checked my curious  line junction box under the eaves  for corroded  connections , done everything I can apart from climbing their pole just  across the road  lol:1 even swapped out their face plate
(BTW the 50v dc  goes to the "a "or 2  terminal  ;)

soon as I get time I will bite BT's ass , because I sure aint paying for Hi speed that I aint getting ,
if they can't solve over the phone they should arrange an engineer visit for you,my problem(s) are always at the cabinets,seems one I am connected to has a bit of a name for being problematic,today's engineer told me they have had t do 12 lifts and shifts in it this past week!

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2015, 23:03:52 »
hh5 type A has had a firmware update in last few weeks that has sorted some probs for some owners but caused some for others(bt engineer told me that today on their reg visit!) so it could be related to that,log on and got to "helpdesk"(2nd tab in troubleshooting menu)it will show you date of last software(firmware update)
thanks Steve ,  that might be the clue ,  been checking my home hubs 4  logs
seems like  it disconnected   then   reconnected for multi times  for 10 seconds at a time
 back to reconecting all through last Fri 13th night,   
soon as I get time I will look at the firmware updates , as they are  in the HH4 logs ,
but I was only looking at  the sync successes then the multi   after  10 second  the
 sync  success yet again,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2015, 21:49:19 »
There are times my imaginary carer should stop me playing with things I think I understand   :-[
Looks like Steve was right  on the BT firmware update , it  updated in the early hours
on Sat ,  I didnít notice  the Home hub was still trying to connect till late afternoon ,
as I was busy I just turned it off as it would not connect , tried it again Sunday eve ,
still no sync ,  phoned BT , spent an hour on the phone learning hindi ,
but he did ask what hub I had ,  I said HH4  ďDOH ď my mistake itís HH5 ,
the replacement HH4 arrived and spent Tues evening  trying to get it to connect ,
(  without a modem ) gave up and put back my HH5  which I thought was a HH4 ,
It connected  and still does but at 50% slower speed ,
Maybe line management has Kicked in ? ?????,

Still no sure what the original problem was/is  ,  but for the time being  I can live in the slow lane ,
 I did change filters&face plates , even climbed  a ladder to check  out the mysterious grey box  on the eves , just a phone line in  termination   , was going to remake the 2 wire connections  , (solder & heat shrink sleeve )   but I donít think thatís the problem ,  I notice I have 51vdc  at the face plate , so figured itís not a high resistance problem ,

To be fair on BT , the incorrect replacement Home Hub 4 was my mistake ,  the original problem is down to them ,  I will follow that up in a weeks time when not so busy  ,

steve195527

« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2015, 18:21:49 »
if you log on to the router(hh5) and click on troubleshooting/helpdesk
it will show you most of stats for your connection,including snr ratio and max data rate,from those you can tell if its a problem at your end or if bt have throttled your connection

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2015, 18:34:19 »
Thanks Steve , I will check later this evening ,

Offline thar

« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2015, 19:39:31 »
The http://speedtest.btwholesale.com may be able to tell you your line profile. That can help diagnose line faults too. I say may, as it doesn't always give profile information, it isn't working for me just now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

steve195527

« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2015, 20:39:56 »
The http://speedtest.btwholesale.com may be able to tell you your line profile. That can help diagnose line faults too. I say may, as it doesn't always give profile information, it isn't working for me just now.

you have to run the initial test and then the further diagnostics option when that is finished:-that option doesn't work with some ISP's,it never worked for me when I was on sky fibre even though they all use BT's network

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2015, 23:08:18 »
Thanks Steve & thar
I do appreciate  your advice ,

My basics  , I don't use wireless  ,
I have for the past 4+ years BT infinity  plan 1 , =40 x 10 mbs
it has a cap of 40 Gb ,  never exceeded that , ( I use a net meter )
never had a speed issue before , always got  37.5 x 8.75 Mbs  ,
got to admit I don't need speed , would have taken DSL   if my line would have given me  15 Mbs ,  but isp's are saying 4Mbs if your lucky , 
at the moment I am now getting 17.4 Mbs down ,   it's usable , but heck where has the other 20 Mbs suddenly gone ,
I did some tests
My IP profile is now 17.4 Mbs  ( thanks Thar for the link )
Steve  My hh5 log is showing 
( 147.590000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=18000000Kbps, Up Rate=3695000Kbps;
SNR Margin Down=28.7dB, Up=30.6dB

I have a lot of =
IN: BLOCK [9] Packet invalid in connection (tcp reset attack is suspected: TCP
[216.58.208.78]:443-​>[86.146.108.27]:6900 on ppp3),

is that normal  ?, as I have not looked in the HH5 logs until   I had this problem ,

steve195527

« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2015, 05:17:19 »
its looks like a bt issue and seems for some reason your line has been capped,your snr is too high

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2015, 00:54:11 »
its looks like a bt issue and seems for some reason your line has been capped,your snr is too high
Indeed Steve ,  changed everything in the house including  running my spare computer
seems like something happened that Fri Night that left my bt hh5   stuck in a connecting re syncing  loop  ,  at the moment I am leaving the HH5 powered up , to see if the speed improves ( line management ? )  until next week , when I shouldn't be so busy ,
meanwhile I am holding  their replacement HH4 as ransom ,  :D

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2015, 01:17:04 »
Sod . not only busy but gone down with the Flu ?,
I now find my 14th Feb problem has been signed of as done ,
(like they sent the wrong router and still getting !/2 speed ,)
indeed I joined bt's help desk queue
 and selected phone me back within the hour option ,
3 hours later zilch , so I left it a day or so , just to see if my line profile  improved
it has at about 1/2 mbs  a day now up from 17 mbs to 25  , 
 how long does line management take ?  my snr is now down from 30dB to 25 dB  , 
far short of the original 7 dB ,

yeah I got to get back to BT and chew their balls off , but at the  moment I am online
and can't be assed ,
BTW it seems BT wholesale speed checker will only give Ip profile once in 24 hours ,
 :D just a though  I know my local fibre cab , I got a Bat drill  and a propane cylinder ,
Ha Ha  well it works on the  hole in the wall ATM in my local CO-OP and  Mercedes world Brooklands , Weybridge  ,   lol:1

steve195527

« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2015, 16:12:17 »
Sod . not only busy but gone down with the Flu ?,
I now find my 14th Feb problem has been signed of as done ,
(like they sent the wrong router and still getting !/2 speed ,)
indeed I joined bt's help desk queue
 and selected phone me back within the hour option ,
3 hours later zilch , so I left it a day or so , just to see if my line profile  improved
it has at about 1/2 mbs  a day now up from 17 mbs to 25  , 
 how long does line management take ?  my snr is now down from 30dB to 25 dB  , 
far short of the original 7 dB ,

yeah I got to get back to BT and chew their balls off , but at the  moment I am online
and can't be assed ,
BTW it seems BT wholesale speed checker will only give Ip profile once in 24 hours ,
 :D just a though  I know my local fibre cab , I got a Bat drill  and a propane cylinder ,
Ha Ha  well it works on the  hole in the wall ATM in my local CO-OP and  Mercedes world Brooklands , Weybridge  ,   lol:1
you can re-run the further test option on the bt wholesale site every 10mins,or you should be able to,it also sends a copy to your isp so they can see the speeds you are getting BUT when you run one it overwrites the one the isp gets,so they can only go off the latest one you run

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2015, 20:04:47 »
Thanks again Steve ,  the extended test  has run both times today .
I was interested in my IP profile ,  after my problems it fell to 17.2 Mbps
2 weeks on it has risen to  24.2 ,  my snr is now 25.9  it was 30 2 weeks back ,
still far short of my normal 40 mbs  profile  ,   but at least 24 Mbps is better than nowt ,
will be getting on to my ISP ( BT) next week , when things here are less chaotic ,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2015, 22:01:04 »
Just a update on my BT FTTC ,
heck , how long does BT's line management take , BT's problem was on the 14th of Feb with no sych   next day it was back up but at 17mbps , down from my usual 37 Mbps
since then today it has reached the dizzy heights of 33 Mbps , but upload has got fastest ever . and I am getting ping times of 1Msec  ,
seem to be getting a daily speed increase of about 1/2 Mb a day constant  25 days on ,
so I am leaving things as they are , just  to busy to ass  about with there help desk ,
but intrigued by what went wrong and their system in general 

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2015, 22:34:59 »
At least it's going in the right direction

Offline thar

« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2015, 17:50:55 »
At least it's correcting itself. I would rather wait than ring BT anyway. What's your downstream noise margin now? That'll give you an idea how far off your lines maximum capability you are.