Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: sky broadband wifi  (Read 823 times)

Offline daxnigel

• Noobie
sky broadband wifi
« on: 16 February 2015, 18:44:16 »
Advertisement
So I have sky fibre broadband. The performance of the broadband is great, however the WIFI sucks. It is slow and the range is poor. What are other people doing to get better performance and range? what equipment are they using and how are they configuring it?

steve195527

Re: sky broadband wifi
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2015, 20:03:20 »
my son has their fibre service and uses  their new hub and he says the wi-fi is superb

Offline daxnigel

• Noobie
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2015, 20:27:57 »
my son has their fibre service and uses  their new hub and he says the wi-fi is superb

I also have the latest sky hub, but the wifi performance is slow compared to the latest routers, and the range is poor for a house, but might be fine for a flat.

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2015, 20:39:07 »
he lives in a house,not a flat hub is upstairs but no problem downstairs or even at end of their garden,which band are you using the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz,the 2.4 is slightly slower,un-noticable in reality,but is better for range/stability but set that to 144mb not 300mb(you won't notice the difference) as the 300mb loses lots of range

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2015, 21:41:14 »
I'm with Plusnet and use a asus rt-n66u and I use it in 5.0ghz mode and it's awesome

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2015, 13:59:34 »
Just use a different router, ive had a few people come in store complaining about Wi-Fi and when ask what router they have a lot say the BT hub, then we show them it working fine on our crappy router which is looks about 8 years old. Try using a WiFi extender or power line adapters...you could try just moving to a more central area in the house., have you checked to see if your crossing or sharing a neighbours WiFi? See the Wi-Fi section in our guides link above which explains everything,
Other than that get a new router, one with external antennas for better gain

steve195527

« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2015, 20:14:19 »
Just use a different router, ive had a few people come in store complaining about Wi-Fi and when ask what router they have a lot say the BT hub, then we show them it working fine on our crappy router which is looks about 8 years old. Try using a WiFi extender or power line adapters...you could try just moving to a more central area in the house., have you checked to see if your crossing or sharing a neighbours WiFi? See the Wi-Fi section in our guides link above which explains everything,
Other than that get a new router, one with external antennas for better gain
not sure you can get your user info out of skys new hubs to put in a different router,so using an alternative to their hub may be a no go,I had some software to get info out of old netgear routers they used to supply