Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: External Hard drive  (Read 597 times)

Offline westernatlas772

External Hard drive
« on: 06 February 2015, 22:03:00 »
Advertisement
Hi all again. I want to purchase an external hard drive so I can keep an up to date back up from both my SSD and HDD. I have 110gb on the SSD and 225gb from my HDD.   Can anyone recommend which make and size to purchase.  I see PC world are having a sale at the mo so I may pick one up this weekend....I dont mind whether its a desktop or portable as it will just be sitting next to the PC, but I will be looking at under 100.......thanks for any help .

Offline Stevan

...who said that?

steve195527

Re: External Hard drive
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2015, 10:58:11 »
bet 90% of them are made in same plant and just "badged" differently

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2015, 12:14:16 »
Bloody Hell...thats an ugly looking hard drive, I wouldnt want that on full view backing up my drives, it looks like a stretched-coffin, or one of those piggy banks from the 70s that you wind up...put  a 10p on it and a plastic skeleton hand comes out and pulls the money inside he he lol.....only joking you guys, seriously tho, do i not just need a portable hard drive, flat, that can sit unobtrusively to the side

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2015, 00:09:09 »
u havent taken into account of compression so the backups will be much smaller, i would have backed too  ssd to hdd but if you want to back everything up then a 1Tb Paspport drive (runs on USB power) should be enough... I use Acronis True Image (the best) but version 2011 as i had issues with later versions

i havent put it back on yet as may go back to 7 but backups were much smaller...i reckon 330Gb will be about 280Gb or less - the SSD backs up fast but the other drive will take a bit longer
 backup twice a week same as me automated

so a 1Tb drive will be ample welcome:1

did u get my text about it - anything larger then 2-3Gb is usuaslly much bigger  and runs on their own power supply, you can get tiny 1Tb or 2Tb "Passport" drives - more portable , tiny, quiet and can be taken around easily

this is only 2Tb passport drive i cam find in few secomds i hvae:
http://www.ebuyer.com/509715-toshiba-2tb-stor-e-canvio-portable-hard-drive-silver-hdtc720es3ca

fkn 12:116 trying to iron work clothes lol