Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: whats your choice O/S  (Read 4316 times)

Offline KRW

Re: whats your choice O/S
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2015, 19:19:15 »
Advertisement
Btw have w10 build 9926,  have option at switch on of w10 or roll back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2015, 20:31:25 »
Btw have w10 build 9926,  have option at switch on of w10 or roll back.
No its not possible to roll back to a previous O/S, although you can roll back to a previous state
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline KRW

« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2015, 20:48:10 »
I'm not too worried I have a usb recovery, but as I quite like w10 over w8.1 I'll more than likely get w10 for the tablet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2015, 20:00:53 »
I was looking at a laptop running 8 ,  thinking it reminded me of windows “BOB”
Both doomed to failure  ,  but at least BOB gave me my favourite hound “Rover”,
I still smile when Rover bounds out his of kennel  and cuts his chain with oxy acetylene torch  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

snadge

« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2015, 11:27:21 »
It will be what I would call ULTRA BETA... Nuff said

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk 2

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2015, 22:21:24 »
It will be what I would call ULTRA BETA... Nuff said

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk 2
Figure I now have nothing to loose,  My Embeded XP pro is now getting a 404 on the update channel ,  so will be moving to 7  soon ,  but will, given time shove in XP + BOB on a spare H/D , just for fun ,
fortunately I have 7 pro ( legit ) on DVD , and licensed to this computer , only change would be from a failed SSD to a standard H/D ,  then later this year might throw the dice and get the free 10 upgrade ,  :D
got to admit I have never paid a £ for a M/S O/S  , both xp & 7 where gifts for services rendered  ;),   
but  years back did buy  paint shop pro  , found it  unwieldy for my simple photo needs ,and found and still do Adobe photodelux home addition suits me . and joy it runs on 7
( it was a freebie bundled with a scanner  but not limited to , :)

steve195527

« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2015, 03:42:11 »
you could install linux on that one

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2015, 22:02:33 »
you could install linux on that one
Been there before Steve , Either I am lazy or to thick  to venture linux again ,(probably the latter  ;) hence I am still on Xp , :D

BUT , think
I got a calamity coming up , My "C" drive Might be failing ,  but have got it's twin sister as a second drive , and I got 1/2doz Back ups on a removable tray drive ,
and I am in the middle of my kitchen make over , my daughters car has failed the MOT
( wheel bearing ) The ex's washing machine has packed up , My left knee is giving me hell , result = I ain't a happy Bunny at the moment , might even have to use the back up old 2 core dell ( win 7 )  :(
Maybe linux during those end of the tunnel easy days ,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: 06 February 2015, 15:38:00 »
 :o indeed my H/D  is nearly toast ,  it's got bad clusters ? ( sounds painful  :o )
tried Western D repair prog   too no avail ,  just ordered a new  H/D ,
so will have to decide use Xp or 7 , was hoping to stall that until 10 came out ,

steve195527

« Reply #29 on: 06 February 2015, 16:48:22 »
:o indeed my H/D  is nearly toast ,  it's got bad clusters ? ( sounds painful  :o )
so will have to decide use Xp or 7 , was hoping to stall that until 10 came out ,
if you put 7 on aren't you entitled to a free "upgrade" to 10?that is assuming the hardware is capable of running it

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: 06 February 2015, 16:55:35 »
if you put 7 on aren't you entitled to a free "upgrade" to 10?that is assuming the hardware is capable of running it
So I believe Steve ,  Should have moved to 7 by now , but just been to busy ,
(= disinterested ? )  was hopping to find a ms " will my comp run 10  application"
it DID run 7 ok , 

steve195527

« Reply #31 on: 06 February 2015, 16:59:55 »
So I believe Steve ,  Should have moved to 7 by now , but just been to busy ,
(= disinterested ? )  was hopping to find a ms " will my comp run 10  application"
it runs 7 ok ,
prob wont be out till 10 is actually released

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: 06 February 2015, 20:10:29 »
Just found and and run win 8 comparability app , it's good to go on 8 , the only X was on nero 6 ,
 I guess I should build a new comp. but doubt if it will be this year , (  £££ :( )
so will soldier on with my 3.4 Ghz 4 core , with it's DDR2 memory & USB 2 , with shortly a new 1Tb   :o primary drive , How Big ? , can still remember when 250 Mb  was a luxury , and cost a darn sight more , I once paid £ 85 for one stick of  250Mb  memory , =1/2 weeks wages at the time ,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 08 February 2016, 05:53:16 »
 :D :D just got my spare Dell desktop onto Win 10 from 7,  it didn't go easy , it was it's 4 attempt , so far I liked the desktop visuals ,  but ran out of time to explore further ,
but did do a speed test , result, no faster than XP or 7 ,  ???

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 08 February 2016, 21:26:13 »
just my update on 10 , ( on a spare dell 7d/top ,) had a spare couple of hours to fumble around with win10 , pleased to see a lot of my old apps run on it ,
apart from it wouldn't run DVD films  :o ,  as the Dell is used as a lounge entertainment centre , it made the upgrade pointless  >:D , so shoved on VLC -2 , that worked OK ,
on shut down had loads of win 10 updates , seems 1 of them was M/S DVD player !!!!
decided to upgrade  partly because it was free , also eventually we will all have to go that way ,  indeed his master speaks and his dog wags it's tail ,  ;)

snadge

« Reply #35 on: 10 February 2016, 13:48:44 »
how are doing speedtests to compare systems?

you will get the same results on web-speed testing, you should be using system testing software that will give you a points total, I used to Passmarks

https://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

and ran on xp, win 7 and win 10

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 10 February 2016, 21:51:19 »
how are doing speedtests to compare systems?

you will get the same results on web-speed testing, you should be using system testing software that will give you a points total, I used to Passmarks

https://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

and ran on xp, win 7 and win 10
indeed been using  pass mark for years ,  my web speed testing was out of curiosity ,  being the dell now on win 10 is 64bit , my DIY computer running a modified XP pro is 32 bit , totally different machines , both about the same age ,
but totally different specs ,  the dell is a 2.8 intel2 core  my home built is a amd 3.4 quad core , with a now dated gamers Vid card and more memory ,
the difference between the dell with 7  and now running win 10 is 3% slower than when it was on Win 7,   but probably down to the incredible amount of things that load on start up , mainly Microsoft stuff , given time I will reduce that  ;),
not interested in cloud stuff ,  always went the HDD tray mount route, to keep my stuff for me alone   ;) ,
BTW fastest computer I have built  scored 1850, and that was 3 years back

snadge

« Reply #37 on: 11 February 2016, 13:44:05 »
more like the dual-core Intel is faster than the quad-core AMD lol hence the quicker startup hehe

get perfectdisk defrag on both machines and set the default method as SMARTplacement AND to do it double-click on the drive, change default to SMART placement then click on "optimize by" and choose SMARTplacement Performance Aggressive - this will perform this pass by default

they also have a free version which seems to run in the background - and I don't quite understand why (and ive done it on various PC's for years) but if you run a Defrag Only, Then 'Consolidate free space only' pass THEN your SMARTplacement THEN Boot-Time Defrags THEN SMARTplacement again that seems to make it superfast compared to what it was like before u install it

its probably because some file cant be moved etc until something else is moved too  - i dunno why but putting it on and running 1 x SMARTplacement isnt enough, ive found doing the above is (to get it going)

but its still the best defragger due to its SMARTplacement and defrag-on-the-fly options

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: 11 February 2016, 21:02:03 »
My 5 year old DIY AMD 4 core @3.4ghz  is 39% faster than the newer Dell intel 2core @2.9GHz even with its DDR 3 memory ,
anyway The Dell win 7 was a freebie , cleaned it up , and went for the win 10 upgrade
on the 3rd attempt it worked ,  sort of happy with 10 , but it sure had a lot of phone homes running in the background , been sorting that out via settings privacy  ;),
then using Auslogics defrage & optimise the dell gained another passmark 40 points
next step will to be if I can find the time is to check out http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/
he did an excellent XP guide ,
doing this somewhat tedious stuff coz I was going to build a new comp ,  but now going-to do my final grand tour of Europe , http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4042.msg28961#msg28961 to catch up with friends ,
 not building a computer would give me around 4000 miles of Petrol , so have decided to buy a new HHD (£39)for my AMD Xp box  shove on Win 7 Pro , ( I have the disk )
upgrade to 10 , and by then I should be away ( end of May ) without a phone , tablet
or laptop , only a camera , sort of looking forward to detoxing from all the tech stuff ,

Offline gearvr

• Noobie
« Reply #39 on: 29 June 2016, 15:49:56 »
El Capitan OSX for me