Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: whats your choice O/S  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
whats your choice O/S
« on: 17 January 2015, 22:53:50 »
Advertisement
This old Luddite is curious  , got to admit I am still on XP Pro ,
and still getting M/S security updates   ( wink )
Thankfully missed vista and probably 8 , more due to poverty and my natural thoughts of giving a O/S a year or so to get it right, 
Hey , I purchased M.e  when it first came out ,  LOL , so I am cautious by nature since those good old days ? ( try downloading  the correct drivers on 56K dial up )

Thought about making a poll on O/Sís  but I donít have a clue these days about whats out there , but have just been reading world wide 22%  of home computers are still runnig Xp
 so I am not alone just yet , lol:1

Offline KRW

Re: whats your choice O/S
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2015, 12:43:02 »
Tablet on W8.1 and the PCs  on W7 Home premium. Did sign up for W10 beta but did not downloaded, may just buy it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

snadge

« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2015, 14:16:02 »
I know I should have waited for Windows 10, but either way an OS had to go on the 850 EVO SSD so instead of win7prox64 I used 8.1Prox64

lots of niggly issues you would hate if I told you about them, especially if you use OneDrive!!! and don't want to connect your Windows account to your Hotmail/Outlook account (and have to sign in a password at every Windows login from sleep or shutdown!! - gone back to Dropbox!!!

I can't disable windows defender as I don't use real-time internet security, I did use Norton Security but the real-time was greyed and according to their forums is a common problem in win8.1 at least

I have turned off real-time protection in Windows Defender 1st which you have to do so you can stop the Anti-Malware Executable service....but it's greyed out!!!

Ive got classic shell on but so used to start screen at work i may just give it a miss

i just want Win Patrol + Comodo Firewall - or a working Norton Security and be able to turn off its realtime shield when i want

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2015, 19:24:23 »
I am running a dual boot of Vista and Windows 7 on my PC

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2015, 19:25:55 »
Hey , I purchased M.e  when it first came out ,  LOL , so I am cautious by nature since those good old days ?
Yes Windows ME has got to be the worst O/S of all time  ???

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2015, 20:21:15 »
Hey , I purchased M.e  when it first came out ,  LOL , so I am cautious by nature since those good old days ?
Not quite i think Vista takes the top slot, ME comes a close second in my opinion.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2015, 20:31:13 »
Not quite i think Vista takes the top slot, ME comes a close second in my opinion.
hard to choose between those two,but 98 was pretty dire when it 1st came out as well,98se was great though

Offline thar

« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2015, 20:53:39 »
My first Time PC was running ME. It was always crashing but as it was my first PC, I didn't realise at the time just how bad it was.

I have also experienced Vista. I found the UAC to be a pain in the butt.

Out of the two, I'd say Vista was slightly better.

I'm currently running Windows 7 on my main PC and laptop. I think it's the most stable version of Windows since XP.

I tried Windows 8 and hated it and I  recently trialled Windows 10 and found it to be a great improvement on 8 and would consider buying a licence.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2015, 22:51:31 »
I have found ME much more troublesome than Vista !

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2015, 22:58:01 »
My first Time PC was running ME. It was always crashing but as it was my first PC, I didn't realise at the time just how bad it was.

I have also experienced Vista. I found the UAC to be a pain in the butt.

Out of the two, I'd say Vista was slightly better.
I used to find the UAC troublesome but I got rid of the problem by installing the Norton UAC tool that remembers your choice after a few attempts of responding to the UAC prompt.

I used to find Windows ME crashing all the time which was much more troublesome than the UAC annoyance which is no longer a problem to me for the reason described above.

I tried Windows 8 and hated it and I  recently trialled Windows 10 and found it to be a great improvement on 8 and would consider buying a licence.
I have also tried out Windows 8 and thought it was very much a backward step compared to Windows 7.

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2015, 00:43:16 »
Less not forget that 10 is a slight improvement n 8 and with very few changes merges the start screen onto the all new start menu (which I have Classic Shell Anyway)

if I were you I would wait 6-12 months before buying a license to give time to iron out faults

also UAC can be turned off in Vista,7,8 without prompts its turned off

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2015, 17:36:29 »

Vista didn't run out of resources throwing up a black screen, cancel or ignore doing very little like ME. Or requiring excessive reboots.
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2015, 23:28:23 »
I go to stand up and be counted for M.E , it was problem free for me after 
my only store bought computer ( Staples ) came pre loaded ,
cured by a reload from a loaned M.E. disk , still can believe my case licence 
worked  :D
once the drivers caught up, I never had a problem with M.E ,
as I run comp's light on services  ,( 28 on my Xp box now , i tend to look at Memory  req. for the O/S , figuring  if one empty truck going up hill will beat any fully loaded one,
but heck I started out with Win 3.1, and still see computers as a  box that you plug in and it works , and have no desire to disappear up my own ass,
 lol:1 Maybe I should find a different sort of forum especially for Luddite's ?
only kidding guys , I do value your inputs ,help and thoughts ,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2015, 16:17:55 »
can anyone confirm that Win 10 is going to be free for 1 year only
for 7-8 user's ,  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/21/microsoft_giving_windows_10_away_free_for_windows_7_81_and_phone_users/
I can only guess it will be only be a downloadable upgrade ? 
my only attraction is the " FREE" bit   ;)
"Certainly Windows 10 will be the most adopted and used version of Windows ever. The 12-month free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will spur massive adoption figures on release and save Redmond from the rather embarrassing position it finds itself in today, where Windows 8.1 is less used that the 14-year-old Windows XP.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/22/windows_10_cortana_and_spartan_and_xbox_oh_my/

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2015, 17:38:22 »
Its my understanding that it will be a free upgrade for those running win 7, 8, 8.1 and phone for the first year only.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2015, 21:10:52 »
Its my understanding that it will be a free upgrade for those running win 7, 8, 8.1 and phone for the first year only.
that's the way I read it Den,  just get nervous that Micro.S is giving a Freebie  :))
Although I am still on XP pro , I do have Win 7 pro Disk , registered to this computer ,
only problem is it's installed on a removed failed SSD so might need a phone call ,
to get it running on a proper H/D ,  ;)
next prob is will this computer run 10, it ran 32 bit 7 OK , but if 10 is a freebie nothing lost if it doesn't ,

Offline KRW

« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2015, 17:17:45 »
Well decide to take the plunge currently installing w10 on my tablet

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2015, 17:42:16 »
Well decide to take the plunge currently installing w10 on my tablet
Remember though its only an evaluation build, when windows 10 is officially launched it will stop working.

Offline KRW

« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2015, 18:57:26 »
I know it's just giving a chance to compare.  I just been checking the settings.  First impressions is good I like the new desktop feel. It has a w7 desktop but when select globe (now windows oblong icon) menu opens as w7 but with w8 app start screen as well.  This can be made full screen with scrollable program list on left and scrollable app tiles on the right.  From this there good chance of me ge getting w10.

Offline KRW

« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2015, 19:12:00 »
Can't change backup option from one drive to my box account this may just be a tech review only default.