Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gmail query  (Read 1438 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Gmail query
« on: 09 January 2015, 18:54:27 »
Advertisement
My girlfriend has managed to lose her mobile the other day. She did, of course, ring up Orange and put a block on the SIM and mobile but she is worried about her Gmail account being compromised as she never uses a PIN or password on her mobile like I do !

What she has done is accessed her Gmail account on her laptop and has changed the password but she is worried that whoever has her mobile now can still see any Gmail emails that are sent to her mobile you know when the senders details and subject title of the message are displayed across the top of the screen of a mobile ?!

Does anyone know if changing the password on a Gmail account also stops this from happening ?

Cheers for any advice  :)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Gmail query
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2015, 18:55:34 »
I almost forgot, to top it all she didn't take out mobile phone cover in case her mobile was lost or stolen  ::)

Offline thar

« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2015, 19:06:51 »
I must admit, I don't have a password or pin as it's a pita when you want to access your mobile quickly when you have that set up.

I would think changing her Google password would prevent any further emails going through.

If her phone was set up correctly, it is possible to remotely lock and erase and android phone see this.

I never had mobile insurance until I got it bundled with other insurances recently from nationwide. I think it depends on how much the handset costs to replace, in some cases the insurance could be more than the handset.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline thar

« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2015, 19:14:46 »
Just found this "Changing your google password will prevent the phone from syncing with your google account, but will not remove data already on the device."

You can actually install an app called Plan B from Lookout security which may be able to locate the missing hand set providing its turned on see here

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2015, 19:21:23 »
I must admit, I don't have a password or pin as it's a pita when you want to access your mobile quickly when you have that set up.
That's what she said !

I would think changing her Google password would prevent any further emails going through.
I hope you are right thar but what has got her worried is when just as a sort of 'test' I sent a message (not on Gmail but a 'standard' text message) with the wording "Hello" and the message I sent from my mobile wasn't rejected so it must have got through that end despite her mobile and SIM being blocked ?!

I think that the block only prevents calls or text messages being sent not received ?

If her phone was set up correctly, it is possible to remotely lock and erase and android phone see this.
Thanks I will check that link out  :)

I never had mobile insurance until I got it bundled with other insurances recently from nationwide. I think it depends on how much the handset costs to replace, in some cases the insurance could be more than the handset.
That's also what she said as her mobile wasn't that expensive. I think she only paid around 70 for it.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2015, 19:23:57 »
Just found this "Changing your google password will prevent the phone from syncing with your google account, but will not remove data already on the device."
Well that is good news and should put her mind at rest  ;)

You can actually install an app called Plan B from Lookout security which may be able to locate the missing hand set providing its turned on see here
Thanks for the link thar but I can't see it working as the SIM and mobile are blocked  :(

Offline KRW

« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2015, 23:07:44 »
Sign in using a pc/laptop to google play

click on settings (gear wheel) icon

Select Android Device Manager there you Ring, Lock Erase data remotely on your device.

I would think only works if sim is in the and has not been blocked/disabled by your phone company on your instructions.

Either way it's worth trying to make the phone useless to anybody that finds it.

Ken
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline thar

« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2015, 23:27:18 »
That's what she said !

Well I've had 5 or 6 android mobiles now and never set up security on any and...so far, touch wood, have never lost one.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2015, 06:54:44 »
Either way it's worth trying to make the phone useless to anybody that finds it.
I think it's already useless as the SIM and mobile are blocked.

However I find it odd that text messages can still be sent but phone calls to that number cannot  :-\

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2015, 06:56:24 »
Well I've had 5 or 6 android mobiles now and never set up security on any and...so far, touch wood, have never lost one.
Same here although I am only on my 4th smartphone ! (touchwood)