Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any cat owners here ?  (Read 888 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Any cat owners here ?
« on: 05 January 2015, 19:53:08 »
Advertisement
My girlfriend is planning on moving in with me later in the year and I was wondering about her cats.

She thinks the world of her 2 cats and I was wondering how it works when cats are moved to a strange area ?

I live around 3 miles from her.

Are the cats likely to get disorientated in a new area or will they adapt ?

I haven't mentioned this to her as I don't want to set the alarm bells ringing !

Thanks for any advice.

Offline KRW

Re: Any cat owners here ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2015, 20:26:26 »
we have 3 cats (the wife's) she's vet nurse she recommends
a) on the day of the move,  move the cat basket, feeding bowls, litter trays and toys to your house preferable in a room that you won't be putting any of your gf belongings in and keep the door shut so as not too scare them.
b) move all the gf belongings into your house and with house shut move the gf things that are required in the room where cats are shut in last.
c) open all the internal doors so that can wonder around and get their bearings and know their new surroundings.
d) do not let them out of the house, keep them inside for at least a week
e) let them slowly wonder outside (backyard or garden) on their own terms, don't push'em and be in their / keep'em in sight, call them if they stray stroke them (tip have some treats to hand to feed'em/ stop them going too far).
f) after a couple of more weeks they should acclimatise to the new surroundings, don't rush'em
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2015, 20:31:33 »
a)move the cat basket and feeding bowls to your house
Okay I will mention that to her nearer the time of the move. Thanks.

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2015, 20:37:01 »
dont own a cat sorry

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2015, 20:40:06 »
dont own a cat sorry
Neither do I which is why I asked for advice  :P

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2015, 20:40:41 »
a)move the cat basket and feeding bowls to your house
Okay I will mention that to her nearer the time of the move. Thanks.
if you keep them in a good few days and pamper them they will be ok,we had no issues when we moved with ours,the old fashioned way was to put butter on their paws so they spent a long time cleaning/grooming themselves  and hence didn't try to find their way home,when we got married both wife and I had our own cats and we moved them both to our new place,had no issues then either
these things are supposed to help settle them,but not had any experience of them myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261514454307?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
we have 3 cats and their best friend(not joking) a staffy,they all sleep together

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2015, 20:41:20 »
a) on the day of the move,  move the cat basket, feeding bowls, litter trays and toys to your house preferable in a room that you won't be putting any of your gf belongings in and keep the door shut so as not too scare them.
b) move all the gf belongings into your house and with house shut move the gf things that are required in the room where cats are shut in last.
c) open all the internal doors so that can wonder around and get their bearings and know their new surroundings.
d) do not let them out of the house, keep them inside for at least a week
e) let them slowly wonder outside (backyard or garden) on their own terms, don't push'em and be in their / keep'em in sight, call them if they stray stroke them (tip have some treats to hand to feed'em/ stop them going too far).
f) after a couple of more weeks they should acclimatise to the new surroundings, don't rush'em
Thanks for the advice  :)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2015, 20:46:08 »
if you keep them in a good few days and pamper them they will be ok,we had no issues when we moved with ours,the old fashioned way was to put butter on their paws so they spent a long time cleaning/grooming themselves  and hence didn't try to find their way home,when we got married both wife and I had our own cats and we moved them both to our new place,had no issues then either
these things are supposed to help settle them,but not had any experience of them myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261514454307?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
we have 3 cats and their best friend(not joking) a staffy,they all sleep together
Thanks for the advice :)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2015, 21:04:05 »
indeed great advice from KRW  :whathesaid:
although I am a dog person , have owned cats and dogs together ,
seems that cats rule even the biggest dogs ,  lol:1
my biggest concern is for CW  with his G/F moving in, now that could be one hell of a cat  fight lol:1 ,  sure dogs snarl and show their teeth , but cats  strike  without warning . only kidding CW , good luck ,
follow KRW 's advice , I have moved successfully a cat 3 times it takes them time to adjust and get to know their new territory , 
best part of its you care , indeed cats have a spooky  way of understanding  friend or foe

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2015, 21:24:07 »
Don't need to give advice as what has been Said is the way to go, but we got 10 cats 4 of those are kittens as we breed Ragdolls

steve195527

« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2015, 21:27:00 »
Don't need to give advice as what has been Said is the way to go, but we got 10 cats 4 of those are kittens as we breed Ragdolls
don't they breed themselves ,left to their own devices?? >:D >:D >:D

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2015, 21:31:26 »
Hahahaha