Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New EU energy rules for TVs and other household gadgets  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Jay9

• Full-Time Member
New EU energy rules for TVs and other household gadgets
« on: 01 January 2015, 08:58:04 »
Advertisement

European Union rules will oblige new networked devices such as modems and internet-connected televisions to switch themselves off when not in use.

Many gadgets are connected to the internet 24/7, using 25-100 watts while their owners sleep.

But new devices sold from Thursday will fall to sleep, using a trickle of power when they are not in use.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30643357

steve195527

Re: New EU energy rules for TVs and other household gadgets
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2015, 12:18:38 »
how will that work during ISPs training periods?

Offline thar

« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2015, 13:05:56 »
My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2015, 13:13:20 »
cos its not really asleep , its on "standby" lol using a small trickle of energy to keep it alive then kick it into action when needed

least thats what i think and ive been an electrical engineer for 25 years lol  :))  NOT

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2015, 13:31:25 »
cos its not really asleep , its on "standby" lol using a small trickle of energy to keep it alive then kick it into action when needed

least thats what i think and ive been an electrical engineer for 25 years lol  :))  NOT
but will that trickle just be there to keep internal clocks synced or will it be enough to stop auto disconnections from a network,seems the eu want to get away from what we regard as being in standby nowadays to being almost dead

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2015, 13:35:02 »
More EU claptrap, with regard to modem/routers this facility has been available for yon'ks its just not enabled by default.
Presumably there will be some exceptions, like lifeline, (has various names but its the same service)  a emergency service that is permanently connected to the mains and phone line to summon help for the elderly and infirm should they meed it.   
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2015, 13:47:21 »
More EU claptrap, with regard to modem/routers this facility has been available for yon'ks its just not enabled by default.
Presumably there will be some exceptions, like lifeline, (has various names but its the same service)  a emergency service that is permanently connected to the mains and phone line to summon help for the elderly and infirm should they meed it.
Den you may be presuming too much,we are talking about the idiots at the EU,they seem to have less idea about the real world than those in Westminster,I know hard to believe but think it's true!

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2015, 16:40:20 »

but will that trickle just be there to keep internal clocks synced or will it be enough to stop auto disconnections from a network,seems the eu want to get away from what we regard as being in standby nowadays to being almost dead

obviously if the device isnt being used, a special tech will be used to keep the line connected and stable until it need to reboot at 2pm (if needs be), etc - modems already have a low power mode called L2

http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/bcg/adsl2_low_power_wp.pdf

steve195527

« Reply #8 on: 01 January 2015, 16:56:13 »

obviously if the device isnt being used, a special tech will be used to keep the line connected and stable until it need to reboot at 2pm (if needs be), etc - modems already have a low power mode called L2

during the training period ISPs state they don't want you to reboot or disconnect your modem or router during the 1st 10days or so,if the way the eu want things to work doesn't allow for them to stay powered on enough for the modem to stay connected then that training period may never end,as its starts from any new reconnection during that initial period,the low power mode available at the mo isn't a secret,most users do know about it,I am just wondering how draconian the power saving that the EU want implemented eventually will be,I bet eventually all low power/standby modes will be abolished for most non-critical appliances and the options will be on or off

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2015, 16:58:48 »
Den you may be presuming too much,we are talking about the idiots at the EU,they seem to have less idea about the real world than those in Westminster,I know hard to believe but think it's true!
I think i probably am steve.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2015, 17:46:08 »

during the training period ISPs state they don't want you to reboot or disconnect your modem or router during the 1st 10days or so,if the way the eu want things to work doesn't allow for them to stay powered on enough for the modem to stay connected then that training period may never end,as its starts from any new reconnection during that initial period,the low power mode available at the mo isn't a secret,most users do know about it,I am just wondering how draconian the power saving that the EU want implemented eventually will be,I bet eventually all low power/standby modes will be abolished for most non-critical appliances and the options will be on or off

onbviously it wont include those 10 days training, once the connection is done, then idle it will drop down to a really low power mode that uses a lot less than tdays devices

sky for eg

that isnt really in some low power state, just pretending it is....how can it be if its recording from 2 tuners in standby......

steve195527

« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2015, 17:57:00 »

onbviously it wont include those 10 days training, once the connection is done, then idle it will drop down to a really low power mode that uses a lot less than tdays devices

sky for eg

that isnt really in some low power state, just pretending it is....how can it be if its recording from 2 tuners in standby......
glad you're so confident on the legislation,after living with the directives governing us drivers for last few years I'm not,even they aren't uniform through the EU and they have had years at that one! It doesn't matter if it's just pretending to be low power or is low power,the eu will ban those that don't comply exactly to the rules they lay down,there is no "maybe it conforms" with them!

snadge

« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2015, 19:03:41 »
exactly :) lol

no way those sky boxes are in some low powered mode when recording BBC1, BBC2 ad u have that little red standy light on

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2015, 22:21:08 »
Got to admit I go with the E.U on this ,   I switch every thing off when I am done using it , heck I might use the car tomorrow but I don't keep the engine running 24/7 ,

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2015, 19:05:20 »
Even the fridge/freezer and router? Absolute 0?
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2015, 16:23:11 »
Even the fridge/freezer and router? Absolute 0?
no to the fridge /freezer , but yes to the router ,  although BT assures me it uses only  6 watts in sleep mode , = 144 watts in 24 hours = 56Kwatts a year =around 10.50 multiply that by all the routers  in sleep mode ,? , that a lot of fossil fuel wasted ,
so maybe the E.U. has a valid point ?

steve195527

« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2015, 21:35:42 »
if you turn your router off nightly there is a chance the dlm will see this as disconnections due to faults and lower your speed,some systems do and will some others are less trigger happy and won't,to be honest I am sick to the back teeth of the eu interfering in what seems every aspect of our lives,it wouldn't bother me as much if they were elected and can be un-elected every 4 or 5 yrs,but they are not,they are appointed by some other body

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2015, 04:20:59 »
if you turn your router off nightly there is a chance the dlm will see this as disconnections due to faults and lower your speed,some systems do and will some others are less trigger happy and won't,to be honest I am sick to the back teeth of the eu interfering in what seems every aspect of our lives,it wouldn't bother me as much if they were elected and can be un-elected every 4 or 5 yrs,but they are not,they are appointed by some other body
never had a problem with DLM , going back years  , with adsl and FTTC,
and ceertaily not with FTTC ,  indeed today my router got turned off 3 times  and still tests within my normal 8 % of what I pay for , so I have no experience of line management  to date, apart from when pipex got taken over by talk talk  , but then a modem reboot   got me back to to my normal 4 mbps, (long line )

but thinking on should we care about wasting resources ( fossil fuel ) if not why object to fracking ,and my desire to own a 6 ltr American muscle car with fins ,(not )
I still cant  believe Dr Beaching tore up so many miles  of railway track, indeed the most economical  way of shifting gods about.
but WTF do I know,we are all puppets to our masters, which ever way we vote