Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Popcorn time  (Read 6853 times)

snadge

Re: Popcorn time
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2014, 16:13:26 »
Advertisement
http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/25/popcorn-time-vpn/

Hollywood’s Streaming Nemesis Popcorn Time Gets A VPN, But You’ll Have To Pay For It

Christmas is a time for family, which by extension makes it a period for sitting back and watching a lot of movies and TV. Maybe that’s why Sony released “The Interview” on Christmas Day. That controversial flick will set you back $6 to rent or $12 to buy (unless you join the legions torrenting it), but the folks at Popcorn Time believe you should be able to watch what you like for free — and now they’ve added a VPN to the streaming service which is Hollywood’s worst nightmare.

Popcorn Time, for those who aren’t aware, is a service that lets you stream a tonne of top films and TV shows to your computer for free. It uses unlicensed torrents on the internet for content, which naturally raises a gamut of legal issues. The original service closed down earlier this year in response to those questions, but a number of anonymous groups resurrected the project, the most notable of which is probably Popcorntime.io, which added an optional VPN to its desktop service today.

VPNs, which essentially route a device’s internet through a different country, are seen as an important addition to Popcorn Time. Some users in Germany were fined for using Popcorn Time earlier this year, so a VPN could help movie fans avoid repercussions for their borderline-legal viewing activity — which we at TechCrunch do not condone, by the way.

We’ve seen VPNs in Popcorn Time before — another group added a free one to its service in June — but Popcorntime.io’s promises to be more robust since it is run by VPN.ht.

Mega caveat though, users will have to pay for it.

VPN.ht is priced at $4.99 per month, but Popcorntime.io users can get it for $1 for the first month after which they can cancel. Alternatively they can pay $3.99 per month on a yearly deal.

Currently in ‘Alpha’, the addition is all well and good, but we can’t help thinking that there are some issues. The cost of free is a primary appeal of Popcorn Time, thus it is unclear whether many users will pony up $30-plus for a VPN service, even though it may be beneficial to them.

Those likely to use VPNs have probably already bought them. Anecdotally, folks shopping for a VPN tend to take their time and weigh up their options from the crowded field. Integrating with Popcorn Time may well give VPN.ht an initial sales boost, but I’m not sure it will make a sizable difference to the service or Popcorn Time’s userbase in the long-term.

A freemium option — offering a free first month of use or a limited monthly service like Tunnelbear — would have been a more impacting addition for both sides.

VPN.ht does support Bitcoin and a range of payment options, but the fact remains that asking people to get their credit cards out — even just for a few dollars — is enough of barrier to deter many.

Beyond the VPN, Popcorntime.io is also promising to revamp its existing Android app with “all kinds of amazing features” soon. You’ll want to keep an eye on the project if that sets your Christmas bells aringing.

back to XBMC then - wouldnt mind payin £3 month if it worked and was used under   the tv AS A htpc - saves £16 on SKY

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2014, 22:49:40 »
I just searched my C: for 'pop' and it came up with an uninstaller. Ran that and all files removed. (Mainly due to it being a works computer I tested it on)  :D

snadge

« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2014, 07:14:10 »
which version you using>?

the fact ur using it on a work computer may be the answer

i tried what you said, used the uninstall, reinstalled latest version,  and now while everthing is still the same as before the popcorn time icon is gone

my GFs laptop is the same, the evidence above points to needing a VPN

what about you Tom?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/25/popcorn-time-vpn/

Hollywood’s Streaming Nemesis Popcorn Time Gets A VPN, But You’ll Have To Pay For It

Christmas is a time for family, which by extension makes it a period for sitting back and watching a lot of movies and TV. Maybe that’s why Sony released “The Interview” on Christmas Day. That controversial flick will set you back $6 to rent or $12 to buy (unless you join the legions torrenting it), but the folks at Popcorn Time believe you should be able to watch what you like for free — and now they’ve added a VPN to the streaming service which is Hollywood’s worst nightmare.

Popcorn Time, for those who aren’t aware, is a service that lets you stream a tonne of top films and TV shows to your computer for free. It uses unlicensed torrents on the internet for content, which naturally raises a gamut of legal issues. The original service closed down earlier this year in response to those questions, but a number of anonymous groups resurrected the project, the most notable of which is probably Popcorntime.io, which added an optional VPN to its desktop service today.

VPNs, which essentially route a device’s internet through a different country, are seen as an important addition to Popcorn Time. Some users in Germany were fined for using Popcorn Time earlier this year, so a VPN could help movie fans avoid repercussions for their borderline-legal viewing activity — which we at TechCrunch do not condone, by the way.

We’ve seen VPNs in Popcorn Time before — another group added a free one to its service in June — but Popcorntime.io’s promises to be more robust since it is run by VPN.ht.

Mega caveat though, users will have to pay for it.

VPN.ht is priced at $4.99 per month, but Popcorntime.io users can get it for $1 for the first month after which they can cancel. Alternatively they can pay $3.99 per month on a yearly deal.

Currently in ‘Alpha’, the addition is all well and good, but we can’t help thinking that there are some issues. The cost of free is a primary appeal of Popcorn Time, thus it is unclear whether many users will pony up $30-plus for a VPN service, even though it may be beneficial to them.

Those likely to use VPNs have probably already bought them. Anecdotally, folks shopping for a VPN tend to take their time and weigh up their options from the crowded field. Integrating with Popcorn Time may well give VPN.ht an initial sales boost, but I’m not sure it will make a sizable difference to the service or Popcorn Time’s userbase in the long-term.

A freemium option — offering a free first month of use or a limited monthly service like Tunnelbear — would have been a more impacting addition for both sides.

VPN.ht does support Bitcoin and a range of payment options, but the fact remains that asking people to get their credit cards out — even just for a few dollars — is enough of barrier to deter many.

Beyond the VPN, Popcorntime.io is also promising to revamp its existing Android app with “all kinds of amazing features” soon. You’ll want to keep an eye on the project if that sets your Christmas bells aringing.

back to XBMC then - wouldnt mind payin £3 month if it worked and was used under   the tv AS A htpc - saves £16 on SKY

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #23 on: 30 December 2014, 07:26:31 »
I was using my work laptop with latest installer and using my apartments wifi. The laptop is completely unlocked to me and does not go through a work VPN unless I select to do so. To do this I physically have to go open it, Other than that it is just the same as a normal laptop.

snadge

« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2014, 07:35:42 »
well im giving up on it - all the evidence above to the contrary, i spent 4 hours yesterday and 2 this morning trying to find a fix, im at work at 12 till 9 - was supposed to be off but a cmr is expecting me in at 2pm for a refund so ive got to go in from 12-9 to refund 1 customer...not happy, need the day off if im honest, apparently it was hectic yesterday.

on their facebook page they say they do have their own VPN but it has downtimes and recommends you chip in etc and their forum is the most difficult forum to use..its not even a forum...

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2014, 07:52:07 »
You could try showbox instead. I believe you need an android emulator for it to run on PC though.

snadge

« Reply #26 on: 30 December 2014, 08:12:09 »
got that working on my phone no probs.. cheers

she wanted it for the TV series for her tablet (Samsung Tab 2 4.4.2) mainly , can u get those?

seems u can and its looks better than Popcorn so far

thanks for that

snadge

« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2014, 09:01:00 »
now i cant get an windows app player that will let me install 3rd party apps

snadge

« Reply #28 on: 30 December 2014, 09:49:31 »
sorted it - not with it today

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #29 on: 30 December 2014, 10:42:49 »
Thats good mate. Let me know what you think. I haven't had a chance to use either yet but guys at my work swear by Showbox.

Offline KRW

« Reply #30 on: 30 December 2014, 11:26:37 »
Following this yesterday installed popcorn 3.6 beta worked for one vid then stopped tried cleaning PC of popcorn for a 3.5.3 but too failed. Just installed showbox and it's great. Also tried popcorn again alpha 3.6 available and working currently watching the maze runner, hope it continues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #31 on: 30 December 2014, 11:54:02 »
The few that I've tried with popcorn have worked spot on

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2014, 15:56:23 »
Should we not create a seperate thread for this? It has seperated the thread in half really.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #33 on: 30 December 2014, 18:45:36 »
Done done done

Offline thar

« Reply #34 on: 30 December 2014, 19:26:00 »
After reading the other thread, I installed the Android apk on my Nexus and the windows version on "my new to me" PC today. On both, TV content was showing although nothing was showing under Movies, but i kept refreshing and it did after half an hour or so.

I'm trying to figure out how to stream from my PC to the TV via the PS3. Seen a YouTube video that recommends Serviio. Gonna try it later, other than that, I'll consider buying a Chromecast, although the prices have doubled recently.

It would be easier to hook up my laptop to the TV, but when I've tried previously, I've never been able to get the laptop to display on the TV.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #35 on: 30 December 2014, 19:48:51 »
How come you can't connect to your TV with a hdmi cable

Offline thar

« Reply #36 on: 30 December 2014, 20:36:05 »
I don't know. I've tried everything,  changing cables, settings. It should just be a case of plug and play but they don't play nice together. I've managed to get popcorn time streaming to the PS3, so at least that's working.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

snadge

« Reply #37 on: 31 December 2014, 07:10:14 »
yeah show box works great and better it can be used for mobiles , only issue with it is the screengrabs of covers are larger and also scroll down the list faster and show empty until they fill a few seconds later (fast/slow connection?)

i may be wrong but popcorn may have had better content

but with showbox you can download the movie - you cant on popcorn

i was talking to a guy who said theres loads of these apps/programs - one was called 123 or summit

Offline KRW

« Reply #38 on: 31 December 2014, 07:26:08 »
I tried showbox  on the PC but bluestack wanted monthly subscription so I deleted it. For time being I'll stick with popcorn on the PC a and windows tablet and showbox on my phone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

snadge

« Reply #39 on: 31 December 2014, 08:09:23 »
eh? - that doesnt figure?  doesnt ask me,

i domt run bluestacks directly - theres a folder that has icons in, showbox being one and i use that and it opens it directly . its ad supported so doesnt need a charge that im aware of?

can you screenshot it for me please? i wonder if it was your install technique as it asks allsorts during it