Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: powerline networking solution  (Read 4202 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Re: powerline networking solution.
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2014, 01:00:26 »
Advertisement
I may just go for that then and see how I get on with it. It is more than up for the job. I was just looking at future proofing a little.
I will be upgrading to an AC router in the future, Probably when a reliable combo unit appears. See what Billion brings to the table in Q1 2015 with their VDSL AC modem/router.

I forgot to add, This will be on a full size desktop and not a laptop.

snadge

« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2014, 01:05:49 »
yeah thats what its for and having the antenna on desktop means you can find the sweet spots - things, when are we gunna get broadband speeds fast enough to use them  :'(

alright getting 434MBps on router, ok if your setting up a VPN a home but for broadband its overkill - but if u have money buy it...i would lol

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2014, 01:13:19 »
Not in our life time I would imagine!
I think I will just down the cheap route for now. No point if I don't have all the other gear to make it go faster!! Thanks.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2014, 01:15:17 »
Speaking of vpn I tried that earlier cyberghost what a load of rubbish slow as hell

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2014, 01:17:19 »
Never even heard of it lol

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2014, 02:14:49 »
I just typed in top 10 free vpn and that was up the top my god slow as you know what

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2014, 02:23:47 »
A decent free VPN wouldn't go amiss just now actually. I'm in Korea so could setup my tablet to play Netflix I guess.

Been looking at getting the WDN4800 unit from TP-Link. The reviews seem really good for it and all for 20ish.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WDN4800

I'll need to wait until I get home so I can see if it will fit. If I remember right, my graphics card is so bulky it covers a couple of slots.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Re: powerline networking solution
« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2014, 23:55:24 »
I guess the thread got cleaned up  lol:1

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #28 on: 31 December 2014, 00:05:49 »
Yes I split the topic under the heading Popcorn time

http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3652.msg26765;topicseen#new

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #29 on: 12 February 2015, 23:14:27 »
Ok folks, I had heard about people raving about homeplugs so thought I should try them first hand and decide for myself.

So....

Well I purchased some Solwise 1200AV2 units.

Had them a week and they have been a nightmare.
First of all the fastest speed I could get was 2.4Mb download. After much faffing around, (changing routers/cables/homeplugs etc but only powering off the modem twice) They started working off their own back. The next morning I tested them again and it looks like the FTTC DLM has kicked in and increased my interleaving depth so ping times have increased. I've also lost 10-12Mb off of my connection speed due to this.

I've installed ferrite cores and shielded cables to modems/routers and phones, None of which appear to have done anything. They are going back. The amount of time spent on these things, I could have lifted the carpet and floor boards and installed a cable.

Oh well, At least I tried. I think a good wireless card as posted previously is on the purchase list.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #30 on: 12 February 2015, 23:48:19 »
Yea I tried them mate and didn't like them at all.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #31 on: 13 February 2015, 00:07:57 »
I just thought I should see for myself. I read that due to the frequencies they run at, they are more prone to interfere with fttc. I'm guessing most people using them are probably blissfully unaware of the interference and havoc they cause to fttc.
I've sent for a refund but sure I've read that I get 7 days for a refund if not faulty. This is day 8 since purchase.

Offline thar

« Reply #32 on: 13 February 2015, 07:01:17 »
They really don't work well with fibre. I already had mine so nothing was lost but I couldn't get any higher than 20 Meg which I was getting on my Be connection. I got cables instead and the speed shot up to 74 Meg. There should be a warning on the box that they do not work well with fibre.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #33 on: 13 February 2015, 09:41:13 »
I've just lost another 6Mb sync speed and put on the next band of interleaving. I've now lost 18Mb off my profile. They are away to be removed this minute.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #34 on: 21 March 2015, 15:19:07 »
Just bought the Asus PCI card with extender. Argos are doing a deal on them. I was just going to get the TP-Link one but will be getting an AC router/modem when I find a decent one I like.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3168523.htm

For the record, DLM still hasn't reverted my line fully. Pings are back to normal but I'm only syncing at 64Mb now instead of 75Mb. I requested a DLM reset but Zen said I may get charge 165 +VAT if it doesn't return it to normal.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: 22 March 2015, 00:10:50 »
Have used TP link cheapo power line thigy's , the worked well enough  , sure beat retro wireless
through 2 solid brick walls and 30+ feet ,  the loss was about  2Mb on a 39Mb wired connection at the worst , but then I didn't/don't  game etc ,
but then I have a thing about wireless .(Putting on my foil hat again having grow up with radio Luxembourg  lol:1 )

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 22 March 2015, 00:21:46 »
Just bought the Asus PCI card with extender. Argos are doing a deal on them. I was just going to get the TP-Link one but will be getting an AC router/modem when I find a decent one I like.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3168523.htm

For the record, DLM still hasn't reverted my line fully. Pings are back to normal but I'm only syncing at 64Mb now instead of 75Mb. I requested a DLM reset but Zen said I may get charge 165 +VAT if it doesn't return it to normal.
BTW it took 30 days for my FTTC  to return to original  , having fallen from 37.5  to 17 Mbps ',  made me realize I could live with 20Mbps , and my contact is up with BT next month , all I need is FTTC  at around  20-30 Mbps  and 24/7 free phone to UK numbers , and happy enough with a  usage limit of  40Gb a month ,
any suggestions guys , ?
BTW can't do ADSL  as best result would be 3Mbps ,

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #37 on: 22 March 2015, 16:49:15 »
I hear plusnet are meant to be quite good. Probably one of the cheapest half decent ISP's around.

I'm currently on day 36 without any further improvements to the line.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #38 on: 22 March 2015, 21:09:54 »
I've been with plusnet 2 years now and been brilliant

steve195527

« Reply #39 on: 22 March 2015, 21:10:03 »
plusnet will be no better than zen(probably not as good for service)the problem lies with BT not which ISP you are using for fibre,have they not sent out an engineer to investigate your drop in speed?