Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: powerline networking solution  (Read 4375 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
powerline networking solution
« on: 28 December 2014, 06:54:08 »
Advertisement
Hey all, I recently bought a house and whilst the PC etc will be up stairs, the modem and router will be at the front door.
How many of you are using powerline networking units? Are they as good as people make out to be? I can't really be bothered pulling in network cable so this is my next thought.

I'm probably going to be looking for ones that have pass through and at least two network ports. What's your thoughts?

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: powerline networking solution.
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2014, 07:18:58 »
I only tried some bt ones for a while but didn't like them my sons Xbox used to lag like hell with them so went back to wireless and all good

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2014, 07:39:44 »
I only tried some bt ones for a while but didn't like them my sons Xbox used to lag like hell with them so went back to wireless and all good

Oh really. I've heard they were a lot less laggy than wireless and have a better throughput. Strange!!

Offline thar

« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2014, 10:40:36 »
I had the BT Comtrends ones for a while, they worked fine with ADSL, but I had to get rid of them when I had fibre installed as the speed was severely limited, so we replaced them with cables.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2014, 11:09:25 »
Might be for some people but my wireless is brilliant I don't use anything else all the devices in the house use wireless. Yesterday I had to go wired just to get a wireless driver for this new laptop I got, first time in over a year and I did a speedtest it came out 74mb same as wireless

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2014, 13:22:15 »
if you're using win 7 or above wireless speed  is usually same as wired,will within a mb or 2,if you're using Vista or lower then just run TCP optimiser and wireless will come up to wired speed

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2014, 15:55:32 »
Thanks for all the input folks. Maybe I'll just invest in a good wireless card then and upgrade my router from the N66U I currently have.
I just wasn't sure if power line would give a more stable connection with lower ping times.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2014, 16:01:07 »
You shouldn't need to upgrade your router why don't you get a 5.0ghz wifi card for your pc

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2014, 16:10:25 »
i ususlly get higher speedtest results on the 5.0ghz wireless network then what i do on the 2.4ghz

steve195527

« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2014, 16:18:16 »
i ususlly get higher speedtest results on the 5.0ghz wireless network then what i do on the 2.4ghz
but don't you find slightly worse range?

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2014, 16:38:59 »
Not really no, I know that's what they say but I use 5.0 both on my phone and laptop and its brilliant

steve195527

« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2014, 17:59:57 »
Not really no, I know that's what they say but I use 5.0 both on my phone and laptop and its brilliant
it affects my daughter in her bedroom,but it has to go through one stone wall and brick wall from the router to her room,our house was originally 2 cottages back to back

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2014, 00:17:47 »
Yeah that may be the way to go then with a 5GHz WiFi card. Everything else that requires wireless is just through a plasterboard wall anyway in any direction. The main PC will be upstairs directly through the wooden flooring with the router below this. No harm in trying.

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2014, 00:18:13 »
same as me -

5Ghz is a higher frequency so carrys data faster, but as its higher it atttenuates more meaning it struggles through walls etc and travels less distance.

2.4Ghz is a lower frequency so carrys data slower in comparison and further in distance.

not by massive deals.

for e.g. my 2.4Ghz network is about -40dBm
and my 5Ghz Network is about -50 dBm

so data can travel on the "faster radio waves" (5Ghz) but as the waves are "thinner" (but twice as many) they struggle with walls etc in comparison to 2.4ghz

I always use 5Ghz on my PC (getting 200-300Mbps) and 2.4Ghz on all other devices, its 2 radios in the router so the data will be transmitted faster to my pc (providing its not next door lol)

as long as your connection speed is faster than your BB speed... my 5Ghz drops to 60-100mps until i start usinf it then it ramps up to 270Mps-300Mbps

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2014, 00:21:47 »
same as me -

5Ghz is a higher frequency so carrys data faster, but as its higher it atttenuates more meaning it struggles through walls etc and travels less distance.

2.4Ghz is a lower frequency so carrys data slower in comparison and further in distance.

not by massive deals.

for e.g. my 2.4Ghz network is about -40dBm
and my 5Ghz Network is about -50 dBm

so data can travel on the "faster radio waves" (5Ghz) but as the waves are "thinner" (but twice as many) they struggle with walls etc in comparison to 2.4ghz

I always use 5Ghz on my PC (getting 200-300Mbps) and 2.4Ghz on all other devices, its 2 radios in the router so the data will be transmitted faster to my pc (providing its not next door lol)

Sounds good that Snadge. Any recommended wireless cards for the PC? I would probably get a fitted one rather than a USB device.

I'm now considering, Once settled in the house to start networking each room with a network switch in the hall cupboard.

snadge

« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2014, 00:34:32 »
exactly what i did and cost less than 10

i bought a PCIEx1 x3 antenna card for 3 on ebay and bought an Intel 4965AGN for 5.95 which had 3 ports on it (for antenna) so connected em together and popped into PCI-E port (any one spare), got the driver from intel website and that was that.

this is mine:
http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm

to be friendly to neighbouring 2.4Ghz spectrums it will use only 20Mhz mode meaning 150Mbps max, but the 5Ghz has full 40Mhz mode capability which means 300MBps

there are proberly better ones out etc but DO look on ebay for a 3 way dapater (i only need 2 cos you only get 75Mbps per antenna in 20Mhz mode and 150 per antenna in 40Mhz mode - i just hope my 3rd gives me more range hehe)

if you get a 3 way PCIEx1 card adapter and a 450Mbps wifi card teh you'd get 450Mbps MAX

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2014, 00:40:35 »
Thanks for that!
I was actually tempted into getting a bit of a beast such as this

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-pce-ac68-802-11ac-pci-e-adapter-review-performance-value-verdict-page-2#tr-review-summary

Probably absolutely no need for it to be honest.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2014, 00:51:21 »
I got this card (Snadge found for me) Intel centrino ultimate n 6300

Ebay item number 281533795289

I've got same router the asus with laptop and that wifi card and it's brilliant I've put in the 3rd antenna

snadge

« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2014, 00:56:29 »
yes i want it lol

ONLY if ur getting an AC router then yeah, but thier tests showed 5Ghz to be slower than 2.4Ghz -  but thats likely to be blackspots and testing environment, plus if you have the antenna on ur desktop you can move it around until you find the sweet spot...with mine i just have all 3 in different directions (which is what your meant to do) and they are hidden out of view

Tom gets 450Mbs connection speed dont you>?

3 antenna in laptop
3 antenna on asus
so connection speed should 450Mbps at close range

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2014, 00:57:34 »
Yes I do