Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lan Cables/Broadband speeds.  (Read 723 times)

Offline psychosteve

• Noobie
Lan Cables/Broadband speeds.
« on: 21 December 2014, 11:52:51 »
Advertisement
Hi

I've moved my home office out to a garden building. I've got three desktops all with different operating systems. One on XP one on Windows Vista and one on Windows 8.

None of the PC's have wireless lan cards so I've had to hard wire them into the router which is in the house. The router is wireless and runs the playstation and netflix etc. so I don't want to move it out to the garden as I will lose wireless connection in the house. I ran a lan cable from the router (indoors) to a Netgear 8 port 10/100 switch which all the computers and the printer are connected to.

I've got a fibre connection through talk talk and was getting about 32 mbps in the house. Since moving outside it's dropped down to 1mbps if I'm lucky! In fact the upload speed is now more than the download speed. It seems to be getting worse.

Is there any suggestions I can try to improve it? The garden building is on a seperate ring circuit so I can't plug in an adapters. Could it be the cable? Or the switch? Or the fact that its really cold outside most of the time?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give!

Thanks in advance...

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
Re: Lan Cables/Broadband speeds.
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2014, 13:27:51 »
my guess is that you have a faulty cable, i assume you have the one cable from the router in the house to the switch in the garden then the 3 pc's are pluged in to it, unless you have a cable run of more than  100 mtr you should not get such a big speed drop, the indicator lights on the switch are they showing the correct colour ie green 100Mbs or whatever colour yours is for full speed.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2014, 17:24:22 »
how far is it between your router and building,If its not far and through a couple of brick/stone walls I would be tempted to do away with the wired option and go wireless using either cards or dongles,but that is a personal opinion:-I got really fed up of all the wires up to kids bedrooms/loft,and besides unless you're using all PCs at same time the dongle is interchangeable,as long as you buy one that has drivers for all OS's,so you may only need one

Offline psychosteve

• Noobie
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2014, 19:41:08 »
Thanks for your messages.

I've ordered a new cable, the distance of cable run is around 50m. Line of sight from the house is about 20m

I might give the dongle thing a go too, would you recommend any? And what should I be looking for?

Cheers

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2014, 21:01:17 »
Thanks for your messages.

I've ordered a new cable, the distance of cable run is around 50m. Line of sight from the house is about 20m

I might give the dongle thing a go too, would you recommend any? And what should I be looking for?

Cheers
buy a cheep and cheerful one that supports whatever sped your router broadcasts at

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2014, 11:03:38 »
hi and welcome :)

do u have kinks in the cable as this can cause problems, or short bends in it too as it affects the noise reduction