Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: On the lookout for a new ADSL2 Modem  (Read 666 times)

Offline Polo

• Noobie
On the lookout for a new ADSL2 Modem
« on: 15 December 2014, 21:26:58 »
Advertisement
So I find myself on the lookout for a good ADSL2+ modem again after my trusty DG834GT just stopped syncing one day. Luckily I had my old Linksys WAG54GS in a drawer which is up and running again. My parent's DG834GT on the other hand appears to be dying slowly unlike mine and is needing reboots every few days to regain internet access. I do have a cheap D-Link laying around somewhere but it quite crap in comparison to the DG834GT stability wise.

What is considered a good modem these days? One that'll give decent results on a 4-5mb TT LLU line? I read a lot about the HG612 and even tried buying one unsuccessfully. Are there any better ones? I remember that Snadge likes collecting modems but I can't find any of his posts detailing them anymore.

Only interested in the modem side of their performance as I use separate routers for WiFi etc in both places.

Any advice is appreciated.

snadge

Re: On the lookout for a new ADSL2 Modem
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2014, 23:50:55 »
you could always use a router in modem mode

I recommend anything with a broadcom 6362 or 6361 chipset, ive tested all available broadcom chipsets and the 6362/6361 was the best performer, also broadcom means you can tweak the connection

my current router (Netgear DGND 3700v2) is a BCM 6362 chipset

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2014, 03:44:50 »
So I find myself on the lookout for a good ADSL2+ modem again after my trusty DG834GT just stopped syncing one day. Luckily I had my old Linksys WAG54GS in a drawer which is up and running again. My parent's DG834GT on the other hand appears to be dying slowly unlike mine and is needing reboots every few days to regain internet access. I do have a cheap D-Link laying around somewhere but it quite crap in comparison to the DG834GT stability wise.

What is considered a good modem these days? One that'll give decent results on a 4-5mb TT LLU line? I read a lot about the HG612 and even tried buying one unsuccessfully. Are there any better ones? I remember that Snadge likes collecting modems but I can't find any of his posts detailing them anymore.

Only interested in the modem side of their performance as I use separate routers for WiFi etc in both places.

Any advice is appreciated.
got an 834 gt you can  have,just pay postage

Offline Polo

• Noobie
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2014, 18:48:16 »
you could always use a router in modem mode

I recommend anything with a broadcom 6362 or 6361 chipset, ive tested all available broadcom chipsets and the 6362/6361 was the best performer, also broadcom means you can tweak the connection

my current router (Netgear DGND 3700v2) is a BCM 6362 chipset
Cheers, Snadge. Any idea on your DSLAM vendor and whether it makes much difference? I'm wondering if it's worth going down the safe Broadcom route or whether I should see if I can match the DSLAM (can't actually telnet into my parents one to check right now but I assume it's Infineon).

got an 834 gt you can  have,just pay postage
Might take you up on that offer depending on what my poking around the net brings. Thanks for the offer.

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2014, 19:09:47 »
they say its best to match them up but its not necessarily true in all situations, I would say its true if your having connection problems.

im connected to Broadcom MSAN but ive also had a high connection speed with a TREND chipset before