Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BT and Telefonica in 'preliminary' talks over O2 sale  (Read 577 times)

Offline Jay9

• Full-Time Member
BT and Telefonica in 'preliminary' talks over O2 sale
« on: 24 November 2014, 13:18:08 »
Advertisement

Telecoms giant BT is in talks with Telefonica about buying the O2 mobile network from the Spanish firm.

"All discussions are at a highly preliminary stage and there can be no certainty that any transaction will occur," said BT.

In 2002, BT spun off O2, then called BT Cellnet. In 2005 it was acquired by Spain's Telefonica for 17.7bn.

BT said it had also been approached by another network about buying its UK arm.

Unconfirmed reports have said these secondary discussions are with UK mobile operator EE.

In late morning UK trade, BT's shares were up by 10.60p, or 2.79%, at 390.60 pence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30178199

Gavin Patterson, the chief executive of BT, is eyeing two big market developments in mobile over the next two years which he wants his business to lead.

Cheaper mobile delivery via BT's 5 million wifi hotspots and "quad play" - where a provider offers customers television, broadband, landline and mobile all in one package.

BT could offer these in partnership with a mobile operator - as it does at present with EE.

Or, as is now becoming clear, buy a mobile company outright and deliver the service direct. That could allow it to make more from its investment in high-speed fibre optic broadband and offer better prices to customers.

The fact that BT is now also a major player in content, spending 1.6bn buying up sports rights to Premier League and Champions League football for example, makes such a move even more attractive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30174948

Offline westernatlas772

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
Re: BT and Telefonica in 'preliminary' talks over O2 sale
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2014, 21:48:19 »
How long before the small players start squealing unfair competition  ?? 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2014, 22:10:55 »
I dunno, but I know a lot of people who over the decades have worked for BT, my partner is one of them, and they all paint a very poor picture of the company, top heavy with managers....they use the Manpower agency for staff so they have no responsibilities towards employees, they welcome staff aboard when the sailing is calm.....then when theres a wiff of a storm throw them overboard.   If its a company thats gonna be run by BT I will be avoiding like the plague, I dont like the way they deal with customers (Watchdog last week BBC1), disgraceful that customers have to highlight their problems on a national tv network to hold BTs feet to the fire over its national connectivity declaration. At least they have not lied about their profits to claim management bonuses and free market coercion like Tesco did.

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2014, 20:22:22 »
How long before the small players start squealing unfair competition  ??
are there any small players?