Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10?  (Read 675 times)

Offline westernatlas772

10?
« on: 06 November 2014, 21:50:41 »
Advertisement
Ive heard and read a lot of reasons why Microsoft missed out calling its latest operating system 9 and going straight to ten, the most popular reason I have seen is that its cos there are already two OS beginning with 9....95 and 98, and calling yet another starting with 9 would only confuse things......  whats your take on it all?

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Re: 10?
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2014, 00:11:23 »
Hi W/A
I Personally take little interest in M.S's  until they are at least 18 months old ,
happy to say I missed Vista , but way back I did buy M.E,  :(
at the moment I am playing  with 7 , but  mostly running XP pro , ( still getting the security updates  ;) )   
and to honest cant be assed to move on ,  I work on the old maxim  "if it aint broke why fix it "
Maybe Microsoft should start calling their o/s's after the release year , 10 = 2015
it worked for the car  industries  latest plate syndrome  :D

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2014, 11:05:33 »
isn't the way it works more important than what its called?I don't give a toss what they call anything as long as what I buy works well and is not going to break

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2014, 13:22:21 »
the reason behind jumping straight to 10 is because lots of software have to detect which version of windows your running before installing for obvious reasons.. as there is Windows 95, 98 and 98SE a lot of software coders set their programs to detect them as so: "IF WINDOWS =9x" meaning any version that starts with "9" then apply a ruleset which will probably be a non-install as your OS is "too old" - this has come from Win10 devs on Win forums

- its also been suggested this gives them the opportunity to distance themselves further from "8" which was a massive failure...lol

I have 10 running in VMware and its tasty...regarding looks its like a marriage between Linux and Windows 7/8, nice and square, pointy and flat - I still wouldnt purchase the OS until at least 6 months after its release to allow for fixes

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2014, 16:45:58 »
the reason behind jumping straight to 10 is because lots of software have to detect which version of windows your running before installing for obvious reasons.. as there is Windows 95, 98 and 98SE a lot of software coders set their programs to detect them as so: "IF WINDOWS =9x" meaning any version that starts with "9" then apply a ruleset which will probably be a non-install as your OS is "too old" - this has come from Win10 devs on Win forums

- its also been suggested this gives them the opportunity to distance themselves further from "8" which was a massive failure...lol

I have 10 running in VMware and its tasty...regarding looks its like a marriage between Linux and Windows 7/8, nice and square, pointy and flat - I still wouldnt purchase the OS until at least 6 months after its release to allow for fixes
because software detects which version of windows it is doesn't make it have to have a specific name to us,software doesn't recognise the OS in the same way humans do,the naming it as win 7 win 8 etc is only a human friendly way of naming the product