Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Be warned Sky and BBC, a storm is coming  (Read 744 times)

Offline Jay9

• Full-Time Member
Be warned Sky and BBC, a storm is coming
« on: 25 October 2014, 12:04:14 »
Advertisement

In an age of a la carte, unbundled TV, the licence fee is becoming ever harder to justify

"Bundling” the practice of aggregating different things together and then selling them as a single package is one of the oldest conundrums in business. Do you stand to make more money by selling lots of things together, or by selling them individually?

One industry belatedly grappling with this dilemma is US television. In response to the runaway success of Netflix (Xetra: 552484 - news) , both CBS and HBO, two of the founding fathers of modern TV, have this month announced plans for live, subscription-based streaming of their services. This will allow viewers to access thousands of programmes, current and past, on demand. These are American versions, if you like, of the BBC iPlayer, only you pay for them.

It’s called “a la carte” TV, and it is meant to cater for the growing ranks of “cord nevers” those who have never paid for a standard television subscription and “cord cutters” those who are fed up with the traditional gatekeepers of aggregated TV, and just want to choose their own viewing according to personal tastes. Rather than getting a whole panoply of stuff, much of which you might not want, these new services go some way to allowing viewers to get exactly what they want, any time, any place.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/warned-sky-bbc-storm-coming-200343669.html

steve195527

Re: Be warned Sky and BBC, a storm is coming
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2014, 16:31:54 »
I must be odd:-I don't mind paying the licence fee and having the BBC as it is now,prefer that to not paying one and everything being run just for profit without a care for public service broadcasting

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2014, 18:41:35 »
Its not so much that i mind paying the licence fee, its the idiot presenters that are paid ridiculous wages out of our licence fee that i object to.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2014, 22:11:58 »
I agree,but the stupid wages can be laid at the door of sky,the bbc now have to pay wages comparable to them or get really crap presenters sky are also partly responsible  for the ridicules wages paid to footballers because of how much they are willing to pay for broadcast rights

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2014, 00:29:13 »
steve, you mean the same people that are happy to pay these prices?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11163183/Arsenal-charging-fans-far-more-for-season-tickets-than-Barcelona-and-Bayern-Munich.html

thethinwhiteduke • 10 days ago
Tickets are worth what people are prepared to pay.

Whether it be Arsenal or Andover or even Accrington Stanley.

Same with pretty much everything in this world.

People may not like it but that's the way it is.
2  • Reply•Share ›
steelwheelsandflattyres  thethinwhiteduke • 10 days ago
That's why tv audiences are mainly people like you.
1  • Reply•Share ›
thethinwhiteduke  steelwheelsandflattyres • 10 days ago
"People like me"?

You really have no idea at all.

Hilarious.
Originally known as Quasimoto

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2014, 00:37:38 »
to be honest I think there is something badly wrong in the world,we seem to value dick heads(footballers,celebrities, idiot pop stars even chefs etc) higher than the likes of heart /brain surgeons or other folk who actually do things that are really important for the human race,I know who I would rather get paid the big money!