Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just a teaser ?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Just a teaser ?
« on: 11 October 2014, 23:34:31 »
Advertisement
This old Win XP pro lover (still getting security updates )  ;)
Has been given a win 7 home premium,Dell; , 
Having only had time for 1 hour with it so far ,
And never a O/s without the o/s disk ( going back to to win 95 ,)
Got the 7 running fine ,
But strangely it wont connect to the internet ,   well it does back ground auto updates,
I was watching the router lights flashing and on shut down I get 16 + microsoft
updates being installed , donít disconnect the power ,
I am now Administrator , but note the computer had both Mcaffe and Norton installed Long expired and now removed,

I figure I have 2 options , does the dell have a factory restore partition ?
(havenít had time to check)

Or I have from Microsoft  a win 7 prem  oem downloaded disk ,and the drivers from dell and start again ,
To be honest if all this fails  I  will be on Xp to 2019 with itís patch 2nd Tuesdays security updates till then, it could be a race to who fails first  :D
ďI am not a numberĒ or a geek
Running xp doesn't bother me , I could get cloned ?  , bring it on , they will inherit my over draught and family ,  :D
 naked pics ?  I never saw the cloud as being secure maybe I should post some
and shut down the  ? ternet  ? ,
Win 9 is now win 10  ? think they should called it Millennium.Edition 14    lol:1

steve195527

Re: Just a teaser ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 08:10:36 »
This old Win XP pro lover (still getting security updates )  ;)
Has been given a win 7 home premium,Dell; , 
Having only had time for 1 hour with it so far ,
And never a O/s without the o/s disk ( going back to to win 95 ,)
Got the 7 running fine ,
But strangely it wont connect to the internet ,   well it does back ground auto updates,
I was watching the router lights flashing and on shut down I get 16 + microsoft
updates being installed , donít disconnect the power ,
I am now Administrator , but note the computer had both Mcaffe and Norton installed Long expired and now removed,

I figure I have 2 options , does the dell have a factory restore partition ?
(havenít had time to check)

Or I have from Microsoft  a win 7 prem  oem downloaded disk ,and the drivers from dell and start again ,
To be honest if all this fails  I  will be on Xp to 2019 with itís patch 2nd Tuesdays security updates till then, it could be a race to who fails first  :D
ďI am not a numberĒ or a geek
Running xp doesn't bother me , I could get cloned ?  , bring it on , they will inherit my over draught and family ,  :D
 naked pics ?  I never saw the cloud as being secure maybe I should post some
and shut down the  ? ternet  ? ,
Win 9 is now win 10  ? think they should called it Millennium.Edition 14    lol:1
on dells if you hit the F8 button on boot it usually takes you to the advanced boot options and not into bios,one of those should be to repair your PC(restore to factory conditions)failing that what version of 7 have you got installed,I can prob give you a disc for it which you can use as long as you have the hologram with product code on it stuck to tower

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 20:57:15 »
Thanks Steve  for your help , indeed it has the M/s code on it ,
also checked it with a key finder ,
I will give the F8 a try , soon as I get a chance ,  will be kitting out the small spare bedroom as a hobby/computer room , at the moment the Dell is on the kitchen worktop   >:( ,

My main computer ( this one ) running Xp pro , is sitting on a cabinet in the other spare bedroom , I do have 7 pro disk for it , ran it for a day or so , and went back to Xp ,
as I needed it prior to the house move ,
my plan is now to run the Dell on  7 ,  then switch to 7 on both when I get time ,
( this winter ? ) soon as my near derelict new to me house's DIY make over is completed , so far I am 3 months behind my self imposed schedule  :(
and it needs to be completed  before winter sets in ,
BTW, I got a generic oem 7 downloaded from m/s, made to disk ,
the 7  on the dell is Win 7 home premium , and have the driver set from dell ,

so my "just a teaser heading" is just a future project , no doubt I will be back saying help /how do you etc ,or indeed thanks Steve for the offer of a 7 disk , I might be back on that ,
unfortunately buying an O/s , computers and time  is   very low on my agenda at the moment , :( or should I have said my bank managers agenda )

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 21:23:57 »
Thanks Steve  for your help , indeed it has the M/s code on it ,
also checked it with a key finder ,
I will give the F8 a try , soon as I get a chance ,  will be kitting out the small spare bedroom as a hobby/computer room , at the moment the Dell is on the kitchen worktop   >:( ,

My main computer ( this one ) running Xp pro , is sitting on a cabinet in the other spare bedroom , I do have 7 pro disk for it , ran it for a day or so , and went back to Xp ,
as I needed it prior to the house move ,
my plan is now to run the Dell on  7 ,  then switch to 7 on both when I get time ,
( this winter ? ) soon as my near derelict new to me house's DIY make over is completed , so far I am 3 months behind my self imposed schedule  :(
and it needs to be completed  before winter sets in ,
BTW, I got a generic oem 7 downloaded from m/s, made to disk ,
the 7  on the dell is Win 7 home premium , and have the driver set from dell ,

so my "just a teaser heading" is just a future project , no doubt I will be back saying help /how do you etc ,or indeed thanks Steve for the offer of a 7 disk , I might be back on that ,
unfortunately buying an O/s , computers and time  is   very low on my agenda at the moment , :( or should I have said my bank managers agenda )
you don't have to buy it you can have it lol

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2014, 22:11:16 »
Thanks Steve , for your generous offer , much appreciated ,being now a  pensioner
all help is appreciated , my only connection with digital logic  was back in the 80's at Stuttgart uni , and boolean logic , and that did my head in ,
sponsored   by Elsevier Holland, these day  I only view young girls on line as I wish I was 40 years younger , lol:1,
same goes for the Microsoft latest ( must have the latest O/S or your doomed  ,why ? ,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2014, 22:01:21 »
Thanks  done the factory reset , ( F8 )
jeez how much bloatware could Dell install originally ?.
along side micosofts 7 updates ,spent most of a very wet day looking at a screen saying dont switch off or unplug important updates, are being downloaded/configured etc ,
end of the day I am administrator,and the H/D is 60Gb lighter
Win 7 ?, I am still not impressed ,
it  reminds me of a warthog ,only his mother could love,

so win 9 ( is going to be Win 10 to save confusion  lol:1 )
from that I guess there won't be  a Win millennium edition in year 3k  :)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2014, 22:05:12 »
just a update on my amazing o/s upgrade ,xp pro - 7 home prem ,
only because the dell 7 was a freebie , I know I have said in the past a computer is just a tool , ( still view it that way , Jeez I am still using quality spanners I had in my apprenticeship days ),  but don't blame me for the loss of the Titanic  ::)
Thanks Steve  the F8 factory reset worked out , and now I got the bloatware off ,
just managed to import T/Bird & F.Fox settings etc ,

7 v XP  , still got an open mind , performance testing shows clearly the Xp computer is 35% faster ,
but that I guess is down to Spec .
Home built xp box = 3.4ghz 4 core  ,32 bit , 2gb ddr 2 ram
Dell 7 prem =2.4 ghz 2 core   64 bit ,2 gb  ddr 3 ram
both have std hard drives ,both boot within seconds of each other ,
my end  game plan was to build  a new computer this winter,
but as I have a 32/64 bit 7 disk, now it is to reinstall it on my 4 year old home built.
and when ready do the change over ,
I only got this far due to the wet weather stopping me working outside ,
that's another story , and just might make TV house makeover   :o,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2014, 21:23:23 »
 think I should have made the header "some mothers do have them" )
the old (2 year win 7 Dell ) is up and running due to a factory rest , ( thanks Steve )
( using it now ) after removing all it's Dell bloatware  the performance tests are closing the gap between my home built 4 year old Xp pro m/c ,
still cant believe the 7's  running processes or why they are needed ?  ,
so I guess Win 23 will be out ( code name bogged down ? ) before I move my old faithful ,from my love of embedded ( still getting the security  updates  ;) XP pro  to 7 Pro , lol:1