Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK cable broadband internet speeds 'faster than fibre'  (Read 884 times)

Offline Jay9

• Full-Time Member
UK cable broadband internet speeds 'faster than fibre'
« on: 03 October 2014, 22:40:36 »
Advertisement

Internet connections in cable broadband homes are faster on average than those using fibre, Ofcom research suggests.

Average cable speeds were measured at 43.3 megabits per second (Mbps), compared with 42 Mbps for fibre.

This was partly because many cable customers had upgraded to a faster service, the regulator said.

The most common type of broadband ran at 7.4 Mbps, however, and Ofcom found a big difference remained in the average speeds in cities and rural areas.

But it said the difference was narrowing - in rural areas, average speeds were now about 13.6 Mbps, compared with 22.9 Mbps in suburban areas and 33.4 Mbps in cities.

In Ofcom's nomenclature "cable" means ISP Virgin Media and "fibre" refers to the other big domestic ISPs it samples when drawing up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29475570

steve195527

Re: UK cable broadband internet speeds 'faster than fibre'
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2014, 00:53:51 »
I thought virgin cable was fibre?

Offline KRW

« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2014, 07:52:37 »
It is cable is fibre but is cable when Virgin and FTTP when its BT. Some of Virgin is fibre to their "cabinet" then copper to the premise.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2014, 10:04:44 »
ALL of virgin is copper too the premises... Fibre to the node, they literally get the fibre in a bit closer than BT and use a higher grade co-axial copper cable from the node to the customers property - please read our guides for more :)

the above says:

In Ofcom's nomenclature "cable" means ISP Virgin Media and "fibre" refers to the other big domestic ISPs it samples when drawing up

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2014, 11:51:36 »
ALL of virgin is copper too the premises... Fibre to the node, they literally get the fibre in a bit closer than BT and use a higher grade co-axial copper cable from the node to the customers property - please read our guides for more :)

the above says:

isn't their "node" on the outside of the properties?thought the only coax in their system ran from that box to router,or modem if you still have the 2 box arrangement

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2014, 12:12:48 »
Virgin nodes are the smaller green cabinets you see dotted around INSIDE housing estates and usually quite a few in number, whereas BT cabs are mostly on the entrance of estates 1 in number, if the estate is big then they may have one or two dotted around also - but in general Virgin have more meaning they can get the fibre closer to most homes.

in my estate there are loads of Virgin cabs dotted around with just 2 BT cabs, also at the entrance is 2 large and 1 small Virgin cabs all sitting together (which is probably the hub for this area) - their copper setup is superior to BT's and has shielding & thicker copper (co-axial) which means they can get much faster speeds over the same length of BT copper, combined with both facts means they can deliver superfast speeds in comparison, but they generally over-subscribe and under-provide in as much as 65% of areas (according ofcom 65% users arent getting the claimed speed with Virgin)

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2014, 12:16:07 »

the above says:

Any idea if many American homes has fibre to the house? I vaguely remember some American friends back in the early 2000s saying something like, some has coaxial to the house…
Originally known as Quasimoto

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2014, 12:19:12 »

the above says:

Any idea if many American homes has fibre to the house? I vaguely remember some American friends back in the early 2000s saying something like, some has coaxial to the house…

I think Americans are pretty much the same for the most part - living in citys may provide FTTP

steve195527

« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2014, 12:30:31 »
I must be thinking of a different system,I thought historically the virgin network was originally nynex/cable and wireless/ntl?when they dug up our town (not where I live unfortunately) we were informed the system being installed was a cable/fibre system that used fibre optic cable to the box on the wall of the houses in the areas they were doing?thought virgin aquired this network through buyouts etc? unless of course they were telling us porkys about how modern the system was,it was yrs ago!

snadge

« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2014, 13:07:40 »
'slight of tongue' - remember the adverts (that weren't pulled either - or were they!?) when Samuel L. Jackson was saying "bringing Fibre Optics into your home!" when in reality they were not quite telling the truth and a large amount of VM customers still believe they are getting fibre right into their home..

i forgot too mention they also have RF power amplifiers along the copper path, so its a 3 way system thats better than BT system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial

The fiber optic network extends from the cable operators' master headend, sometimes to regional headends, and out to a neighborhood's hubsite, and finally to a coaxial cable node which serves anywhere from 25 to 2000 homes

steve195527

« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2014, 13:20:35 »
never took too much notice to be honest as we were never going to be in one of their cable areas,we were told that from the start,they seemed to be digging up nearer the centre of our town,poss aiming for business customers as well,I live out in the sticks a bit

snadge

« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2014, 19:27:56 »
yeah

1. Shorter copper connections than BT's
2. Better quality/thicker copper wiring with shielding (Co-Axial)
3. Power amplifiers en-route between the customer and the cab

thats how they get 152Mbps down and 15Mbps up on broadband, On-Demand (does not use your broadband speed!) and enough HD TV to feed 3 tuners down the line, your talking 200-300Mbps worth of bandwidth if you were:

1) downloading a large file at full speed whilst...
2) watching HD on demand whilst...
3) recording 3 HD channels all at the same time whilst...
4) uploading a large file too the internet (but not using 100% of the available upload bandwidth as ACK requests for the 152Mbps download would not get through....say 10Mbps still though)

yep thats a lot of data....its no wonder they have issues with congestion lol