Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thirsty sod  (Read 637 times)

Offline westernatlas772

Thirsty sod
« on: 26 September 2014, 18:43:08 »
Advertisement
I have a Cannon MP540 printer, its 5 years old, it stands switched off for weeks at a time, then whenever I want to print something off, most of the ink has gone, I changed the Blue 4 weeks ago and then printed 3 pages, today I went to print a page off and its empty along with the yellow and the red and needs changing. I have checked inside and there is no pooling or wet overflow sponge, I seem to be buying more ink cartridges than I am printing sheets of paper!!!I have read that everytime you turn your printer on, it uses a lot of ink as it uses the ink to clean the heads, but surely not a whole cartridge, Im amazed how much is dissapearing.    Does anyone here have any similar experience or solutions....maybe its the cheapo ink Ive been getting online, maybe the expensive Canon ink will evaporate away slower, what do you think.   Cheers

snadge

Re: Thirsty sod
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2014, 19:17:27 »
s'funny cos in January I bought XL size cartridges recycled online which said 500 pages Black and 500 pages coloured (rough estimate) - now 9 months down the line after about 30-50 prints (mostly B&W text) the color on it is starting to go all fading and when I run maintenance its still streaky... ad I don't want to re-run maintenance over and over (using ink) until the streaks and poor colour stop

I wonder if it is anything to do with cheaper recycled cartridges and/or the ink drying up on the inside of the cartridge casing leaving less 'wet' ink to use.

thing is the cheapo XL for mine are just 19 for both colour and black together, the official Lexmark ones for mine are like 70....ouch! couldn't afford to try it... think i would rather stick with the cheapo's (in my case)

its worth noting when printing a document to go into your printer preferences and choose B&W only if it is a text document only as it will and can use colour to mix into black - also check the default quality of your prints are medium and not high/photo as this will use more ink.

Offline thar

« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2014, 21:44:12 »
I have read that everytime you turn your printer on, it uses a lot of ink as it uses the ink to clean the heads, but surely not a whole cartridge...

I have an Epsom. If you power it down after use, it charges the ink the next time you power it up and this can use a fair amount of ink. Fortunately it has a sleep function which i use, so it just starts to print without having to charge the ink.

I must admit, i always use genuine carts.

Yours does sound a bit thirsty though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2014, 22:45:29 »
I too use sleep mode and still have my issue

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2014, 20:58:39 »
I see there are refill kits available on eBay, you refill with syringes, are they any good, does anyone here have any experience with them?

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2014, 09:26:41 »
From personal experance don't bother, can be very messy, often the printer won't recognise the carts after refilling ended up throwing the whole lot in the bin.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.