Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Norton Security 2015 now available  (Read 3884 times)

snadge

Norton Security 2015 now available
« on: 23 September 2014, 20:38:40 »
Advertisement

Symantec has announced the first full release of Norton Security ($79.99) and Norton Security with Backup ($89.99), its one-stop replacement for Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.

The most obvious change is the revamped interface. It’s recognisably Norton – if greener than usual – with its many functions neatly organised under Security, Identity, Backup and Performance tabs.

Most of the other tweaks and additions are under the hood, with a new anti-malware engine, smarter cloud integration, data leak protection and “more aggressive threat detection heuristics”, apparently. (If you’re used to Norton flagging up every brand new utility you download then that may not sound like good news, but we’ll wait and see.)

Norton Security with Backup also adds an online backup service with 25GB of free space. More is available – at extra cost – if you need it.

The interface has been rearranged, but you’ll figure it out in seconds

Both products protect up to 5 devices, and support Windows XP+, current and the previous two versions of Mac OS X, iOS 6 or later and Android 2.3+ (Google Play must be available).

Symantec says that, as a result of the new releases, Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 have started their “end of life”. They’ll continue to be maintained as normal for the remainder of all current subscriptions.

What current Norton users don’t get, unfortunately, is any guaranteed upgrade path. This official forum post states that “NIS/N360/NAV activation keys are not able to be used in your Norton Security or Norton Security with Backup products” and advises customers to “continue using their NIS/NAV/N360 products until the end of their subscriptions”, then subscribe to one of the new products.

Oddly, the same post also suggests that if you want to upgrade now, without losing subscription time for your existing products, then you should contact support via Chat “to find the best option available”. Perhaps there is hope, after all.

If you’d like to try the new technology before you buy, 30-day trials of Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup are available now.

http://www.softwarecrew.com/2014/09/norton-security-2015-now-available/

steve195527

Re: Norton Security 2015 now available
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2014, 17:45:07 »
trying it at mo

snadge

« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2014, 20:40:40 »
trying it at mo

any good and can you back up locally too?

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2014, 21:37:10 »
trying it at mo

any good and can you back up locally too?
its very light on the system,as though no product installed,not trying one with back up

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2014, 23:03:13 »
ive got it running now with 366 days, i went to Norton Learning Hub, watched a 3 minute video and answered 5 questions and got a free key for Norton Security with Backup (can be used on 10 devices including android/iOS) - I just disable the disk optimization & backup

you can backup locally but choosing C:\ just backs up everything except programs and windows folders...its more a "file" backup than a recovery system

by default Special Offer Notification is on...im guessing thats "pop ups of offers..." bit crappy of a paid product but glad it can be turned off

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2014, 23:47:03 »
ive got it running now with 366 days, i went to Norton Learning Hub, watched a 3 minute video and answered 5 questions and got a free key for Norton Security with Backup (can be used on 10 devices including android/iOS) - I just disable the disk optimization & backup

you can backup locally but choosing C:\ just backs up everything except programs and windows folders...its more a "file" backup than a recovery system

by default Special Offer Notification is on...im guessing thats "pop ups of offers..." bit crappy of a paid product but glad it can be turned off
one of perks of working for a software retailer,the learning hub is only open to those in the trade isn't it?

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2014, 08:33:25 »

one of perks of working for a software retailer,the learning hub is only open to those in the trade isn't it?

you may be right...I cant remember but think it might only be open to retail staff, cant you sign up?

they use whats called NFR codes (Not For Resale) - ive currently got Norton Mobile and Norton Utilities to use

Iam also on the Intel Edge Retail program for which you get certificates when pass each stage....quite a lot of training on that one...   AMD? nothing!

steve195527

« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2014, 10:09:32 »
no,it is for retail professionals etc
paid for mine,managed to get a 50% discount on it

snadge

« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2014, 08:53:40 »
so far so good....nice and light :)

steve195527

« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2014, 10:30:35 »
Its like having no security on at all

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2014, 17:51:40 »
Its like having no security on at all

i struggle to find anything too slow my beast down  :D :D
no but its in the tray instantly (which I'd expected with 2 SSDs in RAID and a Core-i5 @ 3.7Ghz)

snadge

« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2014, 23:32:42 »

steve195527

« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2014, 00:02:55 »
detection rates low?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4BYp5hO_o
by scanning?not really relevent,this is the kind of old fashioned  tests norton have been saying aren't relevent to real everyday usage for the past couple of years,if you try and run the files you get a different result

Norton Security Beta 2015 review

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2014, 09:11:02 »
detection at execution is the absolute last resort though because if it doesnt get it then, then you have an infected PC...would be nice if it can find stuff on scans otherwise whats the point of having scanning options, also norton scans once per day?

I still like it, just a bit disappointed at their results thats all - AV-Test says 99% then 100% from 17,000 samples - BUT - they are the 17,000 samples of the most widespread malware that have come to fruition in the last 4 weeks...so I think most AV's should score well there (if they are common)... a bit like VB17,000 lol - (still its good to have a few different "paintings" to look at...)

as you can see they do score well:

sorted in order of protection scores:

steve195527

« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2014, 09:39:58 »
scanning doesn't use all,in fact hardy any,of the techniques that norton use to protect a pc,which in everyday use is irrelevant,its a bit like saying all compressed files should be scanned,a file that isn't active is harmless,they do give an 100% virus free guarantee with the new product,you can't get better than that
how many infected PCs do you see running up to date Norton,not talking PUPs as  one persons PUP may be another persons chosen app,I do wish Norton was more aggressive on those though but leave the end user the choice what to do with em!
Kaspersky has come out with same opinion on scanning tests as norton,although they are still designing products to be good at scans,he said they are more or less worthless in regard to real world protection,bit odd in a way that he should say that given the results kaspersky posts!

snadge

« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2014, 10:39:13 »
scanning doesn't use all,in fact hardy any,of the techniques that norton use to protect a pc,which in everyday use is irrelevant,its a bit like saying all compressed files should be scanned,a file that isn't active is harmless,they do give an 100% virus free guarantee with the new product,you can't get better than that
how many infected PCs do you see running up to date Norton,not talking PUPs as  one persons PUP may be another persons chosen app,I do wish Norton was more aggressive on those though but leave the end user the choice what to do with em!
Kaspersky has come out with same opinion on scanning tests as norton,although they are still designing products to be good at scans,he said they are more or less worthless in regard to real world protection,bit odd in a way that he should say that given the results kaspersky posts!

i think thats all in reference to meaning firewalls, hips, browser protection, parental control, cloud etc when they (norton) think people are pitting their reputation against detection rates only... Norton (and all AVs) should be finding the viruses before they are run, not when they are executed (which is the very last chance), otherwise why bother with the 3 quick scans its doing on my PC everyday? or have scan options at all if thats the case...

in my humble opinion: in most cases if it doesn't see it dormant then its got less chance of detection upon execution

a few vendors have this "Virus-Free" guarantee....even Comodo have a £500 guarantee that you wont get infected or they will give you £500

steve195527

« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2014, 10:49:07 »
comodos guarantee has far more clauses in it,so seems no matter what they will never have to ever pay out,just a little bit from it:-
If your PC gets infected by a virus after Comodo Internet Security Pro 7 is properly installed and registered, our online GeekBuddy support technicians will restore your PC to working condition. If we cannot restore your PC due to a virus infection, Comodo will cover up to $500 in repair costs, using an authorized repair center.
And to be honest as long as a product detects threats I don't care if it's when they are passive,you got to be really stupid to download those anyway!)or active,driveby etc as long as it does and not bothered what it uses to detect them,magic is fine by me if that's the method they choose,I tend to believe that most of,not all,the vendors do know more than us when it comes to knowing what works and what doesn't work and most know more than the testing labs,a lot of tests are run by amateurs,even av comparatives uses volunteers etc,how well are they trained?throwing a pile of files at an AV product and seeing how many are detected does not take into account how many are corrupted or will not run due to some other problem with it,all scanning looks for is certain sequences within  the file,if that bit is intact it will be flagged,even thoughother bits needed to make it a viable threat may be missing

snadge

« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2014, 19:10:18 »
well I've uninstalled Norton, rebooted and now my Outlook program takes ages to open (20 seconds on an SSD), this must be something to do with the Anti-Spam module Norton installed... it even freezes during use, Word and Excel are fine

so it seems to be corrupted by nortons uninstaller somehow....great...I can only hope I can repair it as reinstalling it will be a real faff on due too the amount of folders and accounts I have setup on it

edit: used office repair and thats sorted it...phew!

back to comodo firewall now...which...even though it is a firewall still has a real-time shield that checks every file thats run and unknown ones are uploaded too the cloud, not sure if thats what I want...i want network monitoring....not that and real-time shields checking every file thats run, its supposed to be a firewall only! - quite happy with Win Patrol Pro and a decent firewall

steve195527

« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2014, 20:25:03 »
i had  same kind of issue with KIS when I used their uninstall tool,I had to reinstall office/outlook to get it to work properly,think it must be the way both anti-spam modules embeds themselves as part of outlook