Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spiders  (Read 980 times)

Offline westernatlas772

Spiders
« on: 21 September 2014, 13:09:49 »
Advertisement
This Autumn has been dry and warm, that has lead to a rise in the number and size of spiders found in my home, my old cottage with its solid stone walls is ideal as a spider refuge as they enter and start looking for food and a mate, I dont like spiders, especially the big thick legged variety that charge across the floor like a frantic black widow, they give me the creeps and my partner despairs if I stamp on them, so far this autumn I have found some real monsters, so large that even my partner has jumped with fright at their appearance in the sink or light switch.        Last year after talking to an old lady in the woods next door, she suggested placing fresh pierced horse chestnuts around the house, in corners and blind spots, I had noticed that the spiders were appearing from upstairs, then coming down the stairs into the sitting room so I placed 2 pierced chestnuts halfway down the stairs and sure enough, the spiders would not pass them , they would stop 2 steps above the nuts and just sit there, after a hour or so they would disappear again, after that test run I placed pierced nuts in all the corners downstairs and hey presto....no spiders downstairs all winter.   After 6 months tho the nuts seem to dry out and become useless, so this weekend as I am being invaded again Im going gathering nuts for another spider free winter.   

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
Re: Spiders
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2014, 13:39:34 »
Don't care much for spiders myself, apparently the one to watch out for is the Hobo spider it looks very much like the common house spider the difference is this one doesn't run away when you try to catch it, it comes at you fangs bared, the bite can take  months to heal 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2014, 15:30:39 »
"Doesnt run away!!!!!...Comes at you fangs bared!!!....a bite can take months to heal!!!...."
Sounds like my ex wife.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2014, 15:59:25 »
"Doesnt run away!!!!!...Comes at you fangs bared!!!....a bite can take months to heal!!!...."
Sounds like my ex wife.
lol:1 lol:1
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2014, 16:07:26 »
Don't care much for spiders myself, apparently the one to watch out for is the Hobo spider it looks very much like the common house spider the difference is this one doesn't run away when you try to catch it, it comes at you fangs bared, the bite can take  months to heal
I bet the damage I would do to it would take longer to heal!

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2014, 20:48:23 »
this will cheer up you arachnophobics (is that the correct word?) among you

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-spiders-invade-uk-homes-161425148.html#Zo9qVmQ

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2014, 08:27:51 »
I bet the damage I would do to it would take longer to heal!
Especially when wearing size 10's, boots that is   lol:1

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2014, 08:33:06 »
this will cheer up you arachnophobics (is that the correct word?) among you

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-spiders-invade-uk-homes-161425148.html#Zo9qVmQ
Its not so much that i don't like spiders small ones i can handle, its the big hairy one's that i dont like  ;D 

snadge

« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2014, 19:13:57 »
we are getting wasps coming into the home 1 by 1 trying to get away from the cold and/or die off for the winter - dreading going into neighbours loft tomoz (setting up his/ours CCTV to view in his house) as he seems to have more wasps trying to get in through the old vent (as spotted by WesternAtlas772 on his previous visit to my house)

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2014, 19:45:42 »

What the hell…. You've made sleeping less comforting now.

Bird on a Wire (8/11) Movie CLIP - Roach Motel (1990) HD

we are getting wasps coming into the home 1 by 1 trying to get away from the cold and/or die off for the winter - dreading going into neighbours loft tomoz (setting up his/ours CCTV to view in his house) as he seems to have more wasps trying to get in through the old vent (as spotted by WesternAtlas772 on his previous visit to my house)

Get those fake wasp bags things that make wasps think its another nest.

http://www.scienceworld.ca/do-fake-wasp-nests-fool-wasps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waspinator-Wasp-Deterrant-Twin-Pack/dp/B0039P5J5O/
Originally known as Quasimoto

steve195527

« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2014, 21:01:55 »
you would have loved the pet shop that used to be in our town when I was a teenager:-they sold all sorts of things,I couldn't call them "pets":-big black scorpions,massive hairy tarantulas(they were quite pretty and pretty harmless really),pygmy crocodiles,various ugly lizards and some pretty big snakes
This is straight up:-I went in for some Tibs conditioning tablets for my parents cat,while waiting for the owner to come out of the back(living part of building)I was looking in a tank with no water in it,just an upside down cardboard box with a smallish hole in it,bit like a cartoon mouse hole,and a bit of a branch,while I was looking in a snake came ot of the box and reared up and spread its "hood":-it was a bloody cobra!,I asked the owner if it still had its fangs etc,he replied along the lines of "yes,folk wont buy them without them"! the local zoo(Belle Vue) had closed by then so the chances of anywhere local carrying anti venom would I have thought been very remote,I wonder what would have been the outcome if it had bitten anybody in our locality?I couldn't believe that even in the unregulated 70's the things he sold were allowed to be sold,I can remember seeing that snake like it was yesterday!

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2014, 11:35:25 »
I bought a spider trap from Ebay a few days ago, it was a sticky cardboard triangle, in the middle of the night I was woken by a noise, it turned out to be a spider in the trap, HUGE, its front 4 legs were stuck in the trap, and it was using its back 4 legs to shove the trap around the wooden floor...Yikes...so I Found a chestnut tree yesterday, loads of shiny conkers lying around it, the chestnut trees have been slow to produce their nuts or seeds if you like this year, probs due to the warm Autumnal weather, just what you don't want when bigger than usual house spiders are in your house early for the same reason.     I gathered 60 nuts yesterday  same amount as last year, pierced each one with a small screwdriver to vent,  removed all the old dried out nuts and replaced them with my new fresh batch , one in the corner of each room, bedrooms too and 2 along the top stair to stop any descending the steps, one behind eack set of drawers and cupboards, then the 10 I had left I threw around the attic. Last night was the first night no spiders were spotted, thats been the same every year, "nuts down no spiders"
                                                                                Although its an old wives tale, a lot of people including me have found it works, I read in Wiki, that amongst other things the nuts contain an insect repellant, mother natures way of stopping the seeds being eaten, the trees way of protecting its young, and I think....by placing pierced nuts, they slowly release the repellant in an odour, they seem to work right through the winter too before they dry out so If you are going to try them I recommend just one piercing to each nut.  Good luck

snadge

« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2014, 17:41:56 »
s'funny cos i just read that on facebook couple of days ago as a method to get rid of spiders hehe