Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network Sim Info  (Read 1456 times)

Offline westernatlas772

Network Sim Info
« on: 20 September 2014, 20:52:34 »
Advertisement
Hi all. I have a new unlocked phone and put a 3 sim card into it, I would have thought that the sim card would have automatically put 3s basic contact info onto the phones ( CONTACTS) so that the customer can check their ...top-up/add-ons/ credit balance/customer services/ directories/etc from the off without me having to go online to 3s website and searching there for the info I need using up Data whenever I need the info. Do you think that there is a App I need to get instant access to that info. thanks for any help.

Offline thar

Re: Network Sim Info
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2014, 20:55:55 »
No sim card loads that sort of info. If its an Android, there's an app called "Three" which will tell you what you need to know.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2014, 21:45:35 »
Thanks for that thar, yes its an android, I will search out a 3 app and see what I can find.  On the other hand, I would have thought it a good idea to put the networks contact numbers on their sim cards and I dont understand why they have not, ..for example....tomorrow I might want to go with Orange, I should be able to buy a Orange sim card....bang it in...get connected...and have their contact numbers immediately at hand  to get started...cheers

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2014, 22:35:00 »
No sim card loads that sort of info. If its an Android, there's an app called "Three" which will tell you what you need to know.

o2's used to,not sure if current ones do,the details were in part of sim you saved contacts to when you decided to save your own contacts to the sim rather than the phone memory

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2014, 22:49:45 »
Ive just downloaded the Android "three" app, and installed it, very pretty too, AND you get a free game with it, thats going to come in handy at work when Im on stand-by-duty or my manager is droning on about Health and Safety in the workplace....yawn..........trouble is, the App wont work cos it says Im not connected to a network !!!....I am, I'm connected via WIFI and I just downloaded the app via it.... Now , can anyone throw any light on that please, I have checked the "Androids that wont work with the 3 app " and my fone is NOT on the list so right now I should be looking at my network balance.    None of this is  a problem on my work fone, its an  auld Samsung youth running Gingerbread...thats cos O2, in their wisdom, put their contact numbers on their Sim card so I can look up my credit balance in a second right from the off...none of this App downloading/ installing/ failing/ asking around forums for a solution in the hope that I get a result....anyone?

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2014, 08:58:18 »
your problem has nothing to do with contact numbers being saved in sim and you can actually choose to save your contacts in the sim if you wish..just you can only save limited amount of info...99 contacts i think

3 should have a number you can dial to call up your credit

on your old one your 'dialing up o2' - on this your using an APP that requires internet access - try turning on sync and/or data but your right it should work connected too your wifi

remove Avast, its probably blocking it, I never use AV on my phone, just install VirusTotal and every time you install an app you can scan it (and all installed apps) which it checks against a database of all other antiviruses and tells you how many found this or that app to be "bad"

I use it on PC to..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virustotal&hl=en_GB

Description
VirusTotal for Android checks the applications installed in your Android phone against VirusTotal (http://www.virustotal.com). It will inform you about malware (virus, trojans, worms) on your phone and allows you to upload any unknown applications to VirusTotal. In other words, VirusTotal for Android will get your applications scanned by more than 40 antivirus, flagging any undesired content.
Please note that VirusTotal for Android does not provide real-time protection and, so, is no substitute for any antivirus product, just a second opinion regarding your apps.

steve195527

« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2014, 10:14:06 »
your problem has nothing to do with contact numbers being saved in sim and you can actually choose to save your contacts in the sim if you wish..just you can only save limited amount of info...99 contacts i think

3 should have a number you can dial to call up your credit

on your old one your 'dialing up o2' - on this your using an APP that requires internet access - try turning on sync and/or data but your right it should work connected too your wifi

remove Avast, its probably blocking it, I never use AV on my phone, just install VirusTotal and every time you install an app you can scan it (and all installed apps) which it checks against a database of all other antiviruses and tells you how many found this or that app to be "bad"

I use it on PC to..

Description
VirusTotal for Android checks the applications installed in your Android phone against VirusTotal (http://www.virustotal.com). It will inform you about malware (virus, trojans, worms) on your phone and allows you to upload any unknown applications to VirusTotal. In other words, VirusTotal for Android will get your applications scanned by more than 40 antivirus, flagging any undesired content.
Please note that VirusTotal for Android does not provide real-time protection and, so, is no substitute for any antivirus product, just a second opinion regarding your apps.
what He means is the no's you contact your network provider on,with O2 they are already pre-installed on the sim card(well they used  to be)and you don't have to look them up or install an app to contact them,you just go in contacts as soon as the sim card is in and activated and they are there for you to use

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2014, 10:20:51 »
@ Steve - I know exactly what he means  ;D

straight from google:

How can I check my balance?

Prepay customers, can check their balance any time. Three easy ways;
Using My3. On the web, just log in to My3 at https://my3account.three.ie and click ‘My Account Balance’. On your mobile, select Planet 3 (from the bookmarks page), click ‘My3’ and then ‘My Account Balance’. You can see your cash credit, free credit, 3 to 3 calls, mobile data, and purchased add ons.
Dial 1744 from your mobile and you’ll hear your current balance
Dial 1745 and your current balance will be shown on your mobile screen.

but I would still remove Avast as it seems to be the cause of problems on your phone and risk of infection is very low -  just use VirusTotal which scan all new apps with 40 Anti-Virus programs and shows you the results...free's up resources too..

steve195527

« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2014, 10:28:15 »
[quote author=westernatlas772 thats cos O2, in their wisdom, put their contact numbers on their Sim card so I can look up my credit balance in a second right from the off...none of this App downloading/ installing/ failing/ asking around forums for a solution in the hope that I get a result....anyone?
[/quote]

Offline thar

« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2014, 14:51:38 »
Some apps won't give all the information when you're connected via WiFi. Virgins's used to be like that IIRC. You had to turn WiFi off to get some information.

If the app wasn't compatible with your phone, it shouldn't have been available for you to download from the Play Store.

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2014, 21:52:20 »
Thanks for the help guys, I dont have any anti-virus installed on the fone, I have tried using the app via both  wifi and internet and both fail immediately I attempt to use it, as its three's app and three's network its not my problem....its theirs, I have knocked the ball into their court and asked three for help on the matter and am awaiting their reply, they have responded quoting a 1 to 5 day reply window...should be sorted by Friday then?

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2014, 23:14:20 »
I have looked at that link for VirusTotal Snadge, but its not free on my phone, in the meantime, I should not have been so pessimistic, Three have replied straight away, they have asked me to re-install the Three app, so I have uninstalled the Three app and reinstalled it and it now works fine, dunno why, funny old business this.   Thanks for all the help people, I appreciate it.

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2014, 23:33:15 »
Ive changed my mind about the problem being solved, I was right to be pessimistic......further investigation has uncovered a further problem, Threes app only works fully via connection using a three network, My WiFi is TalkTalk, I can now get my credit total and other basic info using WiFi, but to get further account breakdown the app is telling me to turn off my WiFi, when I do so the app gets the rest of the info over the Google browser...now thats what I will designate as a (CRAP-APP)...thats a new phrase I have just invented, and I have forwarded it to Three for their reaction.

Offline thar

« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2014, 08:26:39 »
Quite a few mobile providers apps work like that. The MyEE app I have tells you to turn WIFI off for more info but I can get most of what I need over WIFI.

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2014, 18:49:30 »
Thanks for that thar, Three have contacted me again, they are aware the App wont work fully on a non three connection, I can see my totals but I cant purchase data or credit direct via WiFi, 3 say that in the next few months they will be releasing a new app that you CAN purchase their services and they are presently working towards that goal.

snadge

« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2014, 17:39:48 »
the VirusTotal app is 100% free - can anyone else confirm this?

use this link in your web browser: (signed into google play)

you can install it from your PC on the Play Store by clicking install... then connect your phone to Wi-Fi and open the play-store on that and you should see the downloading arrow appear at the top of the screen

doesnt have any prices here?

also did you try:

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2014, 19:00:02 »
Thanks for that Snadge, I have looked again at Virustotal from google Store on my phone, and can see that once I click instal, GS is asking for  my credit/ debit card details, or PayPal details before instal, beneath all that tho is "Skip" which I have done and its gone on to install it free, or so I assume.

snadge

« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2014, 19:42:35 »
yeah it shouldn't ask again - when we setup yer phone it asks then if you want to set one up or not and I chose skip(not now) and it shouldnt ask again after that - so if it asks again on another free app then it must be unique to kit-kat in that it asks every time to try and get yer card details

also:
also did you try:

when im at home I prefer to use Play Store on the PC as it is registered to your phone and you can install from the PC - like i say on mine i have to turn on wifi and open the play store and it will start to download whatever ive installed from the PC

NOTE: with VirusTotal you will get the odd False Positive..especially when legit apps like Youtube and Google Play & Movies show as red - clicking detailed report always shows the same Anti-Virus (Trend Micro House Call) saying its sus but all other 39 say its clean...obvious FP...its only when quite a few say its dodgy you should be concerned

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2014, 22:16:11 »
hiya snadge. Yea Ive tried those numbers but there not recognised, I use three,s 444, that number gets me the credit total, as does the App so Im sorted on that thanks, I was gonna instal Avast on the fone, it comes with firewall switched off but Ive been reading on Android forum that the OS is a Lite version of Linux, and all you really need is a prog to inspect Apps before install...just like you said.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2014, 09:24:12 »
Android is based on the linux kernel so in effect it is a linux O/S  ;)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.