Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 mb  (Read 1029 times)

Offline westernatlas772

1 mb
« on: 28 August 2014, 18:54:02 »
Advertisement
Hi All, Me again. Im perfectly happy with my PAYG  deal with 3....(for now).... but, I work with Magnetrons, and my phone can get irreparably damaged in an instant due to the environment I work in, so I leave it at home and take a cheapo slave phone in to use, this means that my new super dooper " does everything but wash the dishes" phone is staying at home unused for days at a time, and I have noticed that while it is sitting idle, my online 3 account is showing that the phone is using between 1 and 1.5mb per 24hrs...Why is that ?. Thanks for any help.

Offline thar

Re: 1 mb
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2014, 19:42:18 »
Depending on how you have it set up, it may still be downloading things like emails, weather, news updates, Facebook, twitter even if idle.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2014, 22:45:07 »
AAhh right. I do get News n weather prompts, right thanks for that THAR, I appreciate your help.

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2014, 09:42:42 »
when at home it should be connected to your wifi rather than your data (Three) I dunno if Kit-Kat does this but im sure Android is supposed to use wifi first before data, if it cant connect to wi-fi (hasnt been setup with any of the wifi connections it can see) then it will use data...

also, you can go into each app via the store and set to update on wifi only...

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2014, 18:40:34 »
So does that mean that the WIFI must remain switched on when in the house sitting idle ?.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2014, 19:04:28 »
Correct, its surprising how quick one can use your allowance up if you're not careful  ;) 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2014, 20:00:37 »
This Data lark is an education...Just found out that 3 can charge you 8.50 per mb if you over run your data, thats a nice little prezzy after a week away from home on yer hols. My PAYG on 3 cuts off once data is finished, thats a nice "miser plan" plan for me, a kind of over 50s package Lol

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2014, 20:13:50 »
So does that mean that the WIFI must remain switched on when in the house sitting idle ?.

not MUST but if both are left on Android should use the wifi connection - I dunno how kit-kats changed things...hard to advise when have no experience with device or kit-kat

I would rather use free wifi at home than eat up data allowance (which is for when your out and about really)

when data is off you still receive calls n texts

also check email I sent you cos 8.50 per MB for monthly paying and only 1p per MB on your contract sounds wrong to me... there wouldnt be such a huge difference...like I say 1 per Mb is more like I reckon...

please share with us your contract so that we may find it on the Three website ;)

Offline thar

« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2014, 20:20:01 »
As i mentioned in a previous post, T Mobile charge 8 odd per MB if you go over. Scandalous!

Offline thar

« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2014, 20:37:16 »
I have my Nexus on JB set to keep WiFi on during sleep. My new phone on KK was set to never leave WiFi on during sleep. That could explain it.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2014, 20:41:29 »
when at home it should be connected to your wifi rather than your data (Three) I dunno if Kit-Kat does this but im sure Android is supposed to use wifi first before data, if it cant connect to wi-fi (hasnt been setup with any of the wifi connections it can see) then it will use data...

WiFi on all the time is painful on any battery.
Originally known as Quasimoto

snadge

« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2014, 09:41:10 »

WiFi on all the time is painful on any battery.

thats why I use juice defender ultimate - turns everything off until i :
A) use it (turn on phone and it wakes the wifi etc)
B) every set amount of hours turns on wifi. if no wifi then turns it off then turns on data and syncs my facebook/emails...stays on for 5 mins then turns em all off again... also between set time such as 10pm and 9am it wont turn them on at all

more than doubles (x2.2) my battery and phone isnt buzzing every 5 minutes with notifications...just once every few hours