Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3  (Read 1103 times)

steve195527

« on: 22 August 2014, 19:55:22 »
Advertisement
hows this for bureaucracy,took out a sim only contract with 3,it came today,my phone wouldn't auto adjust to their settings so called and got it sorted,to do that one of security questions was my date of birth,which was correct,later I tried to set some security on my account which I couldn't do because I got the message that I had entered wrong date of birth(!!)I called them again to try and find out what was going on,to do anything the operative asked me some security questions,one of which was my date of birth,they said I was giving them the wrong one and didn't match what was on the system and hence they couldn't help me unless I provided proof using driving licence or similar,with this I blew my top as it was somebody at their end who had changed the info between calls and told them I was cancelling everything,which I managed to do even without providing them the date they now had on the system,I can understand the need for security but they had all sorts of other data to prove it was me and correct things re my D.O B,glad I found out how crap the Indian support center was within my 14day period to pull out of contract!(within 4hrs!)

snadge

Re: 3
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2014, 08:56:03 »
hehe WesternAtlas has gone for a PAYG Three sim card, -  these "top up when you like" dont have contracts on them do they?

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2014, 09:56:39 »
hehe WesternAtlas has gone for a PAYG Three sim card, -  these "top up when you like" dont have contracts on them do they?
can't do can they,their name says it all "pay and go"you just pay for credit to be put on ,when its done you can put more on or move somewhere else if your phone is unlocked,giff gaff are supposed to be best value

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2014, 02:12:42 »
Yea I'm with giffgaff very good

Offline KRW

« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2014, 09:17:28 »
Yeah Giffgaff is very good, and can be problematic if using roaming as they are a MVNO "virtual"  network operator (Virgin is another) rather than being a network operator phone provider.

Virgin customers could use and have T-Mobile or Orange network locked phones with a Virgin sim card, but when the network changed to EE they found that their phones were network locked and could not use their Virgin sim in their phone.

MVNO's are cheaper as they have lower setup and very low running costs (no mast maintenance/update or engineers for instance) as they do not run the the network they use.

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2014, 15:18:50 »
YIKES.......Ive purchased a new unlocked Moto g, then went to the nearest 3 shop...(Cramlington, nr Newcastle)...for a sim card and deals check and was treated like they were doing me a favour by young male staff who seemed to be comatose,  maybe it was because Im 59 and they couldnt be bothered .....or are biased towards silver surfers I dont know but I had the impression that I was disturbing them, on Saturday, i entered Carphone Warehouse in whitley Bay in search of a charger for my new phone, I timed the two lads behind the counter, and they made me stand for 46 seconds while they chatted to young girls up before one one of them then turned their attention to me. Last week, I had a similar experience with a young salesman in Carlisles O2 shop, he repeatedly kept sniggering, and rubbing his spotty nose which put me off handing my phone to him....and he left the interview station twice while we asked him basic questions and tried to follow his technical replies, my partner (54) wasnt happy about his behaviour either so....when we left I pushed a pound coin over the table towards him and gave him directions to the nearest chemist were he could get some Acne cream.   I have picked 3 cos of their next generation HSPA system signal technology that more than makes up for coverage shorfalls ....according to the experts ....and came 2nd place in latest inde national random assessments behind EE for overall signal quality, I am  ready to open a 3 account tonight and my knees are knocking together but im gonna jump in for a month and I will let you know about my rural on the fringe exper       
                                               By the way, Ive had none of the above experiences with female staff, which is probably why their tends to be female staff at the desks generally, come on lads pick your game up.

steve195527

« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2014, 15:31:30 »
Yeah Giffgaff is very good, and can be problematic if using roaming as they are a MVNO "virtual"  network operator (Virgin is another) rather than being a network operator phone provider.

Virgin customers could use and have T-Mobile or Orange network locked phones with a Virgin sim card, but when the network changed to EE they found that their phones were network locked and could not use their Virgin sim in their phone.

MVNO's are cheaper as they have lower setup and very low running costs (no mast maintenance/update or engineers for instance) as they do not run the the network they use.
they use the O2 network according to their website

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2014, 15:42:40 »
Yea and O2 have more customers than any other UK network, they earn more revenue than any other,but they have become victims of their own success because their network is overloaded and overstretched and that causes calls and surfing drop-out, experts say there problems will be solved when they get their 4G deployed to relieve the stress fully in 1 years time

steve195527

« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2014, 15:48:38 »
Yea and O2 have more customers than any other UK network, they earn more revenue than any other,but they have become victims of their own success because their network is overloaded and overstretched and that causes calls and surfing drop-out, experts say there problems will be solved when they get their 4G deployed to relieve the stress fully in 1 years time
I am on O2 at mo and our company uses O2 for its mobiles,never had any issues like you decribe

Offline KRW

« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2014, 18:34:06 »
The problem I've got is that signal strength is not as good as was 18 month ago. They've even installed a new mast without much improvement. Or it could be my phone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2014, 18:52:03 »

I can't speak for O2 as I've never been with them but I was with Vodafone for 2 years and in all that time I was never able to get a signal in work.

When I first had a smartphone 2 years ago I didn't look into Vodafone network coverage and was stuck in a 2 year contract where the only time I wanted to go on the internet on my mobile was when I was in work. At home I would use my PC and Sky broadband wi-fi.

I am now with EE and have a brilliant signal at work and am pleased I moved to them mind you this time I did check out their network coverage before getting into another 2 year contract !