Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reinstall Win7 or use driver remover?  (Read 929 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Reinstall Win7 or use driver remover?
« on: 14 August 2014, 09:38:41 »
Advertisement
Since building a new system about a year and a half ago, I've had numerous boot loop issues. After a bit of research, I found many many threads over the internet with others having the same issue and finding out it was the Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard causing the problem.
I should have returned it when I got it but it started working. About 6 months later, Same issue and started working again. Very temperamental.
The original system consists of:

i5-2500K
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Corsair Vengance 8GB Ram

I spotted an Asus Z77-V LX2 motherboard on Ebay for 20 (new) last week so bought it for a backup.

Last night I was moving my components into a new case when the boot loop decided to kick in. This time it went on for hours with me trying everything I could think of. I had enough and decided to fit the Asus motherboard. Problem solved instantly.

I know I should really re-install windows 7 but it all seems to be working alright apart from USB 2.0 ports. All USB 3.0 seem to be fine and no errors in the device manager.

I was wondering if there is a program that can strip all drivers out so you can start from scratch i.e. Chipset, LAN, Audio, VGA etc etc.

It would save me doing the install process again? Or should I be best to just format and start from scratch for all the time it will take (Probably cause less bother in the long run)?

snadge

Re: Reinstall Win7 or use driver remover?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2014, 12:19:16 »
just download all ASUS drivers and it will/should use those...the Gigabyte ones may be redundant

but as you say you should really reinstall windows just incase as some drivers are forced to start and could cause issues - if it were me i would reinstall

I have a Gigabyte H77M-D3H (almost the same thing but with less overclocking abilities) and had no issues with boot looping  - I have had some problems lately with some programs not responding but i think thats me trying to many programs/security and using a registry cleaner (even if it was WISE and only removing the safe to remove option) - i just have wayyyy too much shat on mine and a reinstall is in the post soon I think...

go into uninstall programs...some drivers can show up in there like for me i have

Intel drivers (probs gigabytes version)
Qualcom Gigabit LAN drivers (gigabyte)

also using AUTORUNS program under the drivers section look for anything related to gigabyte and right-click and choose delete

also...this may work with some drivers...download the gigabyte installer and it may say UNINSTALL / REPAIR / REINSTALL if it already detects it...some do and some dont..

but really....one should re-install windows

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2014, 12:30:33 »
just download all ASUS drivers and it will/should use those...the Gigabyte ones may be redundant

but as you say you should really reinstall windows just incase as some drivers are forced to start and could cause issues - if it were me i would reinstall

I have a Gigabyte H77M-D3H (almost the same thing but with less overclocking abilities) and had no issues with boot looping  - I have had some problems lately with some programs not responding but i think thats me trying to many programs/security and using a registry cleaner (even if it was WISE and only removing the safe to remove option) - i just have wayyyy too much shat on mine and a reinstall is in the post soon I think...

go into uninstall programs...some drivers can show up in there like for me i have

Intel drivers (probs gigabytes version)
Qualcom Gigabit LAN drivers (gigabyte)

also using AUTORUNS program under the drivers section look for anything related to gigabyte and right-click and choose delete

also...this may work with some drivers...download the gigabyte installer and it may say UNINSTALL / REPAIR / REINSTALL if it already detects it...some do and some dont..

but really....one should re-install windows

I think you are right Snadge, Probably is miles better to install everything from scratch.
I have a 128GB SSD drive which I was intending on using for OS only and a few choice programs then install everything else to my 750GB hard drive but that seemed to have gone out the window and everything went on the SSD. This will give me a chance to clear all that stuff out and hopefully keep on top of it.

Maybe I've always had a problem board but a quick search on overclockers etc shows quite a lot of BIOS issues with Gigabyte boards. It may have been faulty from the get go but last night just done my head in. The board is set for the bin now. I'll maybe give it an inspection with a magnifying glass to see if there are any apparent issues but having spent several hours over a few months trying to figure it out, I'm quite happy that the Asus booted first time and works as expected.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2014, 13:31:13 »
Actually, After thinking about it, It's only the mouse that I am having issues with. Other stuff I am using on USB2.0 works fine such as wireless keyboard and memory sticks. Just the USB mouse which is odd. It works if I plug it into a USB 3.0 slot.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2014, 19:04:24 »
It should be enough just to download all the relevant drivers for that board, windows should then default to using them.
However the best option is always a fresh install.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2014, 21:02:08 »
It should be enough just to download all the relevant drivers for that board, windows should then default to using them.
However the best option is always a fresh install.

Just done a full install now. All good and dandy!  thankyou:1

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2014, 23:12:46 »
only real issue ive had with my board is USB problems... it now takes ages to read my 64Gb USB 3.0 stick yet computers at work dont and see it instantly... also USB3.0 ports seems to be problematic with USB 2 sticks...but I dont use it as its it the back - the front two USB ports didnt like a 4-way splitter but the back ones did no problem?

I don't use the 4 way splitter now anyway so not really an issue except for the 64Gb USB3.0 stick in USB 2 front ports (or back) taking ages to be recognised

nothing happens for about 10 seconds, then it appears as a standard drive in my computer with no name, then a few seconds later it says it needs to be formatted before use but ignore that and it appears and can be used??

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2014, 08:30:48 »
only real issue ive had with my board is USB problems... it now takes ages to read my 64Gb USB 3.0 stick yet computers at work dont and see it instantly... also USB3.0 ports seems to be problematic with USB 2 sticks...but I dont use it as its it the back - the front two USB ports didnt like a 4-way splitter but the back ones did no problem?

I don't use the 4 way splitter now anyway so not really an issue except for the 64Gb USB3.0 stick in USB 2 front ports (or back) taking ages to be recognised

nothing happens for about 10 seconds, then it appears as a standard drive in my computer with no name, then a few seconds later it says it needs to be formatted before use but ignore that and it appears and can be used??

That does sound odd that. Maybe it will sort itself out when you eventually go for a full install again. As soon as I started a fresh install the USB 2.0 ports started working so obviously a conflict somewhere.

That is me basically back to normal now. I just need to install a few programs and games and I'm done. I even remembered to stick all my programs to the other drive this time!
I spoke to overclockers where I bought the stuff from and they said to return it for replacement.  I'll just sell it on afterwards.