Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not so Smartphone  (Read 744 times)

Offline westernatlas772

Not so Smartphone
« on: 26 July 2014, 18:03:33 »
Advertisement
My sister in law, has a Samsung  smartphone, she doesnt know the model, she has had it for over a year and she bought it new, no one else has access to it, she has no children who might tamper with it, all has been fine untill last week,  now she cant read it cos its language has changed itself to what she thinks is Russian and it has started dialing out to unknown numbers without her touching it, repeater texts  have been arriving from unknown senders, the screen freezes up continuously and it trips through  webpages with a mind of its own.....her phone has become so uncontrollable that she has switched it off, cancelled the contract and put it in a bottom drawer and bought a new phone.  Does anyone here know the likely cause of her problems?

steve195527

Re: Not so Smartphone
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2014, 18:38:52 »
I think my phone is smart when it is just clean and tidy! lol:1

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2014, 20:49:08 »
Possible virus infection, O/S could have become corrupt etc.
What she should do is a hard reset of the phone, depending on the model you hold either two or three of the buttons in at start up, ie  power/volume/ menu  or whatever, not sure of the procedure if its apple though.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2014, 20:49:56 »
I think my phone is smart when it is just clean and tidy! lol:1
:)) :))
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2014, 21:28:31 »
the phone is faulty or corrupt - probably faulty - do the hard reset as Den1 suggested its usually hold the power button in and vol up together for 10 seconds & if that fail do same but with vol down button

choose a full reset of the system

Offline thar

« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2014, 19:24:05 »
I'd pull the battery out and see if the model number is listed. You can then Google how to reset that exact model.

Sounds weird though :o

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2014, 22:23:37 »
Thanks for all the help. I will try out some of your suggestions and get back to you. Cheers

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2014, 14:47:26 »
Did a full factory re-set and its been fine,  Ive been using this fone for a month now, and its a delight, very simple to use, slow online rural, but fast urban, it jumps through its hoops cleanly and fits nicely into a top pocket too due to its discreet size, I nearly cancelled my new Moto G I was so impressed. But ..once... when surfing, it displayed what I would naively call encrypted script, probably due to poor signal or processing, that's what my sister in law thought was the Russian she thought she had seen.