Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PerfectDisk Free Defrag Freeware  (Read 865 times)

snadge

PerfectDisk Free Defrag Freeware
« on: 23 July 2014, 10:43:17 »
Advertisement
didnt realise they had a freeware option - some things missing and most important is auto-optimize  BUT it does have scheduling on it and recognizes SSD's - this is easily the best defrag because you can use SMARTplacement on disks and its quite clever in how it works - I tested em all year ago and this on really sped up my PC due to SMARTplacement - especially after a few reboots my pc booted up much faster...HDD days though

http://www.mostiwant.com/blog/download-perfectdisk-free-defrag-freeware/

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Re: PerfectDisk Free Defrag Freeware
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2014, 20:50:14 »
didnt realise they had a freeware option - some things missing and most important is auto-optimize  BUT it does have scheduling on it and recognizes SSD's
I thought SSD's didn't need defragmenting ?

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2014, 08:41:33 »
didnt realise they had a freeware option - some things missing and most important is auto-optimize  BUT it does have scheduling on it and recognizes SSD's
I thought SSD's didn't need defragmenting ?
They don't, SSD's can access any location on the drive in the same time unlike conventional drives which cant, hence the need for defragging.   
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2014, 17:11:58 »
They don't, SSD's can access any location on the drive in the same time unlike conventional drives which cant, hence the need for defragging.
In that case I don't understand why the developers of PerfectDisk allow SSD's to be recognised ?

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2014, 19:15:44 »
Can't really answer that one, perhaps to get you to buy/use their software.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2014, 08:07:46 »
 I actually emailed them about it when it was 1st introduced... they say it performs other operations to prepare the drive for writing and stuff but cant remember

direct from googles top result:

PerfectDisk®, the leading fragmentation prevention and hard drive optimization software, uses its special SSD Optimize setting for solid state drives that, instead of defragmenting files, consolidates fragmented free space:

Detects solid state drive hardware (to perform the appropriate action for that type of drive)
TRIMs free space from partially full blocks of data
Identifies where the largest section of free space exists on the drive
Consolidates free space in that location, whether at the beginning, middle or end of the disk
Reduces writes to the drive, extending its life
SSD Optimize consolidates free space on your SSD to improve wear-leveling and results in more effective TRIM operations