Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changing star wiring  (Read 1437 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Changing star wiring
« on: 16 July 2014, 16:57:31 »
Advertisement
Evening all,

I have a friend with a pretty poor connection. He has had a very intermittent connection since moving into the place a few years back but thought it was due to his location out in the country side.

We have determined that he doesn't have a master socket as such, The line comes in on a drop wire through the roof to a box which then has two house extensions connected straight to that. I assume this is star wiring.

I told him about removing the usually orange wire and sent links to guides. Being a bit ambitious he snipped the orange wire in the loft which he said knocked out his phone.

Obviously he snipped the incoming line from the drop wire.

He temporarily has that snip twisted together to maintain a connection. Now this needs sorted and hopefully sort out his net at the same time.

I believe one of the extensions goes to a socket in his living room and another to the kitchen.
Would it just be a case of reconnect the incoming line to the socket in the living room and make that a master socket then connect the kitchen one to the new master socket? Job done?

Here are his stats anyway.

snadge

Re: Changing star wiring
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2014, 19:17:51 »
the best thing I would do is remove all the outgoing wiring off the box, then have have some CW1308 twisted pair wire connected to one point only...run it down the wall and install an master socket then go from there

so you have incoming line... then you would have it connected to the BT splitter box, then CW1308 cable down to a new NTE5, install a filter faceplate and run extensions from that (this will prevent the long extension wiring picking up any interference...

also ringwire is not always orange, depends on installer...its the one on terminal 3 (on NTE5) but if you use a filtered faceplate then this negates the need to remove it (but i would still just to be sure lol)

see here
http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?page=test_socket

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2014, 19:44:24 »
the best thing I would do is remove all the outgoing wiring off the box, then have have some CW1308 twisted pair wire connected to one point only...run it down the wall and install an master socket then go from there

so you have incoming line... then you would have it connected to the BT splitter box, then CW1308 cable down to a new NTE5, install a filter faceplate and run extensions from that (this will prevwnt the long extension wiring picking up any interference...

also ringwire is not always orange, depends on installer...its the one on terminal 3 (on NTE5) but if you use a filtered faceplate then this negates the need to remove it (but i would still just to be sure lol)

see here
http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/index.php?page=test_socket

That is my plan pretty much snadge. He is due to contact me tonight/tomorrow for further advice so I will get him to get some of that cable too!
I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing but just want to make sure I can provide him with all the information and parts before I go over.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2014, 08:35:42 »
Ok so I was out last night to my friends house and replaced the extension wire from the drop box to the master with Cat5e cable. We also ran a new Cat5e cable to his extension socket. Both cables had been chewed through by something  :))

Strangely though, The stats had changed from when we first looked.

Originally

Down speed: 345kbps, Noise Margin: 10.3dB, Line Attn: 41.5dB
Up Speed: 595kbps, Noise Margin: 14.2dB, Line Attn: 24.4dB

Before wiring change

Down speed: 6482kbps, Noise Margin: 14.4dB, Line Attn: 43.5dB
Up Speed: 1076kbps, Noise Margin: 5.7dB, Line Attn: 23.1dB

The stats were not bad prior to the wiring change but could not use the internet it was so slow. It would take minutes for a web page to load.

Once the wiring had been changed, The stats I now have are as follows:

Down speed: 4539kbps, Noise Margin: 7.7dB, Line Attn: 42.5dB
Up Speed: 1024kbps, Noise Margin: 5.4dB, Line Attn: 22.7dB

Screen shot of the stats here.

My concern after looking again is the amount of interleaved path FEC correction. The Brightbox had only been on approx 5 minutes. However, The internet is very usable again. We can easily browse the internet and stream videos without issue.
What do you think?

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2014, 11:57:28 »
obviously a fault has been removed, ask for dlm to be restarted or wait 5-7 days and see if it goes up a bit, around 7Mb-ish for that line is normal providing there is no 'permanent'  noise ingress (such as radio stations etc) - screenshot of SNR & bit-loading before n after may have helped - can u provide screen of snr & bl now so we can see if theres any ingress which might explain lower speeds.... could just be profiles for now

I would leave it for few days but notice the noise margin has reduced showing that some noise must have been removed, the internet is now usable...

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2014, 12:18:28 »
obviously a fault has been removed, ask for dlm to be restarted or wait 5-7 days and see if it goes up a bit, around 7Mb-ish for that line is normal providing there is no 'permanent'  noise ingress (such as radio stations etc) - screenshot of SNR & bit-loading before n after may have helped - can u provide screen of snr & bl now so we can see if theres any ingress which might explain lower speeds.... could just be profiles for now

I would leave it for few days but notice the noise margin has reduced showing that some noise must have been removed, the internet is now usable...

I'm just unsure if it would help much. There isn't a lot of room with the noise margin to allow for more? EE have stated the max on his line is 3Mb and refused to help when we did have an issue. So I don't think there will be much help when it is running. Where would I find a screen shot of SNR and bitloading?

I'm away to load up a few of my old routers with his login credentials so we can try them and see if there is any increase. I've also heard that the 2700hgv BT business router is excellent for longer lines. I'm setting up my Billion 7800DX and DG834GT to see if they give any improvement.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2014, 12:34:59 »
Starting stats:

Stats with ring wires removed and twisted together incoming wire (accidentally cut):

Stats with all cable replaced with Cat5e, New master socket and filtered faceplate.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2014, 11:17:03 »
Stats after 24hrs.

ANyone know what target SNR is for Orange on a market 1 exchange?

snadge

« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2014, 08:16:29 »
probably 6db -  ring up and get them to reset the line...

5Mb usable is better than 0.3Mb unusable

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2014, 08:51:38 »
probably 6db -  ring up and get them to reset the line...

5Mb usable is better than 0.3Mb unusable

Oh defo. He said it is by far the best he has had. I was just curious to see if we could squeeze more out of it. I'm thinking it is the crappy brightbox being part of the problem. I've setup a DG834GT for him to swap over to when he feels like it.