Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VDSL Modem Routers  (Read 13555 times)

steve195527

Re: VDSL Modem Routers
« Reply #20 on: 08 July 2014, 21:37:20 »
Advertisement
log on to hub,just click on troubleshooting tab and then helpdesk tab,list of your stats then displayed
thanks Steve , haven't tried it yet , but hope to have time after next week ,
I will do a before and after my phone line alteration .

just a quick question on the phone line  to my fascia board , it terminates
close by on the sofit  board into a small grey junction box ? , then from there
it runs loosely stapled in a flat twin around the house 50ft to the kitchen and the HH5, at the moment I am using TP-Link mains adapters back to my computer/hobby room which is only 10 ft from the line junction box ,
so there are going to be changes   ;)
much to my surprise I get 38.7 X 9 on my 40 X10 plan , so not expecting a speed increase , but just need to tidy up the outside of the house , and do away with mains adapters ,
BTW can't comment on the HH5 wireless ability ,  I have it disabled in the hub ,
as I have no need for it normally, and being a copper wire all the way type of guy  ,
that wiring sounds a bit messy,could be you description or my interpretation of it though,I'd go wireless just to tidy it up,the HH5 has very good wireless

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: 08 July 2014, 23:46:42 »
I think you got the gist , it's a mess  ,
I don't do wireless  in case it affects my procreation ability  :o
and alongside my tin foil hat , metal lined underpants would be uncomfortable , :D
BTW I got a friend that can hear space noise , put her in a metal (lead lined room and it stops ) ,
apparently after tests its caused by the earth's rotation , indeed  the world as we know it is a curious place ,
including the Tech forum.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2014, 19:59:48 »
I think I'll defo be changing away from the Billion soon. The WiFi isn't as strong on them as I thought they would be. Tempted to go with an Asus still as reviews seem to point out the WiFi range on them is excellent.

When I was using the BeBox I could get full reception everywhere in my property. As soon as I walk into the hall and into the living room I drop 2-3 bars of signal with the Billion. I wonder how much I would get for it if I sold it on.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #23 on: 20 July 2014, 21:34:48 »
Have a look on ebay mate see how much they are going for.

snadge

« Reply #24 on: 20 July 2014, 21:40:01 »
sorry but i would want a single router combo that dsl stats works (typically broadcom chipset I think)

too many devices and power draw with two..

@ Michty_Me - with wifi, if someone gets in the way of your signal it will changed in strength...happens to everyone, but what your describing are simple black spots where the signal is weak

Offline thar

« Reply #25 on: 20 July 2014, 22:01:07 »
I won mine for 36 plus postage. It had never been used, i was quite chuffed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #26 on: 20 July 2014, 23:31:47 »
sorry but i would want a single router combo that dsl stats works (typically broadcom chipset I think)

too many devices and power draw with two..

@ Michty_Me - with wifi, if someone gets in the way of your signal it will changed in strength...happens to everyone, but what your describing are simple black spots where the signal is weak

I'll wait to see if this new Asus DSL-AC68U is any good on fibre and go with that.
As for the billion I'm currently using it seems to be consistently worse than the BEbox.

As an example, My BeBox spent its days in a cupboard and I could pick up its signal outside the back of my local pub and in the flat car park. I'm on a second floor flat.

The billion is setup in a room with a straight line vision to my PS3 basically and it only sees 65% signal at roughly 5 metres. It certainly doesnt have the range of the BeBox. Maybe that will improve with future firmware updates. I've noticed quite a few people on the Billion forums mention about poor range on the wifi.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2014, 09:46:44 »
A little update, I was getting hacked off with the Billion so I managed to bag a Asus N56U router with a Huwaei HG612 modem for 55. This will tide me by hopefully until I make a decision on the single modem/router combo or to be more specific, Wait for the DSL-AC68U to make an appearance.
I should have maybe gone for the AC56U but what the heck. I don't have any AC equipment.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2014, 21:28:58 »
Does anyone know where the option is on the ASUS router for multiplexing method. I think I need to change it to LLC-Based for the Sky box to play OnDemand crap.

snadge

« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2014, 09:58:57 »
u got fibre?  I dunno what multiplexing (if any) fttc uses and you can not change from one too the other... it will be in the modem ...

if  you do need to change it them tom is the person too ask as he has an asus

the skybox should be able to connect directly and play?

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #30 on: 10 August 2014, 11:04:52 »
There are no setting for that as you are on fibre

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #31 on: 10 August 2014, 11:50:48 »
Hmm odd. I'll need to double check on the billion then. I'm certain it was working when I was using that with the BT modem. Just noticed yesterday it said internet ok , connection to on demand failed.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #32 on: 10 August 2014, 12:53:07 »
Ok just swapped back to the Billion 7800DX and OnDemand works fine now. Must be a setting on the Asus somewhere.

Pity as I really liked the Asus.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #33 on: 10 August 2014, 13:31:51 »
Hmmmmmmm works on mine

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #34 on: 10 August 2014, 13:48:10 »
Hmmmmmmm works on mine

Very odd then. I'll need to re-connect it up and play about with settings in the router. I've done some google searching and there are loads of people having problems using On Demand and the BT equivalent with third party routers. Asus being one of them.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #35 on: 10 August 2014, 13:55:00 »
Does it make any difference if you put merlin firmware on it

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #36 on: 10 August 2014, 14:11:25 »
Does it make any difference if you put merlin firmware on it

There isn't a Merlin firmware for the N56U that I can see.
I've seen people mention Padavan for for N56U but I have no idea which one is which.

Which one would it be? There are 4 types?

Aria
Base
DLNLA
TRMD

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0clSzFg6jb9bVRTRnpNblhDclE&usp=sharing&tid=0B0clSzFg6jb9ejVLX0cyR0ZpMWs#list

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #37 on: 11 August 2014, 12:45:25 »
Ok I found some info with people having issues with Asus routers and BT Vision. Work around is as follows:

'Select ISP Profile' = None
'Choose IPTV STB Port' = None
'Use DHCP routes' = Microsoft
'Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable
'Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable
'UDB Proxy (Udpxy) = 0

It still didn't work with these settings. The key to getting it to work for me was to change a setting under WAN. I changed 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to 'No'.

Also just managed to bag a new RT-N66U for 85 delivered. I'll sell on the Asus N56U.

Is the latest merlin firmware 376.44?

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #38 on: 11 August 2014, 22:09:11 »
Nice one mate I'd be interested what you think of the wifi I think it's a beast of a router

I'm not sure what the latest merlin firmware is I'm back on the standard asus firmware

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #39 on: 11 August 2014, 22:24:52 »
Nice one mate I'd be interested what you think of the wifi I think it's a beast of a router

I'm not sure what the latest merlin firmware is I'm back on the standard asus firmware

Yeah lll report back once I'm setup and going.
Ill just stick on the latest Asus firmware once arrived then. Test with that first and go from there.