Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VDSL Modem Routers  (Read 11317 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
VDSL Modem Routers
« on: 05 July 2014, 15:53:56 »
Advertisement
Hey all, Is there much available for a router modem combo for VDSL at the moment?
I'm looking to get rid of my Billion 7800DX and separate modem.

I've heard the Draytek Vigor 2860n has a VDSL capable modem. Any others?
I quite like the Asus stuff so if they had one I would consider one also.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: VDSL Modem Routers
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2014, 15:58:09 »
I don't have a combined one I have the asus rt n66u and it's a beast of a router

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2014, 16:00:34 »
I don't have a combined one I have the asus rt n66u and it's a beast of a router

I would quite like a combined one. I have heard the Asus wifi capabilities are brilliant though. I really like their interface too so that is why I am hoping they do a combined one :-) I read someone mentioning the RT-AC66U so I'll have a read up on it.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2014, 16:15:09 »
Don't think that's combined that just has the ac wireless network which isn't alot of good if your devices don't support it. There is another asus which is combined but can't remember what one I'll try and find it

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2014, 16:21:12 »
Don't think that's combined that just has the ac wireless network which isn't alot of good if your devices don't support it. There is another asus which is combined but can't remember what one I'll try and find it

Thanks Thomas. That would be great  :D

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2014, 16:28:35 »
There is this one but not sure if it's out yet

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2014, 16:37:33 »
There is this one but not sure if it's out yet

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that one. Its showing as Currys selling it when I done a quick google search. Roughly 150. I've heard of people losing sync speed with aftermarket modem routers. I'll have to do my research on which would be best.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2014, 16:46:58 »
I found a little list on a Plusnet thread.

Draytek 2760n 2860
Fritzbox 7390  7490
Asus  DSL-N66U
Asus DSL-AC68U 
Cisco 887VA ISR
HH3
HH5
Billion 8200
Technicolor  TG589
TechnicolorTG672

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2014, 20:20:10 »
I would go for either the asus or fritzbox but like you said the wifi on the asus is fantastic

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2014, 21:50:17 »
I would go for either the asus or fritzbox but like you said the wifi on the asus is fantastic

I'm liking the look of the Asus to be honest.
Another question, Remember it was recommended to try and get the same chipset as what was serving you at the exchange such as Broadcom. Does the same apply for fibre? Is there any way I can find out what equipment i'm on at the exchange?

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2014, 22:25:24 »

I am on BT fibre , never found a simple way to get  line stats without hacking
the firmware , but as I get very close to my 40 x10 package I am not too bothered ,
but from memory a cheap modem router that was tuneable was the Acatel 585 v5
fully cooperative with dmt tool and line stats could be adjusted for time of the day , as I then lived very close to London Heathrow airport with all it's night time radar interference , I took the easy way  ?  and moved house 29 miles out ,
but I still miss the bell wire trick and the battle for speed , it absorbed many of my hours back then , now filled in with junk IMHO,

steve195527

« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2014, 03:45:43 »

the firmware , but as I get very close to my 40 x10 package I am not too bothered ,
fully cooperative with dmt tool and line stats could be adjusted for time of the day , as I then lived very close to London Heathrow airport with all it's night time radar interference , I took the easy way  ?  and moved house 29 miles out ,
but I still miss the bell wire trick and the battle for speed , it absorbed many of my hours back then , now filled in with junk IMHO,
hh5 gives you the line stats without hacking

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2014, 07:59:11 »
I nearly bought the Asus over the weekend until it was pointed out to me that it was the RT-AC68U and not the DSL-AC68U. The DSL version isn't out until the end of the month.

steve195527

« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2014, 17:37:06 »
I nearly bought the Asus over the weekend until it was pointed out to me that it was the RT-AC68U and not the DSL-AC68U. The DSL version isn't out until the end of the month.
0ne thing to consider is that the BT HH5 is designed to work perfectly with the equipment in the cabinets,both are made by the same company for BT,its the same company that makes the separate modem that all the  companies used to supply for the fibre service,was told by one of the engineers it causes less issues than other combined router/modems on their service

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2014, 20:11:04 »
0ne thing to consider is that the BT HH5 is designed to work perfectly with the equipment in the cabinets,both are made by the same company for BT,its the same company that makes the separate modem that all the  companies used to supply for the fibre service,was told by one of the engineers it causes less issues than other combined router/modems on their service

That is very true. I may just stick with what I have until something comes up that is both perfectly suited and a combo (Hopefully lower in price too!!)

steve195527

« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2014, 20:18:43 »

That is very true. I may just stick with what I have until something comes up that is both perfectly suited and a combo (Hopefully lower in price too!!)
HH5's go pretty cheap on ebay,new ones folk don't want or need

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2014, 20:27:16 »
Looks like I have the ECI one which seems OK so far.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2014, 00:06:28 »

hh5 gives you the line stats without hacking
Tell me more Steve ,  although I have no complaints with speed,
I would love to have the stats in case of future problems ,

steve195527

« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2014, 15:07:12 »
log on to hub,just click on troubleshooting tab and then helpdesk tab,list of your stats then displayed

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2014, 21:10:38 »
log on to hub,just click on troubleshooting tab and then helpdesk tab,list of your stats then displayed
thanks Steve , haven't tried it yet , but hope to have time after next week ,
I will do a before and after my phone line alteration .

just a quick question on the phone line  to my fascia board , it terminates
close by on the sofit  board into a small grey junction box ? , then from there
it runs loosely stapled in a flat twin around the house 50ft to the kitchen and the HH5, at the moment I am using TP-Link mains adapters back to my computer/hobby room which is only 10 ft from the line junction box ,
so there are going to be changes   ;)
much to my surprise I get 38.7 X 9 on my 40 X10 plan , so not expecting a speed increase , but just need to tidy up the outside of the house , and do away with mains adapters ,
BTW can't comment on the HH5 wireless ability ,  I have it disabled in the hub ,
as I have no need for it normally, and being a copper wire all the way type of guy  ,