Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: a light look at a pardox  (Read 984 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
a light look at a pardox
« on: 16 June 2014, 21:18:39 »
Advertisement
I have a 39 year old car, some parts of it have probably covered a Zillion miles
 :D,    some parts are original ,  the DVLA  accept it as a 1975 car ,
Although not all parts are that old ,but then some parts go back to 1952 they only require key parts to be original ,
They list engine ,gearbox and steering components  etc  , but will accept a engine change , and replacement gearbox , suspension and steering of the same original type .
also in the case of my car a new chassis and body shell if fitted  at separate times ,
it all makes sense from a safety point of view . but causes endless arguments about originality ?,nobody has a clear view on that , itís I guess a paradox  ,
same for  Humans !  ďME ď is who we think we are , but in fact we regenerate all our atoms every 7 years or so , So we  canít be original either ,
 ::)
Odd thoughts keep me awake at night ,  like why are my new  atoms obviously fatter :o , will the next atom change get me back into 34 waist Levi's , ?
indeed life is a Paradox , lol:1

steve195527

Re: a light look at a pardox
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2014, 21:44:32 »
If you were fortunate to be able to buy one of the original racing cobras or an original Ferrari 250gto it is very unlikely either will consist of all the original parts when it was 1st built,racing cars get crashed and are rebuilt regularly,engines pop and are rebuilt and they fetch a fortune

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2014, 23:28:10 »
the only AC I could afford with a government grant was the AC petite
and at the time I was living just 1/2 mile from AC's Thames Ditton HQ,
indeed AC =Auto Carrier has had a chequered history ,

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2014, 03:44:18 »
very chequred!

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2014, 22:13:03 »
very chequred!
the car that always fascinated me was the Bristol ,last time I saw one was about 30 years back , although reflecting back to the garage days , the Daimler Dart was a bit of a surprise  , I had one in for a service and tune up, I only ordered 6 spark plugs Doh  >:(  ,

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2014, 23:19:16 »
IMO, we ( The Brits ) have never made/designed a decent car.

Other than assembling cars for the likes of Honda/Toyota, which are in a different league to the unreliable, oil leaking junk that we used to turn out.

Rover head gaskets anyone..... :o

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2014, 23:47:05 »
indeed I remember the days when every UK dealers had the standard oil drip tray
under new UK cars on showroom display,  >:D
and a sawdust/oil mix nearly cured gearbox/axle whine .and a raw egg in the rad
cured all leaks ,   
Oh mem0ries of the good old days  lol:1

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2014, 21:16:28 »
Good old days indeed Roco  ;D   :angel:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2014, 21:36:01 »
cured all leaks ,   
a lot of the older fords leaked oil but there were a few uk made cars that didn't,my dads morris 1800 never dripped any at all or his oxford,his mk1 cortina went through more oil than petrol,and it wasn't through burning it lol

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2014, 21:58:59 »
cured all leaks ,   
a lot of the older fords leaked oil but there were a few uk made cars that didn't,my dads morris 1800 never dripped any at all or his oxford,his mk1 cortina went through more oil than petrol,and it wasn't through burning it lol
DAD had a landcrabe !  pretty they were  like a wart on the end of the nose
My company Audi 5E , needed a  gallon of oil in the boot for a 250 mile return trip,
although it never leaked a drop , it took me a while to realise the view in the RVMirror wasn't a rolling fog bank that was following me down the M1, :D
I am not a Citroen nut, indeed I once purchased a new end of line zx with all the rally gear ,the front spoiler hit every UK speed hump, the multi point injection
was wired in the wrong sequence , ( I had to use a Lancia loom to correct that,)
all Cits UK tech deparment could say conversation closed refer to you local agent ,
I have never stepped foot in a Citroen dealers since , but I do admire their pioneering FWD system, it makes logical sense to me , nobody with a horse and cart
has the horse behind pushing the cart , indeed Traction avant is the way to go ,

steve195527

« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2014, 22:08:29 »
cured all leaks ,   
My company Audi 5E , needed a  gallon of oil in the boot for a 250 mile return trip,
although it never leaked a drop , it took me a while to realise the view in the RVMirror wasn't a rolling fog bank that was following me down the M1, :D
I am not a Citroen nut, indeed I once purchased a new end of line zx with all the rally gear ,the front spoiler hit every UK speed hump, the multi point injection
was wired in the wrong sequence , ( I had to use a Lancia loom to correct that,)
all Cits UK tech deparment could say conversation closed refer to you local agent ,
I have never stepped foot in a Citroen dealers since , but I do admire their pioneering FWD system, it makes logical sense to me , nobody with a horse and cart
has the horse behind pushing the cart , indeed Traction avant is the way to go ,
but the steering on a rwd always feels better,torque steer is a pain!,not many fwd drive high performance cars!(Citroen sm still prob one of fastest!)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2014, 22:30:40 »
cured all leaks ,   
but the steering on a rwd always feels better,torque steer is a pain!,not many fwd drive high performance cars!(Citroen sm still prob one of fastest!)
yes torque steer is a problem on high FWD performance cars
I once drove a FWD Vaux sri ,in the wet,gave it some wellie on a wet M3
it changed lanes ,unfortunately it was into lane 1, fortunately for me the hard shoulder was empty , otherwise I would have been sorting mail in the back of a royal mail trunker ,
the Cit SM was a total disaster ,it needed a timing chain change every 20k,
and 40 ft of chain , not one of Citroen's smart moves  , :but then Citroen went bankrupt 3 times before Peugeot bailed them out ,

steve195527

« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2014, 22:41:41 »
cured all leaks ,   
yes torque steer is a problem on high FWD performance cars
I once drove a FWD Vaux sri ,in the wet,gave it some wellie on a wet M3
it changed lanes ,unfortunately it was into lane 1, fortunately for me the hard shoulder was empty , otherwise I would have been sorting mail in the back of a royal mail trunker ,
the Cit SM was a total disaster ,it needed a timing chain change every 20k,
and 40 ft of chain , not one of Citroen's smart moves  , :but then Citroen went bankrupt 3 times before Peugeot bailed them out ,
blame the timing chain issue on Maserati,it was their design(I think) but then again Citroen liked it so much they bought the company,bit like Victor Kiam and remmington lol
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/29/business/victor-kiam-74-entrepreneur-who-bought-the-company.html

1988 Remington Razor Commercial (with Victor Kiam)