Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BBC licence fee to be cut?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Jay9

• Full-Time Member
BBC licence fee to be cut?
« on: 16 June 2014, 21:10:15 »
Advertisement

Culture Secretary Sajid Javid has signalled the BBC licence fee could be dramatically slashed. The 145.50 fee, which raises around 3.6bn for the Corporation every year, is considered by some as outdated and pricey - especially when many avoid paying it by watching BBC content via the iPlayer.

Could it mean a pay-as-you-view model for the future instead?

http://money.aol.co.uk/2014/06/16/bbc-licence-fee-to-be-cut/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl10%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D272156

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
Re: BBC licence fee to be cut?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2014, 22:01:50 »
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2014, 00:25:44 »
The BBC, while being far from perfect, is still great value, simple solution, do away with iPlayer.

The Tories have always been anti BBC. >:D

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2014, 00:33:39 »
They should make it so it's a subscription worldwide.
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2014, 01:07:16 »
Noooooooo I like iplayer

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2014, 05:35:35 »
i think that using PCs to watch tv is just circumventing the licence fee,those using PCs ipads smart phones etc should still have to pay a fee >:D

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2014, 11:15:06 »
s'funny cos the BBC are known to be pro-tory (some of its leading peers are ex-conservatives)...also I read the other day that they were thinking of removing the license fee and stealthly inserting it into your Tax Bill...proof further that the tories have a foot-hold in the BBC

in fact they love the tories so much they had to tell you all twice in the same day about the Newark By-Election win for the tories:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27727007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27733020

both dated 6th June

the current CEO is a crossbench member of the House of Lords
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hall,_Baron_Hall_of_Birkenhead
Salary: 450,000

the Chairman of the BBC Trust is an ex-conservative MP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Patten

theres more...i just cant be assed to fish them out

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2014, 11:52:48 »
i think that using PCs to watch tv is just circumventing the licence fee,those using PCs ipads smart phones etc should still have to pay a fee >:D

:whathesaid: :whathesaid:

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2014, 23:57:10 »
so many comments from TV watching guys , for the recorded i have not watched
Live TV for 22 years , I figure it has saved me around 3,300 for not needing a licence,
I don't have iPlayer on my comp just a link to factual , but I now find that link leads to
programs that are live ,and I do get on screen warning that I need a licence to view,
which I abide with and don't watch ,
as I said in a earlier post the fee is likely to be added to general taxation ,

I have every respect for the BBC and it's programs , some are excellent and informative  , and don't expect them for free , but the internet is my playground,
and why does the BBC pump them out to all and sundrie then complain about lost licence fees ,
at the moment CBBC horible histories catch up is spellbinding for me ,
Horrible deaths " I hope it's not you " has me glued to the screen,
I also would miss Fraochy bay , Мультик про Россию на шотландском ТВ

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2014, 10:37:36 »
I have every respect for the BBC and it's programs , some are excellent and informative  , and don't expect them for free , but the internet is my playground,
and why does the BBC pump them out to all and sundrie then complain about lost licence fees
Yeah I was thinking that, if iPlayer is going to lose them money (enabling people to circumvent the licence fee) then why bring it out in the first place  ::)

Personally I don't mind paying the TV licence as it only works out around 3 a week and it's nice to have ad-free TV programmes !

steve195527

« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2014, 16:55:20 »
s'funny cos the BBC are known to be pro-tory (some of its leading peers are ex-conservatives)...also I read the other day that they were thinking of removing the license fee and stealthly inserting it into your Tax Bill...proof further that the tories have a foot-hold in the BBC

You are joking, right?

They're biased to the left, slightly. Hence why Labour and UKIP get so much attention.
to the left and ukip in the same sentence??ukip make the tories seem left wing!

steve195527

« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2014, 16:57:10 »
so many comments from TV watching guys , for the recorded i have not watched
Live TV for 22 years , I figure it has saved me around 3,300 for not needing a licence,
I don't have iPlayer on my comp just a link to factual , but I now find that link leads to
programs that are live ,and I do get on screen warning that I need a licence to view,
which I abide with and don't watch ,
as I said in a earlier post the fee is likely to be added to general taxation ,

and why does the BBC pump them out to all and sundrie then complain about lost licence fees ,
at the moment CBBC horible histories catch up is spellbinding for me ,
Horrible deaths " I hope it's not you " has me glued to the screen,
I also would miss Fraochy bay , Мультик про Россию на шотландском ТВ
with all that money you have saved you could have bought a (semi) decent car and ditched the 2CV! >:D >:D >:D

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 20 June 2014, 21:05:29 »
and why does the BBC pump them out to all and sundrie then complain about lost licence fees
Yeah I was thinking that, if iPlayer is going to lose them money (enabling people to circumvent the licence fee) then why bring it out in the first place  ::)

Personally I don't mind paying the TV licence as it only works out around 3 a week and it's nice to have ad-free TV programmes !
I agree Curly ,  there is no  way I could watch a TV prog  that stopped to try and sell me something , with all my 20 years hassle with the licence enforcers ,
the treats to take me to court etc , I think some of the BBC programs are excellent,
I only watch catch up factual or history,  otherwise I would rather read a non fiction book  normally I pay 3 for a 1 at jumble sales ,
but each to their own , I do appreciate the licence payers , without them we would have USA style TV ,

@ Steve . (with all that money you have saved you could have bought a (semi) decent car and ditched the 2CV! >:D
yeah right money down the drain for A-B transport ? . just to make my prick seem bigger ,  :D

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 20 June 2014, 21:49:47 »
I think some of the BBC programs are excellent,
I only watch catch up factual or history
I mostly watch the Discovery channels on Sky, I don't bother with the sport or the movie packages.

I do however enjoy watching movies but make do with the 'free' movie channels as that does me !

Regarding the BBC, I also watch similar themed programmes.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 20 June 2014, 22:02:46 »
I think some of the BBC programs are excellent,
I only watch catch up factual or history
I mostly watch the Discovery channels on Sky, I don't bother with the sport or the movie packages.

I do however enjoy watching movies but make do with the 'free' movie channels as that does me !

Regarding the BBC, I also watch similar themed programmes.
Nice . especially the sport ( blink and you would have missed Engluuuunds
chance in the world cup , my local Tesco now has Larger at 1/2 price  . :D

steve195527

« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2014, 00:05:39 »

I agree Curly ,  there is no  way I could watch a TV prog  that stopped to try and sell me something , with all my 20 years hassle with the licence enforcers ,
the treats to take me to court etc , I think some of the BBC programs are excellent,
I only watch catch up factual or history,  otherwise I would rather read a non fiction book  normally I pay 3 for a 1 at jumble sales ,
but each to their own , I do appreciate the licence payers , without them we would have USA style TV ,

@ Steve . (with all that money you have saved you could have bought a (semi) decent car and ditched the 2CV! >:D
yeah right money down the drain for A-B transport ? . just to make my prick seem bigger ,  :D
A-B?isn't every journey for anybody A-B?then perhaps on to C then D,bit like folk saying tomorrow is the longest day!no it isn't it has 24hrs like all the rest

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2014, 00:07:50 »
Longest day today..... :D lol:1

>:D

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2014, 01:05:29 »
Nice . especially the sport ( blink and you would have missed Engluuuunds
chance in the world cup , my local Tesco now has Larger at 1/2 price  . :D