Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1600 jobs at Openreach  (Read 1132 times)

Offline KRW

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

snadge

Re: 1600 jobs at Openreach
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2014, 11:39:01 »
they want 20 in my area...if i had driving license i would be straight in!

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2014, 12:27:25 »

Get yourself one then Snadge, it makes life so much easier.

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2014, 20:22:51 »

Get yourself one then Snadge, it makes life so much easier.

unfortunately I cant afford it... wages are low and cost of living is high in this country.. I would rather pay for a block booking and learn it all in 1 week as thats better for me, previous attempts at once per week were no good, felt like starting over every week....

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2014, 13:23:27 »
Fair enough Snadge, but you need to look at as a lifelong investment, put it at the top of your priorities. ;)

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2014, 14:47:03 »
from job description:-
ĽAt least 3 weeks comprehensive initial training, followed by buddying on the job and then the opportunity for ongoing skills development
wow 3 weeks!,its no wonder some of the engineers have less of a clue than the customers!

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2014, 16:47:34 »
ĽAt least 3 weeks comprehensive initial training, followed by buddying on the job and then the opportunity for ongoing skills development
wow 3 weeks!,its no wonder some of the engineers have less of a clue than the customers!
:whathesaid:

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2014, 21:10:12 »
Explains why I had to go through 10 engineers to get an 11th to fix my problems.
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2014, 22:41:35 »
So Ok 3 weeks intensive , so what's wrong with that ? the crucial IMHO  is the learning budding stage ,  no new guy can know it all in a year , it's never is connect wire A to terminal B or whatever the books says ,
and news guys have to start somewhere ,indeed my first FTTC install I got a guy
fresh out of the Royal marines , he took 3 hours and got totally lost , so I did the connections for him ,  :D  he stayed so long I cooked him a shared lunch , :D
but no doubt he is now a good lines man , or works in McD ,
just a shame the training/buddying is so short ,
but saying that My leccy meter and time switch got changed by a meter fitter
that 3  weeks previous had been a butchers assistant , at 11Pm do to his wiring error
the off peak t/S  kicked in  and blew the main fuse ,as the elderly emergency call out guy said these novices will eventually kill someone ,
Hey we all have to start some where  , I know I wrecked a gearbox on a new car due to lack of my experience ,
also Concorde  got grounded on it's first flight to Australia but to battery charging
problems , no fully my fault ( Lucas charging equipment)  but with more experience
under my belt I would have seen it coming , and I would not have signed of the batteries final test , indeed thermal runaway  was unknown in the UK .

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2014, 01:20:52 »
So Ok 3 weeks intensive , so what's wrong with that ? the crucial IMHO  is the learning budding stage ,  no new guy can know it all in a year

3 months with someone experienced would be perfect. You'll forget a lot of things in 3 weeks. However, that would hit BT's profits.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2014, 02:28:53 »
So Ok 3 weeks intensive , so what's wrong with that ? the crucial IMHO  is the learning budding stage ,  no new guy can know it all in a year

3 months with someone experienced would be perfect. You'll forget a lot of things in 3 weeks. However, that would hit BT's profits.
do you really think 3 months is enough ? ,  even after 3 years  the unexpected can bite your ass , so much depends on experience , and that is learnt the hard way ,
but then maybe folk/employees don't give a rats ass  these days it's just a job ,
truly it doesn't seem fashionable these days to worry about "service to the customer ",
I think Tesco is just finding that out , indeed crap in = crap out , eventually it hits profits ,

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2014, 05:05:04 »
No, I don't think 3 months is enough because think back to the true good days of apprenticeship. You were training with people for 5 years before fully qualified. That would never happen in todays economy. Instant society. :/