Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One in 11 Britons has less than 10 a month disposable income  (Read 7686 times)

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
Re: One in 11 Britons has less than 10 a month disposable income
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2014, 03:22:43 »
Advertisement
GSOH?
Originally known as Quasimoto

steve195527

« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2014, 03:37:31 »
"though we have a lot of extremely rich here we also have a lot of very poor folk"
as it has always been , so nothing changes  ,

the topic "One in 11 Britons has less than 10 a month disposable income "
is a little vague , it only says after paying essential bills ,
but doesn't define essential ,
either way what's the answer , raise tax on the rich ? , and give it to the poor doesn't work,  the rich will emigrate , indeed take away the carrot and apply the whip
doesn't help the poor either  as rich money peculates down ,
they always say"the rich will emigrate" but they never do,they haven't since the days of top rate income tax being over 80%,from your replies it seems your happy that some folk have nothing apart from money to pay for the food water electricity/gas rent or mortgage  and perhaps they should consider themselves lucky to have a few pounds left after those things have been paid?yes the rich money is really percolating down to them isn't it?I actually find it a sad indictment of our society that you and others find it acceptable that some folk have so little disposable income!
What are your views on zero day contracts?they are great for the employers and the govt(saves on benefits as the folk on them are not deemed available for work so get no dole even if not working most days of the week)but crap if you need to have a certain guaranteed  income to be able to buy(yeh right!) or rent a place??
your insulting me , I spent 10 years in medical research on 1/2 the pay I could have earnd , ( it was my choice ) and my last 5 years working for a charity ,so apart from mouthing off , what have you done for your fellow man ,
Yes I do know the pain of being poor personally, indeed as a child the only full dinner I got was on a Sunday , anyone else remember sugar on toast for mid week tea ,?
and yes I do care for the poor , but winging changes nothing ,
just yesterday I was talking to a ex SAS guy paralysed from the waist down since the Falklands war , he lived in a tent alongside his wheel chair for 5 years
until he eventually got housed , as living in a army barrack block doesn't count as a residency for housing, and he still is a happy guy , I was proud to shake his hand ,
then I read posts from GSOH folk saying their times are hard , please excuse me while I puke ,
sorry if this post offends anybody , it's just the way I see things ,
If you feel that way why post things more ore less saying the opposite?We prob all know folk in similar situation to your ex sas man(unusual that you know he is ex sas to be honest,not many actually will give up that info,unless writing a memoir book)
Your previous posts gave me the impression that you don't give a fu*k about the poor:-its their problem!

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2014, 13:53:07 »
Surely it is often down to the " Human Factor "..??

Give say 50 people 50.000 each.....go back a year later and many will have used the money wisely, many will have blown the lot away, as seen with many pools/lottery winners.

I wonder how many of those " poor " folk have Sky/Virgin subscriptions? :-\

steve195527

« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2014, 14:48:08 »
Surely it is often down to the " Human Factor "..??

Give say 50 people 50.000 each.....go back a year later and many will have used the money wisely, many will have blown the lot away, as seen with many pools/lottery winners.

I have a feeling that those subscriptions would be classed as disposable income and not as necessities

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2014, 14:55:20 »

Don't forget the 500 iPhones and iPad's. I was always amazed to hear some people I know who said they're just barely scraping by. Yet they have all these gizmo's with 2 year contracts and on benefits. Yet I'm not on the job centre, don't have 200+ phones and Pads or going on holidays or scraping by. I do have a android smartphone that cost 129 but it's pay as you go.

I haven't been on holiday since 1995, I could but it's not a necessity to me.

I'm always amazed hearing on Deal or NoDeal all they crave is holidays. Not saving the money they won. Nearly every contestant is the same. Must "need" a holiday. "I'm so depressed."

steve195527

« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2014, 15:02:35 »

Don't forget the 500 iPhones and iPad's. I was always amazed to hear some people I know who said they're just barely scraping by. Yet they have all these gizmo's with 2 year contracts and on benefits. Yet I'm not on the job centre, don't have 200+ phones and Pads or going on holidays or scraping by. I do have a android smartphone that cost 129 but it's pay as you go.

I haven't been on holiday since 1995, I could but it's not a necessity to me.

I'm always amazed hearing on Deal or NoDeal all they crave is holidays. Not saving the money they won. Nearly every contestant is the same. Must "need" a holiday. "I'm so depressed."
you watch deal or no deal??think you def need a holiday!

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2014, 15:06:59 »
Lol! Not always. I sometimes watch it just to see how sad and ridiculous it is at times. Soon as contestants start crying and all the shoddy acting or dressing up happens. Off it goes. That and if they dress up, thats a week it'll be off. Since they dress up the entire week. Plus I really like Noel since I always watched Noel's House Party back in the 90s on Saturday nights.

steve195527

« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2014, 15:12:02 »
never seen anything like that or big brother,I'm a celeb etc(or any soaps):-I'm lucky enough to be married to a woman who prefers sc-fi and documentaries to that crap and she is looking forward to my new copies of zep 2 and 3 arriving(my originals are worn outish 1st day issues)

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2014, 15:42:19 »
Oh god no. I certainly don't watch that stuff. Reality shows, game shows (apart from Noel from time to time) soaps and all that is taboo. However, it's frightening how soaps and all that is the biggest thing this country tunes into.

Even most people that you know, knows or knows who is in soaps. It's so bad now on Sky Showcase, soaps never showed up there and last week I saw Coronation Street listed on there. I was like what the hell, thanks masses. Only time you were to find soaps was under catchup. That I never go into. That most of the people that are barely scraping by that watch. Which I'll bet having no interest in UK politics or whats happening with the country, let alone voting.

As someone else once said, some of these people actually think Facebook Likes achieve something in the world.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member

steve195527

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: 03 June 2014, 19:03:06 »
Did you hear about European banks and deflation on Sky News Business. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2645537/European-Central-Bank-moves-beat-deflation.html

steve195527

« Reply #32 on: 03 June 2014, 20:15:34 »
Did you hear about European banks and deflation on Sky News Business. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2645537/European-Central-Bank-moves-beat-deflation.html
same thing Gordon Brown did here years ago!what do the europeans mean by deflating though?

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 03 June 2014, 20:59:56 »
The Sky News website always bugs me. The information is never there at times with the stuff they broadcast. It was on the Sky News Business part with Sam Washington.

steve195527

« Reply #34 on: 15 June 2014, 10:35:36 »
The way our system works is if you work hard, you go up the ladder and earn more. Makes perfect sense.
where do you live?in the real world or cloud cuckoo land,it is supposed to be like that but in reality it never is,the worst paid are in the jobs that offer no prospect of advancement and are usually the hardest/dirtiest as well

If you're in a job that offers no prospects, then leave and do something else. You aren't forced to stay in a job you don't like.

you do live in cloud cuckoo land,folk have to stay in jobs they don't like or even hate for a variety of reasons,possibly due to no others in the area,financial commitments,having a family to provide for,in parts of the country there are still hundreds of applicants for every vacancy,you can't just leave a job with none to go to if you have kids etc

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #35 on: 15 June 2014, 10:37:06 »
The way our system works is if you work hard, you go up the ladder and earn more. Makes perfect sense.
where do you live?in the real world or cloud cuckoo land,it is supposed to be like that but in reality it never is,the worst paid are in the jobs that offer no prospect of advancement and are usually the hardest/dirtiest as well
If you're in a job that offers no prospects, then leave and do something else. You aren't forced to stay in a job you don't like.
That is easer said than done in our present economic climate.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

steve195527

« Reply #36 on: 15 June 2014, 11:12:08 »
How dare you!

You know absolutely nothing about my background or my life. You have no evidence to make such a statement, thus I suggest you remove it and we'll move on.
how dare I what?only insinuating you have no idea about what you are talking about,it is not easy just changing jobs because you don't like or have no prospects in the one you have,don't act hurt by folk thinking you are wrong about something/anything really

steve195527

« Reply #37 on: 15 June 2014, 11:22:15 »
how dare I what?only insinuating you have no idea about what you are talking about,it is not easy just changing jobs because you don't like or have no prospects in the one you have,don't act hurt by folk thinking you are wrong about something/anything really

Please, explain how I don't know what I am talking about.

What I have experienced in my life is if you work hard, you move up the ladder. End of story.
ok so all the folk stuck in dead end jobs in towns with no alternative work,possibly after being made redundant from a far higher paid job which they did work hard to achieve and are now "too old" for new employers to consider properly,don't exist?we still have over 2million unemployed in this country,probably more like 3million once the govts massaging of the figures are removed,but in parts of the country,London and the south east,things seem fine in the parts where it isn't folk take what jobs they can get

steve195527

« Reply #38 on: 15 June 2014, 11:33:30 »
As I say, I can only speak about my experiences and I have experienced none of the things you have stated.

Most of the people I have met stuck in poor jobs are due to poor qualifications - everyone has a choice to work harder and if you can't due to disability, etc. there is help.

Other people just cannot be bothered and thus stay at the bottom of the "ladder", where they deserve to be.
take a trip north and see the depredation of what were once  thriving busy towns and cities,once a place gets down its very hard for it to recover,it becomes a vicious spiral,that is why they are the cheapest places to buy a house in the UK,none of the places of high unemployment are down south(Brighton excluded as work there seems seasonal)

steve195527

« Reply #39 on: 15 June 2014, 11:35:51 »
I don't have any plans to visit the north country.

I'm happy with where I live and it seems a lot of people are - lots of people are migrating here also to find better work...
yeh right
bit like one of our multi million pound earning footballers joining and posting he can see no financial hardship in the country as he is getting by fine!