Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BMW guys may laugh  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
BMW guys may laugh
« on: 19 May 2014, 23:46:04 »
Advertisement
BUT , my 76 2cv  is gaining money every year,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215584/How-Citroen-2CV-wrecks-restored-Britain--sold-France-nice-little-earner.html

indeed it's coals to Newcastle , Jeez its gaining £  far faster  than bank interest rates, it cost me back in 1997 around £500 for a total rebuild and DIY spray
last week I turned down a £6k offer  ,
I guess  easy to maintain and 50Mpg  still has some appeal , >:D

steve195527

Re: BMW guys may laugh
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 03:46:32 »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215584/How-Citroen-2CV-wrecks-restored-Britain--sold-France-nice-little-earner.html

indeed it's coals to Newcastle , Jeez its gaining £  far faster  than bank interest rates, it cost me back in 1997 around £500 for a total rebuild and DIY spray
nostalgia is great ain't it,I still remember how shit they are to drive!(unless you want to go over a ploughed field with a tray of eggs)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2014, 20:56:05 »

nostalgia is great ain't it,I still remember how shit they are to drive!(unless you want to go over a ploughed field with a tray of eggs)
as one does most days  ,
Nostalgia =££££  ;) , the boss of the landscapers is into scooters Vespa & Lamberetta,
he's just paid  £6000 for a retro SX200 ,  complete with whip aerial and fox tail,
I have the complete workshop tool kit , I now have some repairs coming in end of season , and a chance to get my money back  ;)

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2014, 21:10:48 »

as one does most days  ,
Nostalgia =££££  ;) , the boss of the landscapers is into scooters Vespa & Lamberetta,
he's just paid  £6000 for a retro SX200 ,  complete with whip aerial and fox tail,
I have the complete workshop tool kit , I now have some repairs coming in end of season , and a chance to get my money back  ;)
If profit is all you're worried about then I see where you're coming from but I was so glad to get shot of my 2cv and get a proper car(mini cooper s,dry suspension twin tank jobbyi!)it was unreal,I could go places and get back the same day and enjoy the drive,not consider it a task!as an investment they may be good but as a car?and aren't they the most polluting car on our roads in reg use  nowadays,since the decline of the watburg knight

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2014, 22:18:44 »
Hey Steve I got shot of my Mini cooper S , moved on to a T spitfire ,
( it was a better bird puller )  ended up with a TR 7 ,( no don't go there )
then I got introduced to marriage and and eventually kids , my dream of owning a Statos  got put on hold , and still is  :'(
but then by nature I am still a biker at heart ,my today dream machine is a BMW
Paris- Dakar  replica bike , the 600cc version as I never saw the advantage  of a bigger and heaver bike in the dirt ,
and I love convertibles anyway ,tin top cars seem like prison to me ,

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2014, 22:40:12 »
 :D Hi Steve ,I see you hsave swallowed the Clarkson Myth,
the 2CV  produces more pollutants than a a new Ferrari , 
it does under MOT type tests , that is measured by a % of volume ,
not by total output of exhaust fumes,
put it on a realistic total exhaust output per mile ,the Citroen's  600 cc's engine 
has a far lower output than the Ferrari ,
but yes the 2CV  designed in 37 , so isn't going to be the most eco friendly car around today ,but worry not according to the DLVC  their are only 1,800 cars left on the road ,
btw The Wartburg knight along with DKW & Trabant were 2 stokes ,same as the Asian Phut-phut  taxis  , they to me fit into the same category as Diesel  vehicles
very high in  Carbon particulate exhaust emissions  , as Paris found out  during the last wind free spell of weather,

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2014, 23:27:49 »
Look at this beast

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/200mph-nissan-qashqai-r-revealed-2014-05-21
So ! it's a fast squashed guy , even Ryanair  moves me faster ,
I figure  within the year Telfords unemployed queue will get a bit longer ,

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2014, 23:39:32 »
Do you not like it Roco? I think it's lush but we are all different

steve195527

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2014, 04:14:45 »
given choice of that and a P1 I would go for the P1,given choice of that and the 2CV I would prob go for that

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2014, 00:06:28 »
I am not really a car guy ,  but I did have a favourite , that I will never own  :'( ,
anyway it would look silly with my camping trailer hitched on for my jumble sale
bargains ,   :D

Pic of my previous Cit 2CV ,  a bit chilly in the winter though  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2014, 21:30:38 »
Another wet bank holiday , but had time to reflect on assembling your own car,
(you don't build a car ) unless you are Mr Ford etc ,
KIT cars ,  now just about killed off , probably rightly so , folk start the assembly
in high spirits and great confidence , mostly using S/H parts , often with little history
of the components previous life , then they find the build takes longer and more costly
than the first thought , so corners get cut , parts don't fit so out comes the hammer and hacksaw , I figure about 45% of the projects never get finished anyway  ,

Indeed my last 2CV build took 6 months part time , it was a customer build for a rally to  Australia , after 2 weeks full time locating parts and building ,
he came back and said cancel it , my now fiancée said I can't go , as we need the money for a house deposit ,
to cut the story short I took  chassis and running gear in lieu of payment ,
I had no intention of doing the 1 way rally ( Raid Oz )  as selling the car that end
would be a disaster , sure they sell there , but not when 50 -75 all turn up a once ,
and so it proved a lot of folk didn't get their money back to cover the cost of Raid OZ ,
anyway back on topic I have built 3 cars ground up , all went over budget on parts alone , even if my time was uncounted ,
2 cars I refused to build was a VW beach buggy & a Westfield 7 ,having driven both
in the wet ,( power to weight/balance was all wrong , )  a bit like early Porche ,
any clown can put a bigger/more powerful engine in a lighter car , but beware of the end result ,
I know a 2 CV  can take 20% more BHP , beyond that things get complicated ,
I have driven a 2|CV fitted with a Alfa Sud engine , it started to float  @ 90 MPH
it maxed out  due to Aerodynamics , and it would have looked stupid with a whale tail on the bonnet. cars ?  I hate them at last  :D
Just A-B and as cheap as possible , as long as it's a convertible  ,
I don't have dreams of driving in Le'mans 24 hour races anymore
unlike the local young Corsa drivers in the high street with their  cherry bomb exhausts ,
Car rant over -----for now , ;)
will Clarkson ever grow up ?   think not with a 3 year £12 million contract under his belt , for that I would be happy to advertise Breast is best on Mumset ,
and be a big t*t like Jeremy   :D

steve195527

« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2014, 10:32:45 »
just had a thought,if wanted to buy a car that is practical,nippy(read fast) economical,comfy to drive long distances,fun to drive(lots and lots of fun to drive)and will go up in price,prob faster than a 2CV,then buy a BMW:-an E30 M3,only issues are they are left hand drive and you won't be able to take your eggs across a ploughed field!(but you could prob drive round it in same time and enjoy driving round it!)
Re the Stratos,firm just up road from us used to prepare a couple of those for somebody in rallycross I think,they used to prepare Matt Neals car when he was an independent in the BTCC,sadly the place has closed down now ,nobody really wanted road cars set up on rolling roads since everything went cpu controlled,its all down to programmers nowadays,company was Goodliff Racing(used to be part of Vita,vita racing,raced cars,power boats,anything that was fast!)
the Stratos was one care none of lads liked road testing because it was geared so low,only topped out just over a ton but got there so fast it was scary in traffic

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2014, 03:35:42 »
just had a thought,if wanted to buy a car that is practical,nippy(read fast) economical,comfy to drive long distances,fun to drive(lots and lots of fun to drive)and will go up in price,prob faster than a 2CV,then buy a BMW:-an E30 M3,only issues are they are left hand drive and you won't be able to take your eggs across a ploughed field!(but you could prob drive round it in same time and enjoy driving round it!)
Re the Stratos,firm just up road from us used to prepare a couple of those for somebody in rallycross I think,they used to prepare Matt Neals car when he was an independent in the BTCC,sadly the place has closed down now ,nobody really wanted road cars set up on rolling roads since everything went cpu controlled,its all down to programmers nowadays,company was Goodliff Racing(used to be part of Vita,vita racing,raced cars,power boats,anything that was fast!)
the Stratos was one care none of lads liked road testing because it was geared so low,only topped out just over a ton but got there so fast it was scary in traffic
no prob with left hookers , I Prefer them  , you get out of the drivers seat on the pavement , interesting car the BMW E 30 M3 , the cheapest I could find online
was 25K ,  so that rules it out  (I never pay more than 1k for a car,)
also not sure about fast long distances , for that I use Ryan air ,
after all how fast can you really travel in the UK , the average in London is 11 MPH ,
and maybe 80Mph at night on motorways ,
BTW a Friend owns Fritz bits , http://www.fritzsbits.co.uk/shop/ , I haven't  got him into the joys of 2CV tuning (yet )  >:D nor has he got me interested  in spannering
on BMW's ,  :D
The Stratos light weight and short wheelbase I have also been told was a pig to drive , I think the argument "did they build 500 " still rages on ,
a bit like the old classic Hispano-Suiza they only built 1460 and 3000 of them still survive :D, at least my 2vc is original it's only had a new chassis and a body change,
another engine gearbox, but I think the o/side kingpin is original ,  ;) 

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2014, 12:33:54 »
Reminds of that old joke about hedgehogs;

What's the difference between a hedgehog and a BMW?

Hedgehog has it's pricks on the outside. ;)

steve195527

« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2014, 17:54:22 »

similar to what is unique about a police horse?

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 02 June 2014, 20:03:19 »

they are all fillies , coz as my mate chalkie said
look at that big c*nt  on that police horse,  :o

steve195527

« Reply #17 on: 02 June 2014, 21:13:46 »

I knew it as only animal with a **nt in the middle of its back!

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 03 June 2014, 01:14:20 »

I knew it as only animal with a **nt in the middle of its back!
  :D ,
My mate Chalkie got us lads into a lot of trouble ,
his Irish accent didn't help when  he a addressed  officers of the law as
Po----lice officer ,  that's when I learnt the rudiments of diplomacy  and only got a 6 month driving ban , and I was the passenger , apparently a full m/c licence didn't enable me to supervise a learner Irish boyo car driver ,it turned out it wasn't his car
he had borrowed it  ,