Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: concerns on 1400 fencing job thats booked in  (Read 1320 times)

snadge

concerns on 1400 fencing job thats booked in
« on: 16 May 2014, 12:37:01 »
Advertisement
My "other half" booked in a (3rd) qoute for a fencing job, to remove the old fence thats down the side and around the back of our house and install 6ft in its place and also up the garden path, with capping, two gates (one small) a trellis and take out a small 2ft x 3ft brick wall thats between the house and shed..... 1400 was the average price...

so she booked in Alpine Fencing - thing is she wasnt shown any pictures of what this trellis would look like (except to be told they build their own & would be 'basic') , wasnt told what the spacing would be, wasnt told if they take the old fencing away - also she was told they have a team of 3-4 that will get it all done in one day...!!!  that concerned me straight away...even with a team of 3-4 its still a huge job

its about 25-30m in all according to google (red is where the fence is going, it has old 3ft fencing there apart from up the garden path, the green is where the trellis is going)

I have sent them an email asking for clarification on exactly whats being done, big enough job removing the old fence never mind all the other work.

1 day?

I would have thought you'd need that just too allow the concrete to dry on the installed uprights?

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: concerns on 1400 fencing job thats booked in
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2014, 12:59:39 »
I used to do a lot of fencing and if it's 30 metres then yes with 4 men should do it in a day. They will probably brace the posts so they don't move while the concrete is setting or they might use postcrete which goes off around 10-15 mins

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2014, 13:04:39 »
I nee to move up your way 1400 seems alot

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2014, 13:20:58 »
 :whathesaid:

Postcrete sets in about 15 minutes.

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2014, 15:32:40 »
cheapest was 1340 - 1400 and 1600 and to be fair I thought they were reasonable prices for the amount of work...cos old fence needs to be taken out & away, a wall to cut out....couple of gates and a trellis

we got some postcrete once that said 1hr ..is it reliable stuff like? we get v. strong winds in winter...it can lift concrete slabs...lets put it that way!

how much would you have done it for?

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2014, 15:38:32 »
It is very reliable if used correctly, the post will break before the Postcrete gives way. ;)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2014, 16:27:35 »
What height are the panels you want and trellis, are the panels just Normal horizontal ones or vertical closeboard

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2014, 23:00:46 »
vertical

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2014, 23:04:30 »
Ahhhhhhhh well then not so bad and no I wouldn't use postcrete on 4x4 posts, 3x3 I would and it's brilliant but not on closeboard fencing

snadge

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2014, 23:09:22 »
Ahhhhhhhh well then not so bad and no I wouldn't use postcrete on 4x4 posts, 3x3 I would and it's brilliant but not on closeboard fencing

why not on 4x4..?

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2014, 23:41:37 »
1.4K that would buy a plumber in London for 2 days ,
most self employed locally to me are looking at at least 1K per week ,
gardeners charge 25 per hour and they are like gold dust, we have gardener guzzumping going on , :D
Jeez,  find a good gardener and give him rights to sleep with your
Wife/Daughter ,if he's gay failing that give him a Mini-Cooper S estate to run around in, or be prepared to bend over backwards :D
I now use metal spiked post fixes , set in concrete and rubble ,at least that way
you can replace the post next hurricane when it snaps off ,

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2014, 08:09:41 »
Only reason for not using on 4x4 is because it's a much heavier post and fence,so what I would do is mix of cement and ballast and then just brace the posts on an angle to the ground as it's going off, you can work on the rest of the fence then

snadge

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2014, 12:38:27 »
i see, maybe this is what they will do, no reply to my email to them yet (as expected, it was a live.co.uk address that probs never gets checked) of course she went mental when she found out i had emailed them lol...wanted me to fwd the email to her....said i deleted it haahaa

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2014, 22:33:09 »
well a team of 3 started today and only done half the fence job and taken wall out...other half of fence and trellis too go.... they did not use post-crete and were mixing their own on-site, I only saw 1 post braced in but I was away for 3+ hours, they have left the posts in to set off....everything has been 'clout nailed' in...more force on the fence as its going off IMO - I would of used a self-loading screw-gun and screws if putting onto uprights in fresh concrete

the wall they took out was a mess on the shed side (where it was tied in) I would have cut it out with a stihl-saw for a nice neat cut but instead they kango'd it out and it looks a mess with big chunks out the corner of the shed and needs filling with render etc

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2014, 22:40:04 »
Yes I wouldn't of used a hammer if cement was still going off it would of been a nail gun or wait till tomorrow

snadge

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2014, 08:44:39 »
the posts are 4x3 (or 4x2.5 ..will have to get tape on them) and the fence run up the path has some wobble on it when pushed..but you can see why they had to put them in that way so the gate at bottom has same on each side... so much for 100x100 posts - although she said that was the other bloke who said he uses 4x4 - the rest of the fence has them in the correct way for stability

pissed down since 5am and no sign of them yet...they had the old fence ripped out by this time yesterday...

cement still seems like it hasnt gone of fully

snadge

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2014, 12:24:40 »
job is complete - looks ok actually... only criticisms are the way they took the wall out leaving it ugly on the corner of the shed (saving grace is the shed is coming down in the future but not for a year or so) AND the trellis is about 2 inches higher than the fence?! - nothing I cant saw't out (see what I did there? hehe)

I will take a photo when its dry as its peeing down but overall the job was good

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2014, 00:43:38 »
you think you have probs Snage . my ground crew ( landscape artiste's  ?
just sliced through the armoured to the remote double garage/workshop .
( the reason I bought the place ) I cant blame them , it should have been 2 ft deep with a marker tape at 1 foot .  so bang goes my weekend again, ha ha the digger driver
also nearly went bang also ,

snadge

« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2014, 10:13:33 »
you think you have probs Snage . my ground crew ( landscape artiste's  ?
just sliced through the armoured to the remote double garage/workshop .
( the reason I bought the place ) I cant blame them , it should have been 2 ft deep with a marker tape at 1 foot .  so bang goes my weekend again, ha ha the digger driver
also nearly went bang also ,

Snage?  hehe

oh dear, sorry to hear of your problem...whose fault is that then? the ex-owners of the house?

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2014, 17:49:55 »

[/quote]

Snage?  hehe

oh dear, sorry to hear of your problem...whose fault is that then? the ex-owners of the house?
[/quote]
I don't see it as any ones fault , worse things happen at sea ,
yes, the cable should have been deeper  with a marker tape  1 ft above it ,
I am just glad the digger driver stayed in the cab , and didn't just climb down ,
Hey the landscapers are working at Mates Rates , :-)  , and they dug out a trench
around the cable for me to repair ,  ( the kit is on order )  it won't be the first time I have repaired underground cables ,  fortunately the cable is on a generous bend so the repair should be easy-peasy ( famous last words  ;)
But it's slowed down the now Total Blank sheet Land clearance , 
I did say "Garden Barbecue is on for June " back in April, good job I didn't say which year   :D
just had a shock on the price of paving slabs !!!!  :'( , indeed the old Irish navy saying the streets are paved in gold seems very true , and don't talk about wooden used railway sleepers , 25 each locally ,  might be doing a midnight  troll down to the local BR track , If you read SW trains are cancelled to Windsor next day , I know nothing  :angel:  .....  :D