Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatty Forums 'infected'  (Read 2876 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Chatty Forums 'infected'
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2014, 09:21:46 »
Advertisement
I may be wrong but link me too the forum..i bet 99% of those 80,000 users are non posters and likely to be automated bot (and human) spammers that signed up, they never post but sign up to 100's/1000's of forums THEN start spamming...but some may get blocked upon spamming
I never thought of that.

If true it's shocking that there are so many spammers on the internet !

snadge

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2014, 12:31:08 »
heres a snippet from our log but we get about 1 per hour on average trying to sign up, these get blocked immediatley by Stop Spammer using a Database - these MUST be human spammers due to our registration techniques (answering questions and quite a difficult captcha), they just need the account, once gotten a bot can do the rest later

we have excellent spam protection on this forum...rarely one may get through signup and this is usually a new spammer who started with us before getting onto a database - happens just couple of times per year - even if we didnt catch them after registration we have Anti-Spam measures that block spam posts

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2014, 00:24:01 »
just my thoughts , as a ex member of a USA forum (80.000 + members and no new posts for 3 days  :o )
That's a lot worse than here with only a handful of members  lol:1
no it isn't mate INHO , we chat , neither of us knows each other ,
I will help you within my limited capabilities , I am sure you would do the same .
so is a small forum a  bad thing ? , we can express views and ask for help ,
I truly value that,  maybe we are a small band of brothers ,
so what's wrong with that? , but I do appreciate there is now thing as a free lunch
BTW ,I dont do arse book, never felt that desperate to have "friends " 

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2014, 11:58:21 »
 :whathesaid:

Spot on Roco. ;)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2014, 12:23:20 »
As much as it would be nice to get new members I do like it with the group that are on here at the mo

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2014, 22:27:41 »
just my thoughts , as a ex member of a USA forum (80.000 + members and no new posts for 3 days  :o )
That's a lot worse than here with only a handful of members  lol:1
no it isn't mate INHO , we chat , neither of us knows each other ,
I will help you within my limited capabilities , I am sure you would do the same .
so is a small forum a  bad thing ? , we can express views and ask for help ,
I truly value that,  maybe we are a small band of brothers ,
so what's wrong with that? , but I do appreciate there is now thing as a free lunch
BTW ,I dont do arse book, never felt that desperate to have "friends "
What I meant (before finding out that most of those members could be spammers) is that with that many members (if they were genuine) then it would be surprising to see that forum less active than here with only a handful of members !

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2014, 22:29:27 »
As much as it would be nice to get new members I do like it with the group that are on here at the mo
Me too.

Going back to the chatty forum, I still get that Kaspersky warning so I'll not visit it anymore I think.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2014, 18:40:58 »

:whathesaid: , big is never better IMHO , to be honest I would still be on the Zone if it hadent  suddenly disappeared , it was a quiet corner of the web to have a rabbit on , the Tech Forum  has fulfilled that need 110%  for me ,
and yes I see 110% as illogical , but it will do for me Tommie :D ,
anyway I will post up about my ridge  line junction box leading to 20 metres
of flat twin bell wire to the BT socket ,then back via TP link ring main adapters to my
computer room , I get 39x9 Mbps out of a cap of BT fibre 40x10 mbps
so not really a issue , but the bell wire is loosely stapled along the fascia , and will have to go , soon as I have the time and a loan of a ladder  it will be changed,

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2014, 18:57:11 »
Glad you are happy roco

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2014, 19:38:11 »
big is never better IMHO
That can be true. I used to be a member of the OcUK forum and there were so many new posts (many thousands a day) that I gave up and stopped visiting as I didn't have the time to read them !

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2014, 19:06:16 »
I was just on Facebook and messing around I clicked on a link and again I had a warning off Kaspersky  :o

The link was http ://bank-account-refund.co.uk/n/

I added a space so it is not clickable.

I don't know if it's a false positive or not but I'm not risking access !

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2014, 19:20:42 »
It takes you to this site

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2014, 19:33:12 »
big is never better IMHO
That can be true. I used to be a member of the OcUK forum and there were so many new posts (many thousands a day) that I gave up and stopped visiting as I didn't have the time to read them !

Honestly, I feel a honest rant coming on but I feel it's not worth it. As it'll never return.

General Discussion is a train wreck on OcUK. Not only that the immaturity. So many members all they talk about and think it's hilarious when talking about human faeces. Or putting it through letter boxes.

For a shop forum I find the type of behaviour thats goes on their diabolically appalling. A huge computer shop and this is the type of behaviour that goes on for people to see that would normally go on some forum that isn't tied to anything.

Most forums were great places, now it's ruined by so many when their cigarettes are higher than their broadband monthly access. That and all you ever get now is social media talk, paper talk, economy, politics or people labelling others as racists/homophobic about facts.

Forums were very different last decade. Now every nut has a smartphone, net access and social media access that always manages to find a way to me even though I'm never looking for it. You hear about it or whats going on about it via radio, you get it via smart apps and twitter feeds through smart apps on any device. It's through the news, or news programmes, anything. It finds it's way to you even through friends or intelligent friends or intelligent joe's you watch on TV. You cannot get away from it. I'm so sick of hearing somebody's opinion thats pointless and so trivial.

I have nothing against social media if it's used correctly but we know we live in a world where everything gets abused and used for the wrong reasons. I am just so sick of trivia like it's gospel.

Sadly as well because the way so many people are nowadays, so many post on forums now like they're on social media. One time forums used to be so good it was a lot of great information. There's hardly a forum now out there that it's not some form of social media gossip information. Even most men nowadays are no longer acting like men online. It's like so many have becomes pansies in their slow brainwashing through the influence of advertising. So many people are so sensitive. I'm not implying people have to be hard asses but so many are so easily offended over the smallest thing and super sensitive.

The worst part about most forums nowadays is the moderators today. They ban innocent people even though they were part of the discussion that never caused the upset. No abuse, no swearing or any form of hostility. They use their big brush and just ban the people that were in the discussion rather than dealing with the offenders. Last decade this would rarely happen.

I've seen decent people get infractions/banning along with the offenders because it was the moderators easiest way in dealing with it.
Originally known as Quasimoto

snadge

« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2014, 09:37:37 »
Cappy is right...I used to love going on forums...now I only do so rarely and i know im going to attract some 'combatant' replies and I can't be assed with it, i usually just leave a thread that starts to go that way...

plus Iam working now and dont have much time... time is precious

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2014, 09:41:16 »
Cappy is right...I used to love going on forums...now I only do so rarely and i know im going to attract some 'combatant' replies and I can't be assed with it, i usually just leave a thread that starts to go that way...

plus Iam working now and dont have much time... time is precious
I also don't spend as much time on forums as I used to and for the same reason time or lack of it as I am in full time work.

Regarding the OCuK forum, I never used to find it that friendly to be honest. I think that smaller forums like this one are more friendly.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: 28 May 2014, 14:00:36 »
I honestly believe social media has brought out the worst of so many people online that it's ran through everything.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 28 May 2014, 15:57:16 »
I honestly believe social media has brought out the worst of so many people online that it's ran through everything.
Agreed  :)

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2014, 16:12:53 »
A narcissistic shallow society. I think I read it from someones post on OcUK when someone said some people think "Facebook Likes" actually resolves something in the world. Wasn't word for word but you get the gist of it.