Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatty Forums 'infected'  (Read 2567 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Chatty Forums 'infected'
« on: 10 May 2014, 22:48:39 »
Advertisement
Talking about Trust, I sometimes get an alert from Kaspersky when I try to update java when I visit a forum.

It could just be Kaspersky being too cautious but as I don't get the alert off any other website I don't risk it !

Sorry I don't know how to make the second attachment smaller  :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]

snadge

Re: Re: Can you trust Web Of Trust?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2014, 09:48:33 »
Sorry I don't know how to make the second attachment smaller  :-[
#

sounds like the website your visiting is faking your java message and Kaspersky is spot on

you should download and install the 32-Bit JAVA (32-Bit browser see) from here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

then revisit the problematic page and if the message still pops up then its the page is bogus and nothing to do with Java update... Java Updater runs on your computer and should always keep it up to date

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2014, 12:45:50 »
could also be that your java is "too up to date" and their site doesn't work with latest version,that can cause issues

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 18:21:46 »
sounds like the website your visiting is faking your java message and Kaspersky is spot on

you should download and install the 32-Bit JAVA (32-Bit browser see) from here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

then revisit the problematic page and if the message still pops up then its the page is bogus and nothing to do with Java update... Java Updater runs on your computer and should always keep it up to date
I have updated java and I still get that message on that forum.

To be honest the admin doesn't really keep up to date with security a bit like James at DSL Zone.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2014, 18:22:53 »
could also be that your java is "too up to date" and their site doesn't work with latest version,that can cause issues
Don't think so as I have no issues with any other website besides that forum I rarely visit now so I'm not that bothered.

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2014, 18:28:39 »
Don't think so as I have no issues with any other website besides that forum I rarely visit now so I'm not that bothered.
if that one site isn't working with latest version of java why would you think you would have issues with sites that were ok with it??

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2014, 18:49:58 »
the site forum shouldnt need Java to run

what is the forum?

steve is right, what happens if its trying to open a Java applet on the site to run a program of sorts on the page and it was made ages (years) ago then it may not work on latest version of JAVA

it sounds like one of them fake websites to me that....

give us the forums address so we can investigate, although remove the .co.uk or .com from the end so its not turned into a link, we'll do that, just if its a nasty site google will see us pointing too it

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2014, 18:56:20 »
if that one site isn't working with latest version of java why would you think you would have issues with sites that were ok with it??
I didn't.

I only updated java as snadge gave me a legit link besides my version of java was out of date anyway.

As snadge says it's a good idea to always run the latest version of java for security reasons.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2014, 18:58:16 »
give us the forums address so we can investigate, although remove the .co.uk or .com from the end so its not turned into a link, we'll do that, just if its a nasty site google will see us pointing too it

://chattybunch.conforums.com/index.cgi

There is the 'http' prefix missing to avoid it turning into a link.

p.s. by the way as I have managed to turn this thread off-topic, admin feel free to move my posts to a new thread  ;)

snadge

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2014, 16:24:57 »
you want to ask the admin why they have adverts of fake messages telling you that java is out of date!! that when clicked on advise fake messages and download many spywares to your PC!!!

also when i posted on their forum to warn them...i clicked POST and the google download player page appeared!!!  i would stay off that forum 100%, ive put this evidence on your post on their website...i will be deleting my account soon

- didn't see it at first as Adblock Plus removed it, had to disable that and it popped up

FAKE JAVA ALERT ADVERT:

TAKES YOU HERE:

THEN ASKS YOU TO DOWNLOAD AND RUN THIS:

VIRUS TOTAL ANALYSIS RESULTS FOR THE FILE (without execution, usually after executing the file is when Malware appears):

TRY TO INSTALL THE FOLLOWING SPYWARE ONCE RUN: (Tested in Sandboxie)

and again when i try to register and then login

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2014, 21:18:21 »
........see above.... but as soon as i "popped back" to their website...merely visiting the page

redirected me to:

edit: also you and one of the staff have 70,000 posts between you, yet there is only 1323 posts in total for the forum as a whole?? - could just be admin playing with the numbers too make it look like youve posted more....to what gain i dunno...

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Chatty Forums 'infected'
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2014, 23:02:35 »
Thanks snadge.

I won't be visiting until the forum is sorted as I don't want to risk malware on my PC.

Kaspersky has never let me down this is why I don't mind paying an annual subscription for peace of mind.

p.s. after the warning came up, I ran a full scan (which took almost 2 hours) and no malware was found thank goodness.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2014, 23:11:24 »
edit: also you and one of the staff have 70,000 posts between you, yet there is only 1323 posts in total for the forum as a whole?? - could just be admin playing with the numbers too make it look like youve posted more....to what gain i dunno...
No I have been a member for many years and I had many thousands of posts but the original forum was run by 'Suddenlaunch' which last year closed down their domain (for whatever reason) and admin decided to move to a new host (the website you registered with) and keep the original post counts and transfer them over to the new forum.

To be honest 2 of the admin have died and they used to keep the forum 'alive', since their demise the forum is to all intents and purposes dead.

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2014, 06:15:26 »
No I have been a member for many years and I had many thousands of posts but the original forum was run by 'Suddenlaunch' which last year closed down their domain (for whatever reason) and admin decided to move to a new host (the website you registered with) and keep the original post counts and transfer them over to the new forum.

To be honest 2 of the admin have died and they used to keep the forum 'alive', since their demise the forum is to all intents and purposes dead.

a bit like this one since me & Tom started working lol...

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2014, 07:31:02 »
Yea it will pick up one day

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2014, 07:36:11 »

a bit like this one since me & Tom started working lol...
Yeah it is a bit quiet, we could do with some more members !

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2014, 07:48:14 »
Yes we do need more members but it's hard trying to get them

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2014, 20:38:35 »
Yes we do need more members but it's hard trying to get them
or to get members to post , but it seems general on forums these days ,
I post when I can coz although my topic could be crap , at least if one person responds
it keeps things going,
Hey if some member posts it's raining  cats and dogs here , or my car failed it's MOT etc , it will start a conversation , not exactly Tech stuff but keeps interest going,

just my thoughts , as a ex member of a USA forum (80.000 + members and no new posts for 3 days  :o )

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2014, 00:28:54 »
just my thoughts , as a ex member of a USA forum (80.000 + members and no new posts for 3 days  :o )
That's a lot worse than here with only a handful of members  lol:1

snadge

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2014, 08:49:12 »
That's a lot worse than here with only a handful of members  lol:1

I may be wrong but link me too the forum..i bet 99% of those 80,000 users are non posters and likely to be automated bot (and human) spammers that signed up, they never post but sign up to 100's/1000's of forums THEN start spamming...but some may get blocked upon spamming